Trailing arm bearings again..

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chriz1
My Cars: 206 hdi 90bhp

Trailing arm bearings again..

Post by Chriz1 »

So my 206 needs new trailing arm bearings,
Passenger side has a lean on the wheel at top and is wearing the inside edge of the tyre although I can't find any play?

I rang a few garages local to me to get a price but none of them will change them only change complete axle

Why is this?
Looking at YouTube videos it looks straight forward,
Anyone here changed them are they as easy as straight forward as they look should I tackle the job or source a decent axle ?

Cheers
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: Trailing arm bearings again..

Post by spider »

Chriz1 wrote:So my 206 needs new trailing arm bearings,
Passenger side has a lean on the wheel at top and is wearing the inside edge of the tyre although I can't find any play?

I rang a few garages local to me to get a price but none of them will change them only change complete axle

Why is this?
Looking at YouTube videos it looks straight forward,
Anyone here changed them are they as easy as straight forward as they look should I tackle the job or source a decent axle ?

Cheers
I think the 'problem' here is actually getting the thing apart rather than anything else. :)
From a personal point of view a good used axle would be my personal choice. Tip: If going this route budget for replacement brake parts if required as it would be best (ideal time) to renew them and / or swap the existing brakes from your old axle to the 'new' one.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

There was a firm in Honiton who would either send you a replacement or fit it for the same price but I see thee have moved nearer to me now in Axminster:
http://abaxles.co.uk/en/about/

Peter
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

They arent anything like Citroens rear arm brearings to change as they have torsion beam springs in the tube too...
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Peter.N. wrote:There was a firm in Honiton who would either send you a replacement or fit it for the same price but I see thee have moved nearer to me now in Axminster:

Peter
I drove my daughters Xsara down to them in 2012 and they replaced the axle in about 2 hours - all for a reasonable price. The old guy who ran it was hands-on but I guess he may have retired now. Surely the new place will be easier to find than Mountjoys!!!!
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

JohnD wrote:
Peter.N. wrote:There was a firm in Honiton who would either send you a replacement or fit it for the same price but I see thee have moved nearer to me now in Axminster:

Peter
I drove my daughters Xsara down to them in 2012 and they replaced the axle in about 2 hours - all for a reasonable price. The old guy who ran it was hands-on but I guess he may have retired now. Surely the new place will be easier to find than Mountjoys!!!!
Mountjoy engineering became SSP engineering and later became AB Axles.Over the years I`ve used all three without any problems.Recon` axle delivered to your door ready to fit,then the old unit collected.A clever DIY man with good tools should be able to swop it all over in 3-4hrs.
I gave up doing Peugeot rear arm bearings years ago,too much time and hassle.Everything will be seized up and difficult to take apart,get the ride height wrong and your in trouble.Also the main problem on 206`s is that when the bearings collapse the bearing surface on the tube gets damaged and it will need a whole new cross tube.
Chriz1
My Cars: 206 hdi 90bhp

Post by Chriz1 »

Thanks all for the reply, is it normal to have no play at all? I wiggle the wheel with the rear lifted and can't find any play. But there's a slight lean to the wheel causing tyre to wear uneven on inside edge