Lights

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Lights

Post by ACTIVE8 »

There are some people out there who do not remember to put their lights on at night.

Yes there are those who get in and drive off on their DRL LED'S at night so not having any rear lights on.

The one I saw earlier despite the lights on this pre DRL car being off (the street lights and other cars were making the dummy more obvious from their lights) really took it to another level.

As in outside lights at night off!

Interior light on while driving about at 30mph!

Well done to this founder member of DENSA! :rofl2: =D>

At least we know what you look like.
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Lights

Post by CitroJim »

That's madness...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

I see a lot of cars driving in town at night with just the drls on. There should be rear drls as well. In some instances drls actually make things worse on the road, not better, well in my opinion anyway
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

daviemck2006 wrote:I see a lot of cars driving in town at night with just the drls on. There should be rear drls as well. In some instances drls actually make things worse on the road, not better, well in my opinion anyway
I see in our 308 handbook that in countries where DRLs are mandatory, headlights and taillights are used for DRL, but in other countries only the "dedicated" front DRLs are used. Make sense of that.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

There's no sense at all in it Mike!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I think the old Volvo/SAAB system was far better.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote:I think the old Volvo/SAAB system was far better.
Agreed and dim-dips were a bloody good idea too... I'm not a fan of glaring DRLs and think in some ways they compromise safety as they can make indicators hard to see...
Jim

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Well Jim, for once I will both disagree and agree :)

DRLs are great for country roads (where lights should be used but people do not) esp with overhanging tree tunnels etc........

DRLs when placed within headlamps however are stupid and as you say often hide the indicator....

The power of style over good sense......
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I was driving back from Poole yesterday evening (and it was dark) when I came up behind a car only running on their DRLs. That was interesting.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote: DRLs are great for country roads (where lights should be used but people do not) esp with overhanging tree tunnels etc........
True but dim-dips would be just as good and not so distractingly blinding!
Jim

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

I can't see why drls can't be the dipped beam headlights on as soon as the engine is started.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

daviemck2006 wrote:I can't see why drls can't be the dipped beam headlights on as soon as the engine is started.
That's common sense Davie and we can't have that can we? :twisted:

Also, it would seriously impact upon the profits of the makers of DRLs...

They always say that the mandatory fitment of cats was from a profit motive rather then an environmental one... There are other ways to clean up emissions that don't involve precious metals and running the mixture deliberately richer than it needs to be for best power/economy/emissions...
Jim

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

CitroJim wrote:
Stickyfinger wrote: DRLs are great for country roads (where lights should be used but people do not) esp with overhanging tree tunnels etc........
True but dim-dips would be just as good and not so distractingly blinding!
Yes and no for me on that.....

BAD are massive great light strips within the headlamp and so bright.....the "style" ones are just stupid and I agree often dangerous

Single "Pin lights" (cree) are great in shadow/light situations as they cut through the "flickering light" and if mounted remote from the headlamp do not blind or overpower the indicators
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

We could debate this subject for years Alasdair!!!
Jim

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

Those ones don't annoy me SF. It's the styled ones that obscure everything else that do. And indicators! Even when people use them, rarely, some of them are nearly impossible to see in the dark when the headlamps are on. And those stupid circular rear ones where they are completely surrounded by the tail/brake lights are murder too. And led brake lights! Sometimes in the sun you can't even see them on at all. Lights should be about safety not blaming style!

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2