Xantia 'Clever Dicky' required

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fridgedoc
My Cars:

Xantia 'Clever Dicky' required

Post by fridgedoc »

Hi guys & girls
The old Xantia took ages to get started so in my great wisdom ..... it must be the glow plugs, cold weather bad stating ...........
errr no ............... I've changed the glow plugs no difference ......... so I'm in need of Clever Dicky ......

I turn ignition on light goes out, ignition off, back on again, light goes out, try to start car pumps pedal, no starty, ignition off then on, light goes out turn over and pump pedal after about 5 or 6 seconds trying to starty then yay starty deep breath and off we are going.
It takes like for ever to start, even thought it may have been fuel so pumped bulb to make sure fuel was up, no difference.

Any pointers gratefully received
Bonne Chance

Stephen

LHD Xantia 1994 (deceased)
LHD Xantia 1995 Berline
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Re: Xantia 'Clever Dicky' required

Post by demag »

Do you always pump the pedal? You shouldn't have to, it should start without.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
Harlequin
Donor 2023
My Cars: Xantia Activa - one day I`ll own her again! Also miss my `old` 405 GLx4
2005 C5 3 Litre V6 Exclusive in Mauritius Blue and my 1997 Xantia Exclusive V6

Post by Harlequin »

how quickly does the light go out? it could be the glow plug relay
Simon
aerodynamica
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C5 Exclusive Tourer
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD VSX Mk1 Sinker A.K.A Slugmobile 13'
'Old Katy'
previous convictions: totaling 52litres of LHM in one go:
1968 ID19B 'Old Polly' Stellar white
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD SX Mk1 Sinker Silver
1992 XM 2.0 SEi Turbo Manual Anthracite Grey
1982 CX 20 Pallas 'Old Goldy'
1993 XM 2.1 SD Auto Light blue
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD SX Mk1 Sinker light Blue
1982 BX 16 TRS 'Cyril' Vallelunga Red
1995 Xantia 1.9 D SX Auto Dark green
1977 CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic 'Aphrodite' Regatta Blue
1982 GSA Pallas SE Silver Pearl
1980 CX 2000 Reflex Vallelunga Red
1978 CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic 'Prometheus' Midnight blue
1984 BX 14E 'Cecil the slugmobile' Maroon
1987 Fiat Panda 'the mighty panda'

Post by aerodynamica »

Hi Stephen, sorry to hear of your woes, well first question I have is that when it does eventually start do you get any big cloud of exhaust smoke?

Second thing : the light on the dash comes on and goes out (glowplugs) but it is possible that the plugs themselves are not 'glowing' , best to get a volt meter on the nearest glow plug top and earth to see if it's getting 12v in the first place. Could be a problem with the glow plug relay or its connector or earth point.

Have a check of that first to eliminate from the enquiry :)
Graeme M
2008 C5 Exclusive Tourer 2.0 HDi
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If the glow plugs are getting power you might want to test them. The best way is also possibly the most dangerous way to test them, as they will get very hot (if they work), so you do not want to touch them or have anything flammable nearby when you test them.

Remove the glow plugs, and secure put one into a vice. Using a decent car battery and heavy duty leads, hold the negative cable to the body of the glow plug, and the positive cable to the top threaded part of the glow plug. The TIP of the glow plug should heat up and glow. If it does not, or the glow happens further down the element from the tip, the glow plug is not working properly and needs to be replaced.

I recall when somebody had a Peugeot people carrier with starting problems and I suggested testing the glow plugs (after making sure to point out it could be dangerous). He went ahead, and found 3 out of the four plugs were faulty. He replaced the set, and the car started up properly after that.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
fridgedoc
My Cars:

Post by fridgedoc »

Thanks all, that will give me something to do, lol .......... the glow plugs are all new, I did cold test the old ones and they all were only an ohm or so so they seem all OK
Graeme M ... no black smoke on start up, going to be a bit of a bugger to check voltage at plug as I don't have anyone to assist, but I could check using the relay, if I knew where is was ! ..... is the block not the earth?
I'll report back soon'ish
Bonne Chance

