Where does the plastic brake cannister go?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rs1800

Where does the plastic brake cannister go?

Post by rs1800 »

Hi
I am sorry this question is duplicated but it was in threads named clutch.
I removed the plastic brake canister that sits behind the brake pedal to change the clutch clip and I cant seem to get it back in.
Can someone please confirm that the open end pushes in to the rear of the brake pedal and the solid end touches the floor.
Is it a very tight fit cause it doesnt seem to want to go in?
cheers
Howard
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Is this the spring loaded thingy that transfers pressure from the brake pedal to the dosure valve?
//NiSk
rs1800

Post by rs1800 »

yes
rs1800

Post by rs1800 »

I have managed to get the thingys 'open' end in by cuting slots in it to reduce the diamter.
It is still quite tight. Do think its safe enough?
cheers
Le-Mans
My Cars:

Post by Le-Mans »

That's what I had to do with my one too - Cut slots in it. You needn't worry about the slots rendering the unit unsafe. It's fine.
Unfortunately, I managed to snap the large plastic ring-clip that holds the canister in place, just as I was pushing the canister home. So I just used a bit of tape to hold that together and tested the whole thing. All fine. The canister can't come out unless I lift the pedal as high as it will go and pull hard on the canister.
By the way, I think there must be some way to remove the entire canister assembly from the pedal, because after I took the main center part out, I noticed that the base part of the assembly could slide in and out (like telescopically) of the pedal but not all the way out.
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

Is this plastic canister a part of the brake pedal on RHD Xantia? On my (LHD), I don't see such a thing - there's a pushrod, some 10 cm long, directly connected to the brake pedal, and disappearing into the floor on the other side. I presume the spring must be between the rod and doser valve.
Le-Mans
My Cars:

Post by Le-Mans »

The pushrod is the canister we're all referring to. It's a hollow plastic tube clipped inside a larger hollow plastic tube with a spring in the centre to give it some 'give'. There's a rubber end on mine that makes contact with the doser valve.
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

On mine (LHD), pushrod connected to the brake pedal is made of steel, about 5-6 mm in diameter. As I said, it disappears through the hole (about 1.5 cm diameter) in the floor. I can see some white plastics inside that hole (probably the canister containing that spring), but can't withdraw it from the cabin. Rubber cap of doseur valve isn't visible, like it was in BX and GS (directly under the pedal).
So, is this different on RHD models? On the picture in Haynes, I can see that brake pedal lever is different than in my car (considerably wider), where it looks almost like mirror image of the clutch pedal.
I was planning to remove that spring after buying Xantia, to get BX-style brakes, but it seems it's a bit more complicated here.
JohnW
My Cars:

Post by JohnW »

Strange. Mine just pulled out from the socket in the pedal (RHD, 1995, 2.0) and there was no possible way of confusing which way round it fitted. And it pushed back in without trouble.
I suspect they had several "goes" at this design. Terrible thing anyway - I replaced the spring with a nut and the brakes are much nicer.
JohnW
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

Thx. Obviously, it's different in LHD models - it seems that this spring is reachable from the engine bay only, after partially removing the doser valve (and LHM tank above it ... )
rs1800

Post by rs1800 »

cheers guys
espesially le-mans for the pics in other thread