Brake Pads.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Brake Pads.

Post by qprdude »

Pagid
Eicher
Bosch
Brembo
Give me a clue. It is many years since I changed pads and I have no intention of starting again.
Brakes squeak at low speeds.

What I don't want, is for a garage to fit cheapos and charge me for premium, so I thought I would ask you guys for your opinion.
:?:
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Re: Brake Pads.

Post by vborovic »

TRW
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Cheers.
Mid priced here, which is more or less what I was looking for. Do you have them fitted on your C5?

Rears are a little thinner than Bosch ones at 16.5 ,with Bosch at 18mm
Rick.

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Citroen OEM....they last and work very well.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

I've got the TRWs front & rear, very happy with them (price/quality ratio) ... they rarely squeak ... since they banned the use of asbestos in break pads years ago, you'll have a hard time finding a break pad that won't squeak without it ... no matter the price ...
Last edited by vborovic on 24 Jan 2016, 22:34, edited 1 time in total.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ditto, Citroen OEM pads and NEVER had a sqeak through 2 sets front and rear on the X7.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

I seem to be going through a bit of a Mintex phase at the moment fitted them to the Honda Civic,Jaguar S Type, Ford Focus, Ford Fiesta, in fact everything except the Citroen which is OK for now and I have a set of genuine Citroen pads and discs in stock ready for when they are needed.
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

The previous Citroen OEMs I had were squeaking on very low speeds, just the moment before the car stopped ... I'm not saying this just to be opposed to the other guys, it is how it was ... that's why I decided to give something else a try
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

GiveMeABreak wrote:Ditto, Citroen OEM pads and NEVER had a sqeak through 2 sets front and rear on the X7.
2 Sets front and rear? I'm on the set that was fitted when I bought the car in July 2012!
Was kinda hoping that a new set would see out the life of the car.
Rick.

qprdude

Post by qprdude »

vborovic wrote:The previous Citroen OEMs I had were squeaking on very low speeds, just the moment before the car stopped ... I'm not saying this just to be opposed to the other guys, it is how it was ... that's why I decided to give something else a try
Mine do that, and also when starting off slowly, especially noticeable in multi-storey car parks or going alongside walls where the echo is loudest. I suspect they might be OEM fellas too.
Rick.

Bick

Post by Bick »

qprdude wrote:Pagid
Eicher
Bosch
Brembo
Give me a clue. It is many years since I changed pads and I have no intention of starting again.
Brakes squeak at low speeds.

What I don't want, is for a garage to fit cheapos and charge me for premium, so I thought I would ask you guys for your opinion.
:?:
In all honesty any of these will be fine a mate of mine has been fitting Pagid for a while now without problems.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Properly fitted pads with a good anti squeal should never squeal, the problem with many is that the piston faces are not cleaned of rust when fitting or that the anti squeal is omitted.
I'm not recommending this particular product but it's an example of what should be used.. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mintex-Ceratec- ... B007IZ4VOG,
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Gibbo2286 wrote:Properly fitted pads with a good anti squeal should never squeal, the problem with many is that the piston faces are not cleaned of rust when fitting or that the anti squeal is omitted.
I'm not recommending this particular product but it's an example of what should be used.. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mintex-Ceratec- ... B007IZ4VOG,
Mine have only just started squeaking after having been fitted in 2012.

Had a look at the pads through the wheels this morning and I reckon there is still at least ten mm thickness left all round.( on the outside pads)
:?
Rick.

rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

[/quote]
Had a look at the pads through the wheels this morning and I reckon there is still at least ten mm thickness left all round.( on the outside pads)
:?[/quote]

That's hardly worn at all (assuming they are wearing evenly both sides) Sounds like a remove, clean and refit is a required.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

I have never had any squeaking even with the cheapest of pads. Most issues arise from pads sticking in caliper holders due to rust and dust build up.
Take them out and clean or file the caliper frame and pad edges to give nice clearance. I lube those contact points. Other thing is to clean and refit the anti squeal shim, greasing the outside face of that. Also, if there is a lip on outside of disc, that can cause noise or sticking. Grind it off if the discs are still within thickness spec. The only other issue may be caliper sliders sticking or the piston itself.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2