C5 2.2L does not turn over..

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fotobright

C5 2.2L does not turn over..

Post by fotobright »

Hi,

Another season another novelty issue :). I just had the rescue people out there but unable to start the car. Jump leads on but no sign of the starter engaging. After he tapped the starter and it tried a single revolution but after that nothing, just the tick. We noticed that the stop warning is engaged on the dashboard which is not normally there. Never had this problem before. Can't be 100% but the battery appears ok. The car unlocks and locks and the lights all work.

Its possibly a jammed starter/solenoid but could it also be something like the immobiliser or require a reset?

Any thought greatly received as ever.
Peugoet 207 SW Hdi 1.6 live*
C5 2.2L HDi 16v estate (01)
Xsara Hdi 90 estate
Xantia 1.9TD estate, (veg oil)
Zx 1.9TD hatchback
Zx 1.9D hatchback
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: C5 2.2L does not turn over..

Post by myglaren »

If the immobiliser is stopping it firing it does so by preventing the injectors firing but will allow the starter to run.

Low battery voltage will play havoc with C5's but when I thought my battery was toast it turned out to be a seized starter.
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

:| That's the best a recovery service could do with diagnosis? :roll: I'd ask for a bloody refund - diagnosing a starter not operating should not be rocket science for them!

You say they tried jump leads, was that just onto the battery, or did they try jump leads connected directly to the starter motor?
I'm not familiar with the starter on that engine, so if the terminals aren't accessible with the starter fitted, unbolt it and try it then. If it works fine then, the starter is fine and the problem is elsewhere on the circuit (which goes via the BSI, btw). If it doesn't work when off the car and directly connected, then the starter is knackered.
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
fotobright

Post by fotobright »

Thanks for all the helpful info. i'll get the starter out somehow and test. I'm currently 20 miles from my tools and workshop, which tools do i need? flathead and philips csrewdriver, hexsocket (what size), extension and ratchet. Have homestart so all part of the service. strike on of three though..
Xsara Hdi 90 estate
Zx 1.9TD hatchback
Zx 1.9D hatchback
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Being Citroen you are more likely to need Torx bits, but I cannot remember what size (I did replace my starter motor about 6 months ago). The solenoid control wire is likely to be fitted with a ring connector (so it can go over a threaded rod). I do know my replacement motor used a spade connector. I got a reconditioned Bosch one from GSF for around £120, but I got back around £50 when I returned the old motor in the packaging.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

fotobright wrote:Thanks for all the helpful info. i'll get the starter out somehow and test. I'm currently 20 miles from my tools and workshop, which tools do i need? flathead and philips csrewdriver, hexsocket (what size), extension and ratchet. Have homestart so all part of the service. strike on of three though..
This might help - diagram is from a 2001 2.2 HDi Estate - although there are numerous makes of starter motor options fitted to the C5, there is only one diagram on fitting - so I guess the bolts are pretty much standard. The diagram gives the type and size of the nuts etc.:
C5 starter.png
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
fotobright

Post by fotobright »

Thanks for diagram, most helpful.

An update. I got the starter out and used jump leads from the battery and connector wire to see if it was operational. Initially just the pin popped out but perhaps because of wrong connector wire it popped out and then spun. Its difficult to tell if its a sticky motor but it was only 49.99 last year off ebay so may be a bit crap.

Anyways I put the motor back in, cleaned the terminals and reconnected everything. started her up but its still not turning over. The computer is now telling me economy mode is active , which is new.

Whats next stage of checks? Earth cable, wiring loom check, diag reset, battery charge, test new starter?

Thanks
Last edited by fotobright on 10 Oct 2016, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.
Xsara Hdi 90 estate
Zx 1.9TD hatchback
Zx 1.9D hatchback
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

fotobright wrote:Thanks for diagram, most helpful.

An update. I got the starter out and used jump leads from the battery and connector wire to see if it was operational. Initially just the pin popped out but perhaps because of wrong connector wire it popped out and then spun. Its difficult to tell if its a sticky motor but it was only 49.99 last year off ebay so may be a bit crap.
Anyways I put the motor back in, cleaned the terminals and reconnected everything. started her up but its still not turning over. The computer is now telling me economy mode is active , which is new.
Whats next stage of checks? Wiring loom check, diag reset, battery charge, test new starter?
Thanks
No problems, glad it helped. Your Economy Mode will kick in after a set period to conserve battery power. Usually when you've been running accessories like the radio etc., to prevent situations where the battery could drain and you won't have enough juice to start. It can kick in at anytime but usually within the 30 minutes default - or sooner if there hasn't been a good run equivalent to at least 30 minutes.
I would give the battery a good charge to be sure, but my gut would still say the starter if it is still clicking or won't turn over. (If you are going to remove the battery for a charge, follow the BSI reset, as you won't want any additional problems when diagnosing starting issues.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Bonham

Post by Bonham »

Have you checked the fuse for the starter? I tore down half my car just to end up with a broken fuse, my fuse looked alright but when I measured it it's was broken......