Citroen C5 (2002) LDS leak issue

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sparkyuiop
My Cars: Citroen C5 2002

Citroen C5 (2002) LDS leak issue

Post by sparkyuiop »

Hi all. I keep getting banging noises from the rear of the car when going down a pothole or over a speed bump.

I looked through some of the posts on here to get an idea what to investigate but I couldn't find anyone with the same issue and car as me so I am a bit stuck and would very much appreciate some assistance.

The first thing I was going to look for was the so called "bump stops" but I noticed something that looked a bit more desperate. I'm not sure what these (in the pictures) things are. They look like some hydraulic arm on the other side of the sphere.

Other than the rubbers being shot the one on the passenger rear side had some fluid pour out when I squeezed it. It wasn't much, about 1/4 of an egg cup but I assume that means an LDS leak?

I then put the car into the low position and unscrewed the LDS tank lid. It actually says "power stewering" on it but I am assuming it does both? The tank is about a 1/3 full and I am guessing is to low? Also the little cup under the screw cap is bone dry.

The car is 2002 and it has done us well for the 18 months we have had it so if this isn't worth doing it isn't the end of the world. However I do like the car and it is perfect for a family so I'd like to keep it if it is fixable for a reasonable price. Unless I need special tools I can also do the repair myself.

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.

Rear Drivers Side
GOPR0059.JPG
Rear Passenger Side
GOPR0056.JPG
Rear Passenger Side
GOPR0051.JPG
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Re: Citroen C5 (2002) LDS leak issue

Post by 411514 »

Banging/cracking noises are usually rear arm bearings. These are not expensive to change. Parts alone likely cost £50-£100 for both sides, plus £150 labour if you are not doing it yourself.

I wouldn’t be too worried about the lds in the boots. It is normal for a small dribble of lds to be in the boots. Indeed, when fitting new boots it is advised to syringe a small amount of lds in. Just change boots and I bet they will be fine.

Lds level doesn’t sound too far off correct. Level should be at bottom of cup when suspension is in low setting.
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Post by 411514 »

P.s it is quite likely that the bump stops will be missing. They fall of easily as they degrade. I tend to lose one a year. They won’t be the cause of the knocking noise.

They are a number of posts on here concerning changing the rear arm bearings. No special tools needed, just a decent tool kit and best part of a day first time.
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Those gaiters aren't expensive.
I had one replaced a few years ago, it was £13.

It can be a problem getting the "R" clip out if the suspension arm to replace them though.
The gaiters should have LDS in them - it is returned to the reservoir through one of the two tubes attached - the other being a breather.
sparkyuiop
My Cars: Citroen C5 2002

Post by sparkyuiop »

Thankyou to everyone for their help with this. I will replace the bearings and the gators and hopefully she will give us another year or two. I have only just MOT'd it recently (Kwick Fit) and it came back without any advisorys. Not bad for an old Mk1 C5.

Anyway thank you all again.