XM fuel gauge sender/pump needed

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

garryd
My Cars: Past ownership:
4 XMs,
3 C5s (presently running 2008 Exclusive HD138 6 speed auto)
2 Xantias both auto petrol
2010 C3 Exclusive manual petrol, (now in daughter's possession)
2008 C2 Cool manual petrol (now in grandson's possession)

XM fuel gauge sender/pump needed

Post by garryd »

The gauge in my 1998 Exclusive hatchback TDi is intermittent. Can't buy one on internet - no longer manufactured by either VDO or Pierburg it seems. Can anyone help with a unit rescued from a scrap car? Preferably working, but I believe there is a company in USA that can repair non-working units.

I'm fed up keeping a can of diesel in the boot in case I run dry.

Garryd
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: XM fuel gauge sender/pump needed

Post by Paul-R »

When the fuel pump on our Xsara failed in 2011 (in Hungary!) we had to have a new one fitted. When we got the car back I noticed that the fuel gauge was much less accurate and also intermittent compared to the old one. When we got back to the UK I took the combined unit out of the car and partially dismantled it. I was then able to bend the sweep arm that makes contact with the coiled resistance wire a little so that it pressed a bit more and didn't hop around.

As yours is still working a bit this may also be your problem. Worth a try surely?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
garryd
My Cars: Past ownership:
4 XMs,
3 C5s (presently running 2008 Exclusive HD138 6 speed auto)
2 Xantias both auto petrol
2010 C3 Exclusive manual petrol, (now in daughter's possession)
2008 C2 Cool manual petrol (now in grandson's possession)

Re: XM fuel gauge sender/pump needed

Post by garryd »

Thanks Paul, I'm sure you're right.
My trouble is that I can no longer do my own repairs (I'm one of the ones referred to at the tail of your response: my answer is that "Old age never comes alone - it brings all its unwelcome friends!").
So I have to rely on the good auspices of the nearest Citroen agent. And while they have done me sterling service over the years nowadays they tend to do only drop-in repairs and won't fiddle around with "non-serviceable items", eg I am in the process of fixing both front window regulators. (At least I can sit on the seats...)
Hence my seeking a complete fuel gauge unit to get repaired and for them to swap over.
It gets harder by the years to keep the XM going (as it was becoming when I sold my last Xantia - there were things on that that "couldn't be fixed" except by someone who had the tenacity and capability to get inside the box.
Meanwhile I drive around with a full tank most of the time and count down the miles on the odometer until I think it's about time I had a refill. :(
Regards

Garryd