Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6 HDi Exclusive EGS 5dr 2007 TO BUY OR NOT TO BUY

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kiehugh
My Cars: 206 and Megane CC

Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6 HDi Exclusive EGS 5dr 2007 TO BUY OR NOT TO BUY

Post by kiehugh »

I am look at a Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6 HDi Exclusive EGS 5dr 2007 with circa 80k on the clock. On the market for around £2.5k

This is the first Citroen that I have looked at. Advert shows 12 months MOT and full service history. Looking for some advice on what to look out for on a 2007 model, common faults, issues, big servicing jobs that should have been done or up coming up the road.

I keep seeing engine and gearbox issues???

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6 HDi Exclusive EGS 5dr 2007 TO BUY OR NOT TO BUY

Post by GiveMeABreak »

These 1.6 EGS systems basically have a gearbox and a clutch, but are activated with electrohydraulic actuators. So although you might think they are automatics - they are not. The system just changes the gears and engages / disengages the clutch for you. These systems are very fiddly and expensive to replace if they go wrong, so personally, I would never have one - go either full manual or fully automatic (in my opinion).

You can read about some of the issues - especially if the wrong oil is used here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=57855&hilit=EGS#p536487
This member has the same system on his C5.

The cars overall are great value for money - but like anything - consider the usual key things - evidence of servicing by main dealer is always reassuring, but clutch / dual mass flywheel - have these been replaced? - if not expect to replace both when the clutch is due. Evidence of servicing is key and more importantly on the 1.6 frequent oil changes.

At this mileage the timing belt and water pump may not be due based on mileage - but it is 10 years old, so if it has not been done already it will need doing as it is an age related requirement at 10 years.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
kiehugh

Post by kiehugh »

I have read that you can drive the EGS as an auto?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You can choose to change gear by manually moving the gear changer up or down (flappy paddles in this case), or put it into automatic drive and the car will do it for you. BUT it does not have an automatic gearbox as I said - it just changes gears by computer control using a normal clutch and normal manual gearbox.

In this picture, you have the lever at the top which you can put into M for manual, A for auto N for Neutral. If in manual, you then use the 'flappy' paddles on the left or right of the steering wheel to change gear up or down as you want.
EGS.PNG
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
kiehugh

Post by kiehugh »

Fabulous - thanks for the update. I am just starting to look so the Citroen tech is all new to me
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

I've been tempted by these and the 2.0 Diesel Grand Picasso. The gearbox puts me right off though my wife's friend has a 2010 one since new and it's been faultless.
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Post by 411514 »

An elderly relative of mine has a Peugeot with a 'Sensodrive' gearbox, which seems a fairly similar in mode of operation.

In my view, whilst it is fine as a shopping car for her purposes, I wouldn't fancy it as a daily driver if you are doing big or high-speed mileage. Their car is a little older (2006), and so maybe things have improved since, but it is not confidence inspiring to drive, its never in the right gear, jerky, and over-revving (as far as I know it is not faulty, just not particularly good).

I then personally would avoid the EGS, and go for manual or a proper automatic, in particular given that the EGS does seem to be a little delicate.
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

Even though the ad says the car has FSH check the air filter has been changed. These are in a stupid position at the rear of the engine and often are left. 80k miles in ten years means short journey's around town, engine never getting hot enough for the emission system to do its job. Check if the egr valve and dpf have been replaced, or at least, cleaned out. Check the turbo is okay, make sure the electric handbrake works as it should, in fact make sure everything electrical works. :roll: Make sure the rear door opens.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

True, da ^^^^

If I may refer you here for my own experience of a claimed "FSH" including a recent full service and no mention of a cambelt, when I serviced my 1.6HDI -> viewtopic.php?p=455543#p455543
kiehugh

Post by kiehugh »

It starts to feel like that i should look at alternatives as there is alot to look for
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I (probably) wouldn't buy this. At 80k it is probably ready for a clutch and this is a £1k job on this car, and needs someone who knows what they are doing and has the right diagnostic kit. The engine is notorious 16V version, which at 80k will just about be ready to lunch the turbo if it hasn't already. The EGS is a bit of acquired taste, and needs to be 'driven around' - unless you need an auto I would buy a manual.

If it's had a new clutch, and it has a full dealer service history, and there is no evidence of coal building up around the injectors, I might give it a punt, but I would negotiate hard!!
Richard W