Jacking points Saxo VTR.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

aladinsane

Jacking points Saxo VTR.

Post by aladinsane »

Hello, Does anyone have a picture of the exact place to jack a Saxo VTR up using the sill jacking points, not sure where I am jacking is correct on the rear of this vehicle, its creaking when I lift it with a trolley jack, and it just does not feel right to me, all this and the hand book indicates these sill jacking points are strengthened, so I think where I am jacking is right and its following the arrow on the body kit but, it is not sitting well with me.Help!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Jacking points Saxo VTR.

Post by CitroJim »

Jack on the hardened areas of the sills where the emergency wheel-change jack goes... Those areas are obvious as they have little 'ears' each side of them... Jack between the 'ears'...

Jacking up the rear with the handbrake on may be giving ride to the noise. Chock the front wheels and pop it into 5th gear before jacking up. As the car rises the rear wheel still on the ground must be free to rotate as the effective wheelbase changes as the car rises and falls.

If it still creaks, the noise is likely to be emanating from the rear beam bearings and may indicate they're on their last legs. This can be confirmed by bouncing the rear suspension with the handbrake off and listening for creaks... Also look for excess negative camber (/--\) on the rear wheels when looking at them end on. badly worn bearings will cause the inside edge of the tyre to contact the wheelarch.

If the sills are structurally weak due to rust the noise ill be different; a sickening crunching/crumbling noise reminiscent of scrunching up a paper bag!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
aladinsane

Post by aladinsane »

Thanks very much for the swift reply, seems I am jacking exactly where you are indicating and it creaks. People who jack with the hand brake on are those that really rely on changing the wheel once lifted, what I mean is they do i fotr speed ,and do not bother to partly loosen the wheel studs[bolts] whilst it is on the ground, this to me is foolhardy because if the handbrake is not spot on and holding well, then the wheel turns and has to be lowered again to loosen the studs.I have looked all over this internet for a picture of someone showing this jacking point to no avail, there are many pictures[photos] of the underneath of this car, but there is not one of someone actually pointing this jacking point out, [the 'ears' are the cut outs in the sill body kit] moreover I will in due course remedy this by supplying a picture as this is a much asked and never quite answered question.

This car is lowered to an inch of its life and all done properly,no chafing of anything or on anything, it was my sons and he did it up like a Xmas tree, hard suspension, no problems with bearings,but being nearly fifteen years old I take on board what your saying about rust and favour this blind diagnosis above all others, and believe this is probably the case.

At nearly 68 years old, around cars all my life from being 17 yrs old, I profess to knowing a little bit, and doing a little bit, but even all the rust buckets I have worked on from the Morris Minor onward I have yet to lift directly under the sill, this with a trolley jack, not the wheel change emergency jack] this reinforced sill is probably a quirk of the French, not good and I will not be lifting it there again .
chinkostu
My Cars: N Xantia 1.9TD SX
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Post by chinkostu »

Try and drive it onto a few blocks of wood if its lowered, that way you can jack it up at the rear arm mounting or the front wishbone mount. I've jacked plenty up on the legit points and unless its rotten as a pear they're usually fine on them, they're not a heavy car in all fairness.

If the rears creaking when you're jacking it and its been lowered i'd look at the rear arm bearings, lots of people smashed the end of the arm off to lower it (as the torsion bars stick) and it ruins the bearings. Easily spotted if the wheels look like this /--\ from behind. Wouldn't be the handbrake as its a lever that acts on the caliper piston so unlikely to make enough noise when the wheel rotates (unlike drums which make a distinct noise!!)
Stu

Cars
1995 Xantia 1.9TD SX in (faded) Red
2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in GREEEEEEEN
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1999 Punto :oops:
1996 306 1.8 XN Auto :?
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o
aladinsane

Post by aladinsane »

Nothing smashed on this, all done properly as I indicated, sad story attached to this Saxo, it was my sons who was in the British Army, he was very interested in it, but he is not interested in very much at all now,is that why I keep it, Lord knows, but it is so difficult to let go.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

aladinsane wrote: 30 Oct 2017, 19:43I keep it, Lord knows, but it is so difficult to let go.

