Engine Hot - STOP

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nilrem
My Cars: C4 Picasso 2007
Peugeot Partner Tepee 2016

Engine Hot - STOP

Post by nilrem »

Hello
A continuing saga - Got this Alarm message up on the M25 (yes that slow moving circular Parking Zone) on my way to Pevencey Bay 3 wks ago. Managed to get to campsite after tapping Rad Stat Housing and called out Green Flag/Directline breakdown service 1st callout in 10years. They changed the Rad Stat and tested the fan cut-in OK, but on the way home 2wks later got the same Alarm up when car was at a standstill engine running (was a hot day 25*C+),[Fan did not cut-in] - alarm cleared when car was moving again - whats going on !!??

A couple of days ago I used a 10K potentiometer to simulate the Rad/Stat housing temp probe, where upon the Fan cut-in on low speed (note no visual Alarm showing) then the Fan went to Hi speed later and got the High Temp Alarm & STOP indication (Fan Low spd = 13amps; Hi spd = 30amps )

It would help me if I had the plumbing arrangement for the Engine Cooling System and or a cooling water flow diagram along with an electrical schematic, to aid the dianostics of the problem can someone help with this.

Q1... are there other Temp Sensors within the cooling system that are relevant to Fan cut-in.
Q2...what are the Fan Lo & Hi Cut-In temperatures.
Q3...Rad Stat opening temperature.

At the moment I'm loth to approach a gararge cos over the last 4-6wks I've invested
£1300 in ware & tear parts and an 'auto Hand Break fault diagnostics' - (ths fault turned out to be a Faulty EGR valve.. how the hell can that be so, it seems as if all the ECU's want a piece of the action - nosy so and so's)

Joe's... 2007 C4 Picasso 1.6HDi Exc.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Engine Hot - STOP

Post by RichardW »

One of the C4 Pic bugbears is no temp gauge (mind you, it would only tell you what the ECU wanted you to know, so of questionable use!).

I too had handbrake faults that took me ages to work out was the EGR valve - no idea why they programmed it like that! I changed the brake light switch, repaired wires behind the battery, and fitted a new underbonnet fuse box before I worked it out!

You need to get some live data to see what's going on - it might be worth investing a Lexia diagnostic kit. or at least seeing if someone near by can review it. AFAIK there is only the one sensor on the stat housing. A/C also has an effect on the cooling fan, it's possible that a demand from the AC system not being met with fan running may put the high temp warning on.
Richard W
nilrem

Post by nilrem »

Hi Richard
Thanks for replying - I do have a DialogBox as Pics shows but the software is on an old XP computer that I'm having trouble with - a bit hit and miss - and am not very coversant with it - you ask for a Lexia Diagnostic tool - is this better or can my tool be used with the Lexia Software if so can I download it from a site or purchase a disc with it on - or can I get a fresh copy of the DiagBox software...joe
Attachments
20170721_202818.jpg
20170721_202741.jpg
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

That's the one you need. Used to be called Lexia, but they changed the name of the software to Diagbox; Lexia use from habit!
Richard W
nilrem

Post by nilrem »

Thanks Richard ... I'm in the light - I think
I've been playing it after charging the old Acer Laptop fully, will plug it in tomorrow and report back - I think I have Diagbox Version 07.33 V7 does that ring a bell or do I need to upgrade, another Q sorry... will my new Win10 HP Laptop work with Diagbox.
Can I purchase an up to date Diagbox Ver for Win 10..joe
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

7.33 will be fine fine for an 07 C4 Pic - mine works OK on 7.02.

Diagbox won't run directly under Win 10 - if this is your only machine you need to install a 32 bit virtual machine running Win 7 or earlier. I use Oracle Virtual box, running Vista (because that's what I had!) - it's a bit of a PITA to set up!
Richard W
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Nilrem, just to add - regarding Diagbox:

The Diagbox package contains both the Lexia and Peugeot Planet 2000 software embedded. However, Lexia and PP2000 are legacy 16 bit applications and therefore the 16 bit code cannot run on native 64 operating systems, without a virtual machine set up, running a 32 bit guest operating system. So if your car is 2005 or earlier, Lexia will be needed, so you will need to have a 32 Bit OS on your laptop for it to work, If your car is 2006-on, Diagbox should work fine and therefore you can use diagbox on a 64 bit OS - as long as you will not be using it any other vehicles that will require Lexia / PP2000 in the future as those 2 programmes will not launch.

Windows 10 will work with Diagbox now - but may need some additional tweaks to the controller settings - and the available Diagbox versions we have may not work work above 7.66. For the widest compatibility, stick to Windows 7 32 bit (I've omitted XP on security grounds as that is no longer a supported OS and updates are not longer available). If you want to try it on your HP laptop, go ahead it might be fine - it is very hit and miss. But be aware that Diagbox is a very messy installation and runs a lot of services on startup - take a system restore point before installation, so that if it goes toes up, you can at least restore your registry to a pre-Diagbox install state.

Re the temp sensors, post up your VIN and Richard or I can have a check for you.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
nilrem

Post by nilrem »

Richard & GiveMeABreak

2007 C4P 1.6HDi Exc - - Vin VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] UD9H7H 4575845

Not yet simulated the RadStat housing temp probe with the 10 turn pot - will do tomorrow if it aint raining - my Acer Laptop is working (XP Op/sys) now, but is rather slow

Many thanks for helping...joe