Bleeding Xantia TD injector pump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kiwifrog
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 93 Xantia 1.9 TD
66 VW Panelvan
93 ST1100 Honda m/c

Bleeding Xantia TD injector pump

Post by kiwifrog »

I've just changed my diesel filter in my 93 xantia 1.9 TD , It will start but dies after a few minuites , is there a trick to bleeding the system ? My manual shows a bleeder on the 2.1 motor but not on the 1.9.
kiwifrog
(Donor 2020)
66 VW Panelvan
93 ST1100 Honda m/c

Re: Bleeding Xantia TD injector pump

Post by kiwifrog »

The manual said to drain the filter canister by undoing the drain screw and this is the only thing that looked like it but nothing came out the tube on the front . I finally worked out that the diesel is drained by undoing the fitting where the tube attaches to the housing. So have I upset anything by playing with the arrowed thing ?
Last edited by RichardW on 20 Nov 2016, 08:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tried to fix the img link, but photobucket says there's an error, can you check it?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Just pump the primer bulb with the ignition switched on. Pump the bulb until it goes a bit firm and all should be good...

If the problem persists then you may have an air leak as a result of your work... Likely on the filter lid... They can be a bit of a pain to get airtight again...

What sort of filter did you use.. Plastic-bodied ones are not the best and years back there was a whole rash of poorly made counterfeits out in the wild. Metal bodied filters are the best.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
kiwifrog
(Donor 2020)
66 VW Panelvan
93 ST1100 Honda m/c

Post by kiwifrog »

Its a MANN brand filter, p176, with mainly metal body, the one I took out was plastic. Im having trouble uploading a pic from Photobucket but the thing I was talking about is on the bottom right side of the filter housing , it looks like some kind of adjuster.
kiwifrog
(Donor 2020)
66 VW Panelvan
93 ST1100 Honda m/c

Post by kiwifrog »

Sorry that should read p716. I just went out and tried it again , priming it with the key on, it took a bit of cranking and finally started, the idle would fall after a few minuits but when I pumped the primer the revs would come back up. I turned it off and went and had dinner, went back out and wouldnt start without being primed first.
kiwifrog
(Donor 2020)
66 VW Panelvan
93 ST1100 Honda m/c

Post by kiwifrog »

Image Finally got my Photobucket to work, heres the thing I thought was the drain for the filter housing, I turned it a couple of times so would this have caused anything ? Again its on the lower right side of the filter housing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, that white thing is NOT the drain, it is the end of the thermostat that directs fuel into a labyrinth in the coolant/thermostat housing below the filter to assist with warming the fuel in cold weather...

In your neck of the woods it won't be needed. If disturbed as you did then it'll now be potentially damaged, leaking air and maybe leaking fuel too.. They do give trouble and are a major cause of air leaks on these housings...

Air leaks will cause exactly your symptoms.

The proper filter drain is a black knob with a spigot to which a length of hose can be attached...

I'd initially try turning the white bit back to where you started just in case it is blocking/restricting fuel flow but ultimately you may have cased an air leak and the only good solution is cover the white ends and its surround with epoxy resin or similar to completely seal it. Getting anything to stick is tricky though due to the body being made of ABS and the diesel fuel being hard to effectively clean from the filter body...

I hope and pray the problem is just that the thermostat is now just in the wrong position and is restricting fuel flow. Those filter housings are getting hard to get hold of now...

Let us know how it goes and good luck!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I've actually sealed one of those housings at the thermostat with blu tack in an emergency. It was one of those repairs that got forgotten about and was still leak free 2 years later when I got rid of the car. Epoxy should work a treat if you have damaged it at all.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Blu Tak James! The answer to one thousand and one problems... I use it for all sorts of things in the workshop, especially holding nuts to spanners and sockets... It's vital stuff when replacing 1.9TD glowplugs ;)

Good to know it can make a lasting repair to a filer housing too... Definitely worth keeping a lump in the car's emergency toolbox ;)
Jim

elma

Post by elma »

No idea why I had it in the glovebox that day but I shall forever more now. I just remember it was raining, I was late for uni and the car wouldn't start. When I popped the bonnet the damp patch made it obvious why and I headed straight for the blue stuff.
kiwifrog
(Donor 2020)
66 VW Panelvan
93 ST1100 Honda m/c

Post by kiwifrog »

CitroJim wrote:Yes, that white thing is NOT the drain, it is the end of the thermostat that directs fuel into a labyrinth in the coolant/thermostat housing below the filter to assist with warming the fuel in cold weather...

In your neck of the woods it won't be needed. If disturbed as you did then it'll now be potentially damaged, leaking air and maybe leaking fuel too.. They do give trouble and are a major cause of air leaks on these housings...

Air leaks will cause exactly your symptoms.

The proper filter drain is a black knob with a spigot to which a length of hose can be attached...

I'd initially try turning the white bit back to where you started just in case it is blocking/restricting fuel flow but ultimately you may have cased an air leak and the only good solution is cover the white ends and its surround with epoxy resin or similar to completely seal it. Getting anything to stick is tricky though due to the body being made of ABS and the diesel fuel being hard to effectively clean from the filter body...

I hope and pray the problem is just that the thermostat is now just in the wrong position and is restricting fuel flow. Those filter housings are getting hard to get hold of now...

Let us know how it goes and good luck!
Looks like I may have upset the thing we are talking about, when I pump the primer bulb diesel leaks from it.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

kiwifrog wrote: Looks like I may have upset the thing we are talking about, when I pump the primer bulb diesel leaks from it.
That'll be it then :(

The fix for that is above... Try James's Blu Tak trick first ;)
Jim

kiwifrog
(Donor 2020)
66 VW Panelvan
93 ST1100 Honda m/c

Post by kiwifrog »

I have one of these for another project, what are your thoughts of bypassing the factory canister and plumbing this in ? I know it wont be heated but its dosnt get that cold here. I noticed theres a sensor on the factory canister, is that for temp ?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

kiwifrog wrote:Image
I have one of these for another project, what are your thoughts of bypassing the factory canister and plumbing this in ? I know it wont be heated but its dosnt get that cold here. I noticed theres a sensor on the factory canister, is that for temp ?
That would be perfect and a worthy successor to the original. Absolutely perfect :D

Main thing is you always have a proper diesel filter in circuit. Running without will soon cause damage to the pump...
Jim

elma

Post by elma »

My personal preference if it were my car would be to fix the one in the car. I've had a very similar filter to that on an Xud and it runs less smoothly without the heating.