Brake Pads.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

User avatar
qprdude
Posts: 1754
Joined: 06 Apr 2012, 18:56
x 9

Brake Pads.

Post by qprdude »

Pagid
Eicher
Bosch
Brembo
Give me a clue. It is many years since I changed pads and I have no intention of starting again.
Brakes squeak at low speeds.

What I don't want, is for a garage to fit cheapos and charge me for premium, so I thought I would ask you guys for your opinion.
:?:
vborovic
Locked user account
Posts: 1752
Joined: 31 Oct 2013, 18:07
x 21

Re: Brake Pads.

Post by vborovic »

TRW
User avatar
qprdude
Posts: 1754
Joined: 06 Apr 2012, 18:56
x 9

Re: Brake Pads.

Post by qprdude »

Cheers.
Mid priced here, which is more or less what I was looking for. Do you have them fitted on your C5?

Rears are a little thinner than Bosch ones at 16.5 ,with Bosch at 18mm
User avatar
Stickyfinger
Donor 2016
Posts: 9892
Joined: 28 Mar 2013, 22:05
x 740

Re: Brake Pads.

Post by Stickyfinger »

Citroen OEM....they last and work very well.
vborovic
Locked user account
Posts: 1752
Joined: 31 Oct 2013, 18:07
x 21

Re: Brake Pads.

Post by vborovic »

I've got the TRWs front & rear, very happy with them (price/quality ratio) ... they rarely squeak ... since they banned the use of asbestos in break pads years ago, you'll have a hard time finding a break pad that won't squeak without it ... no matter the price ...
Last edited by vborovic on 24 Jan 2016, 23:34, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 26065
Joined: 15 Sep 2015, 19:38
x 2992

Re: Brake Pads.

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ditto, Citroen OEM pads and NEVER had a sqeak through 2 sets front and rear on the X7.
rory_perrett
Posts: 715
Joined: 05 Nov 2001, 20:18
x 1

Re: Brake Pads.

Post by rory_perrett »

I seem to be going through a bit of a Mintex phase at the moment fitted them to the Honda Civic,Jaguar S Type, Ford Focus, Ford Fiesta, in fact everything except the Citroen which is OK for now and I have a set of genuine Citroen pads and discs in stock ready for when they are needed.
vborovic
Locked user account
Posts: 1752
Joined: 31 Oct 2013, 18:07
x 21

Re: Brake Pads.

Post by vborovic »

The previous Citroen OEMs I had were squeaking on very low speeds, just the moment before the car stopped ... I'm not saying this just to be opposed to the other guys, it is how it was ... that's why I decided to give something else a try
User avatar
qprdude
Posts: 1754
Joined: 06 Apr 2012, 18:56
x 9

Re: Brake Pads.

Post by qprdude »

GiveMeABreak wrote:Ditto, Citroen OEM pads and NEVER had a sqeak through 2 sets front and rear on the X7.
2 Sets front and rear? I'm on the set that was fitted when I bought the car in July 2012!
Was kinda hoping that a new set would see out the life of the car.
User avatar
qprdude
Posts: 1754
Joined: 06 Apr 2012, 18:56
x 9

Re: Brake Pads.

Post by qprdude »

vborovic wrote:The previous Citroen OEMs I had were squeaking on very low speeds, just the moment before the car stopped ... I'm not saying this just to be opposed to the other guys, it is how it was ... that's why I decided to give something else a try
Mine do that, and also when starting off slowly, especially noticeable in multi-storey car parks or going alongside walls where the echo is loudest. I suspect they might be OEM fellas too.
Bick
Posts: 482
Joined: 19 Feb 2006, 18:35
x 44

Re: Brake Pads.

Post by Bick »

qprdude wrote:Pagid
Eicher
Bosch
Brembo
Give me a clue. It is many years since I changed pads and I have no intention of starting again.
Brakes squeak at low speeds.

What I don't want, is for a garage to fit cheapos and charge me for premium, so I thought I would ask you guys for your opinion.
:?:
In all honesty any of these will be fine a mate of mine has been fitting Pagid for a while now without problems.
Gibbo2286
Donor 2020
Posts: 5533
Joined: 08 Jun 2011, 18:04
x 1265

Re: Brake Pads.

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Properly fitted pads with a good anti squeal should never squeal, the problem with many is that the piston faces are not cleaned of rust when fitting or that the anti squeal is omitted.
I'm not recommending this particular product but it's an example of what should be used.. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mintex-Ceratec- ... B007IZ4VOG,
User avatar
qprdude
Posts: 1754
Joined: 06 Apr 2012, 18:56
x 9

Re: Brake Pads.

Post by qprdude »

Gibbo2286 wrote:Properly fitted pads with a good anti squeal should never squeal, the problem with many is that the piston faces are not cleaned of rust when fitting or that the anti squeal is omitted.
I'm not recommending this particular product but it's an example of what should be used.. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mintex-Ceratec- ... B007IZ4VOG,
Mine have only just started squeaking after having been fitted in 2012.

Had a look at the pads through the wheels this morning and I reckon there is still at least ten mm thickness left all round.( on the outside pads)
:?
rory_perrett
Posts: 715
Joined: 05 Nov 2001, 20:18
x 1

Re: Brake Pads.

Post by rory_perrett »

[/quote]
Had a look at the pads through the wheels this morning and I reckon there is still at least ten mm thickness left all round.( on the outside pads)
:?[/quote]

That's hardly worn at all (assuming they are wearing evenly both sides) Sounds like a remove, clean and refit is a required.
lexi
Donor 2020
Posts: 2808
Joined: 17 Apr 2008, 17:51
x 121

Re: Brake Pads.

Post by lexi »

I have never had any squeaking even with the cheapest of pads. Most issues arise from pads sticking in caliper holders due to rust and dust build up.
Take them out and clean or file the caliper frame and pad edges to give nice clearance. I lube those contact points. Other thing is to clean and refit the anti squeal shim, greasing the outside face of that. Also, if there is a lip on outside of disc, that can cause noise or sticking. Grind it off if the discs are still within thickness spec. The only other issue may be caliper sliders sticking or the piston itself.