Stephen

LHD Xantia 1995 Berline
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Are you sure that the fuel isn't draining back to the tank and needing priming? Xantias do that often, I've fitted non return valves in the line at times to get around the problem.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Non-Return-Va ... 1519110751
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If the glow plugs are all new (and are the right ones for the engine!) that should rule them out as a cause of the problem.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:If the glow plugs are all new (and are the right ones for the engine!) that should rule them out as a cause of the problem.
- but check that they are getting a supply.
Chris
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

white exec wrote:
Hell Razor5543 wrote:If the glow plugs are all new (and are the right ones for the engine!) that should rule them out as a cause of the problem.
- but check that they are getting a supply.
True.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
deian9
My Cars: 2004 C5 2.0i Exclusive

old ones in no particular order
Xsara HDi 110 auto
Xantia HDi 110 manual
Xantia V6 auto
Xantia 1.9td manual
XM 2.0i auto
ZX 1.9tdi manual
Xantia 2.1 manual
Pug 106 1.5d
Mercedes Benz C250TD
BMW e30 325i Sport manual
BMW e30 325i SE auto

Post by deian9 »

Lets assume the plugs work (even if kind of). Before u start the car and with the glowplug light on, keep waiting a few second after the light goes out and listen to the relay switching off. Then try it.

Failing that give it another warm up with the glowplugs after the first warm up. If it starts better after the second warm up, make a note to give the plugs two cycles before starting it next time see if it helps.

Three more things I'd try is to check for a clean and secure connection at the plugs themselves, if i remember correctly the connection is is held on by a nut, check it's tight.

Also check how the battery handles itself when it needs to power the plugs.

Finally try priming diesel pressure by squeezing the rubber bulb a few times, if it feels empty after switching off then u may have a small leak somewhere. If it takes a while to prime or it feels like it's also sucking air, that could cause difficulties too.
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

I would replace the injector leak off pipes, including the dead end one, a lump of pipe should be under a fiver, a pinhole here will give the symptoms you describe.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Stewart(oily) wrote:I would replace the injector leak off pipes, including the dead end one, a lump of pipe should be under a fiver, a pinhole here will give the symptoms you describe.

Absolutely yes... Those leakoff pipes should be replaced as a service item and the dead-end cap is often the biggest culprit. I never use them, I just use a short length of pipe doubled-back on itself and tied tightly with a couple of stout cable ties...

Many is the time I've seen 'proper' dead-ends split and leak very shortly after fitting...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
fridgedoc
My Cars:

Post by fridgedoc »

deian9 wrote:Lets assume the plugs work (even if kind of). Before u start the car and with the glowplug light on, keep waiting a few second after the light goes out and listen to the relay switching off. Then try it.

Failing that give it another warm up with the glowplugs after the first warm up. If it starts better after the second warm up, make a note to give the plugs two cycles before starting it next time see if it helps.

Three more things I'd try is to check for a clean and secure connection at the plugs themselves, if i remember correctly the connection is is held on by a nut, check it's tight.

Also check how the battery handles itself when it needs to power the plugs.

Finally try priming diesel pressure by squeezing the rubber bulb a few times, if it feels empty after switching off then u may have a small leak somewhere. If it takes a while to prime or it feels like it's also sucking air, that could cause difficulties too.
Did all of that at the start sadly no difference, thanks for your thoughts
Bonne Chance

Stephen

LHD Xantia 1995 Berline
fridgedoc
My Cars:

Post by fridgedoc »

CitroJim wrote:
Stewart(oily) wrote:I would replace the injector leak off pipes, including the dead end one, a lump of pipe should be under a fiver, a pinhole here will give the symptoms you describe.

Absolutely yes... Those leakoff pipes should be replaced as a service item and the dead-end cap is often the biggest culprit. I never use them, I just use a short length of pipe doubled-back on itself and tied tightly with a couple of stout cable ties...

Many is the time I've seen 'proper' dead-ends split and leak very shortly after fitting...
Mmmmmm interesting there is a whiff on diesel, thanks
Bonne Chance

Stephen

LHD Xantia 1995 Berline