I understand that entirely :) I love my little Saxo and you do rather become attached to them...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
chinkostu
My Cars: N Xantia 1.9TD SX
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Post by chinkostu »

aladinsane wrote: 30 Oct 2017, 19:43 Nothing smashed on this, all done properly as I indicated, sad story attached to this Saxo, it was my sons who was in the British Army, he was very interested in it, but he is not interested in very much at all now,is that why I keep it, Lord knows, but it is so difficult to let go.

Sentimental value trumps all.

Was it a garage that lowered it? As the ill fated "spline" method was actually the posted method by a few publications until they realised the bearing issue. I've even had stock rear beams die from the same fate, just lowering accellerates it. Not an easy job to repair but do able
Stu

Cars
1995 Xantia 1.9TD SX in (faded) Red
2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in GREEEEEEEN
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1999 Punto :oops:
1996 306 1.8 XN Auto :?
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o
aladinsane

Post by aladinsane »

CitroJim wrote: 31 Oct 2017, 07:01 I understand that entirely :) I love my little Saxo and you do rather become attached to them...

Well yes I suppose one does become attached to them, but seriously I would never in a million years have owned a Saxo, too much like the dodgems for me. However you have it wrong, its not the Saxo I love, not at all, its the young man who once tended it that I love, it was his car. and that is why I think I cant let go. Chinkostu has it bang on,'sentimental value trumps all', it will have to go though one day...
Last edited by myglaren on 31 Oct 2017, 17:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quotation for clarity.
aladinsane

Post by aladinsane »

:-k :-k :-k
chinkostu wrote: 31 Oct 2017, 09:45
Was it a garage that lowered it? As the ill fated "spline" method was actually the posted method by a few publications until they realised the bearing issue. !
My son and two of his friends, one a mechanic, lowered it, heaven knows why!. :-k
aladinsane

Post by aladinsane »

chinkostu wrote: 30 Oct 2017, 10:46 Try and drive it onto a few blocks of wood if its lowered, that way you can jack it up at the rear arm mounting or the front wishbone mount. I've jacked plenty up on the legit points and unless its rotten as a pear they're usually fine on them, they're not a heavy car in all fairness.

If the rears creaking when you're jacking it and its been lowered i'd look at the rear arm bearings, lots of people smashed the end of the arm off to lower it (as the torsion bars stick) and it ruins the bearings. Easily spotted if the wheels look like this /--\ from behind. Wouldn't be the handbrake as its a lever that acts on the caliper piston so unlikely to make enough noise when the wheel rotates (unlike drums which make a distinct noise!!)
Show me in a picture these areas you refer to please, as I am sure loads of other Saxo owners would like to know about these areas in which to lift, thanks
aladinsane

Post by aladinsane »

Picture of my actual low entry trolley jack in situ with car lifted using the Saxo jacking point [ note the cut back panel forming the shape of an ear].under the strengthened sill, note on this lowered vehicle when lifting from this particular jacking point the jack actually lifts the whole of the side, i.e. front and rear wheels off the ground, lifting this way puts tremendous strain on the vehicle whereas lifting a non lowered vehicle the rear wheels stay on the ground which puts less strain on the vehicle. Lifting with a trolley jack in this area under the sill [when wheel changing] personally I would not recommend,far better to use the chassis and distribute the weight
Attachments
IMG_2772.JPG
IMG_2768.JPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Looks like you have some serious rust there :(

I'd be investigating that and taking any necessary remedial action.
Jim

aladinsane

Post by aladinsane »

[quote=CitroJim post_id=558675 time=1511847370 user_id=4651]
Looks like you have some serious rust there :
Car is SORN, I have done loads of work to it.I need a temporary insurance next, and then up for MOT where any welding needed will be done, then I will put it back on the road. Really speaking it has lifted on all four jacking points with a trolley jack so it seems it is structurally safe, otherwise the jack would push through and penetrate the sill . However I take your point[s], however the objective is for these pictures to show the jacking points to the wider audience , it really is up to the person with the car whether they use them or not, personally I think it unwise for the reasons previously indicated..