XM fuel gauge sender/pump needed

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

garryd

XM fuel gauge sender/pump needed

Post by garryd »

The gauge in my 1998 Exclusive hatchback TDi is intermittent. Can't buy one on internet - no longer manufactured by either VDO or Pierburg it seems. Can anyone help with a unit rescued from a scrap car? Preferably working, but I believe there is a company in USA that can repair non-working units.

I'm fed up keeping a can of diesel in the boot in case I run dry.

Garryd

Paul-R
Donor 2020

Re: XM fuel gauge sender/pump needed

Post by Paul-R »

When the fuel pump on our Xsara failed in 2011 (in Hungary!) we had to have a new one fitted. When we got the car back I noticed that the fuel gauge was much less accurate and also intermittent compared to the old one. When we got back to the UK I took the combined unit out of the car and partially dismantled it. I was then able to bend the sweep arm that makes contact with the coiled resistance wire a little so that it pressed a bit more and didn't hop around.

As yours is still working a bit this may also be your problem. Worth a try surely?

garryd

Re: XM fuel gauge sender/pump needed

Post by garryd »

Thanks Paul, I'm sure you're right.
My trouble is that I can no longer do my own repairs (I'm one of the ones referred to at the tail of your response: my answer is that "Old age never comes alone - it brings all its unwelcome friends!").
So I have to rely on the good auspices of the nearest Citroen agent. And while they have done me sterling service over the years nowadays they tend to do only drop-in repairs and won't fiddle around with "non-serviceable items", eg I am in the process of fixing both front window regulators. (At least I can sit on the seats...)
Hence my seeking a complete fuel gauge unit to get repaired and for them to swap over.
It gets harder by the years to keep the XM going (as it was becoming when I sold my last Xantia - there were things on that that "couldn't be fixed" except by someone who had the tenacity and capability to get inside the box.
Meanwhile I drive around with a full tank most of the time and count down the miles on the odometer until I think it's about time I had a refill. :(
Regards

Garryd