Xantia activa speedometer fitment

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tioklou
My Cars: xantia x1 1.6i

Xantia activa speedometer fitment

Post by tioklou »

Hi to everyone and nice to meet you in the forum. I would like to ask if it's possible to fit an activa (or a similar with oil temp gauge) speedometer on a xantia x1 series with stock one. Does the car have the appropriate wiring to support the extra oil temp sender and the external temperature sender? thank you very much.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia activa speedometer fitment

Post by CitroJim »

Potentially...

Look for a spare blue (I think) two-pin connector near the engine sump.. I cannot recall ow if the temperature sensor screws into the front or rear of the sump. Generally the place it fits looks like another sump plug a little higher up in the sump...

What engine does your Xantia have?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
tioklou

Post by tioklou »

Thank you very much for your repply. The engine is the xu5jp and the xantia is the early one with five spheres. In the front side of the sump in the side of the accumulator has something as a bolt.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

tioklou wrote:In the front side of the sump in the side of the accumulator has something as a bolt.
That is the dummy sender that needs to be replaced with the real one taken from the donor car for the instrument panel. Jim's right, the connector is blue.

My 1.9TD actually has the wiring connected to the dummy sender - confused the hell out of me when I took the sump off! :shock:

Fortunately, at the time I had the 2.1 VSX to compare with. :)
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
tioklou

Post by tioklou »

Hello again,
iam finally decided to continue the project to fit the activa clocks on my xantia. As i already said in a previu post my ca is a citroen xantia MK1 1.6i model 1993 with electric mirrors. I want to fit the activa clocks and to enable the oil temp sensor and the external temperature together. But i want a little help for the speedometer connectors wiring to find the appropriate pins that these sensors connect with the instruments. Is there anyone that has the wiring diagram for the clocks or someone that has already done this mod?

Thank you very much,
Panagiotis
Attachments
IMG_0978.JPG
IMG_0977.JPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Panagiotis :D

I see a big problem. If the top picture is from your 1993 Xantia it has a cable-driven speedometer. All Activas have electronic speedometers so if you want to use the Activa instruments in your early Xantia you would need to replace the speed sensor in the gearbox and do a considerable amount of wiring to make the speedometer work.

I can likely supply the wiring diagrams you need to do the work but I do advise it will not be simple or straightforward.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Maybe swap out the speedo unit between the pods ?, the screws etc are in the same place.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote:Maybe swap out the speedo unit between the pods ?, the screws etc are in the same place.
That's potentially possible between S1 units... Good thinking :)
Jim

tioklou

Post by tioklou »

Thank you very much Citrojim and Stickyfinger for your answers.First of all i am sorry for the words "activa istruments". My clocks in the car dont have ext temp gauge and ol temp gauge. i found these iinstruments in the picture with those two additional sensors. i dont really know from what model is it but clocks have the two additional gauges. so he speedometer will work ok. the project is to find or create the approriate wiring for ext temp ans oil temp gauges. i really appreciate for yours answers and if you can supply me with the clocks wiring diagram will be wonderful.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

The clock in the pictures are probably from a Vsx then which would have a cable speedo like your picture.

The external temperature sensor lives in the bottom of the door mirror on the drivers side of a RHD car in Mk1. If you have a little dark plastic dome on the bottom of one of the mirrors thats where it goes. They rarely work properly though, my Xantias have always thought its really cold compared to the real temperature. You may find a better place to put the sensor, it's just a thermistor and could probably be located somewhere easier to wire should you not already have the wiring.

As the 1.6 was never offered in Vsx or Exclusive trim I am not sure you will even have the blanking plug for the oil temperature sensor. You could modify it to have one but I'm not sure the amount of work you will need to do is worth it myself.
tioklou

Post by tioklou »

Thank you very much for your answer Elma. My car is a LHd car and i have an extra pair of mirrors for this mod that the left one on them has the sensor. My question is in which of the four connectors on the clocks(blue,gren,red,black) the two wires from the sensor connect and especially in which pins. The question is the same and for the oil temperature sensor.
Thanks a lot everyone for your answers and your help.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

tioklou wrote:My question is in which of the four connectors on the clocks(blue,gren,red,black) the two wires from the sensor connect and especially in which pins. The question is the same and for the oil temperature sensor.
I will supply this information for you Panagiotis. I have the circuit diagrams you need. I just need to go and find them!
Jim

tioklou

Post by tioklou »

Thank you very much!!!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Panagiotis

Here's the circuit diagrams and harness (loom) diagrams you need...

Oil Temperature/Level/Pressure Circuit

Oil Temperature/Level/Pressure Harnesses

External Temperature Display Circuit

External Temperature Display Harnesses

I hope these help you make the oil temperature gauge and the external temperature display work...
Jim

tioklou

Post by tioklou »

Hi Jim

Thank you very much for all the diagrams you sent me.
i will post any progress from this project.

Best regards
Panagiotis