Who else names their cars?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Who else names their cars?

Post by Zelandeth » 17 Apr 2015, 00:12

First off, I am a terribly centimental creature who pretty much immediately bonds with any object animate or otherwise...the older and more cantankerous the better. Hence my friend with the coaches having to virtually pry the keys to his tatty old Bedford YNT Duple Dominant II coach out of my hands.

So...some of my cars get named...not all of them, but some.

My current (and so far only...but I doubt that will remain the case) Xantia is Gabriel...The reg ends GAB and it sounded suitability French.

The Skoda is Tango. She is bright, almost fluorescent orange so that was a no-brainer for me really. The alternative is Mr. Sideways on wet days.

My Saab is The Ambassador. Named for the colour (Embassy Blue) and because it just suits the character of the car so well. Seriously missing driving that one at the moment...

In terms of cars gone by, the one which immediately springs to mind is "Igor the 'orrible" that my much, much missed Lada Niva was known. It utterly fitted, and good lord I miss him!

My T25 Camper is Alice. That's a Star Trek (Voyager) reference that you're unlikely to catch unless you're as much of a Trek geek as I am. She's a lost cause by any sensible logic...but I refuse to weigh her in anyway...

The also missed Suzuki Cappuccino was simply The Pocket Rocket...because it was the size of a postage stamp and went like a scalded cat. I have never met a road car that could change direction as fast as that thing, nor where 90bhp gave such world bending performance. Many people laughed at that car...about up until the point I took them out in it at which point the jokes abruptly changed to grudging respect and questions like "where can I buy one?"

So who else has/had a named fleet? Also out of curiosity, what reasoning do you use?

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Re: Who else names their cars?

Post by Stickyfinger » 17 Apr 2015, 00:32

Only ever one thing ....related to its parentage !

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth » 17 Apr 2015, 00:38

Hehe, that comes up with mine too. Especially the Skoda!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 17 Apr 2015, 04:23

Never been one for naming cars really...

The Activa has always been known as 'The Activa' but the C1 is occasionally called 'Eyelashes' for reasons you can discover deep in my blog....

Look for entries around my birthday - late July :wink:

My V6s were known as 'Old V6' and 'New V6' Old V6 I have again as my V6 Activa Donor and New V6 has recently moved on to pastures new...

daviemck2006
Donor 2016

Post by daviemck2006 » 17 Apr 2015, 10:56

The first car I named was the Peugeot 107 I used for work. It was The Bug. I swapped it for Lez, the c4 vts because it was irish and the reg was lez6446. Then came landie, obvious really a freelander then piece of sh1t, C2 sensodrive now fessa which is a fiesta. There were others between them but not named.

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike » 17 Apr 2015, 11:06

When I was a kid we named our Commer Camper "Ethel". Since then I've given some of my cars names but not others. I don't know why. Some of them seem to have a "personality" about them.
I had a Saab called Bjoern. My Xantia estate was called Claude, the Beetle I owned in Brazil was called *ahem* Adolf, we had a V6 called Vernon, my first MX5 was named Marylin, we got Bertie the Berlingo and the Focus was called Fred.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger » 17 Apr 2015, 11:53

Northern_Mike wrote:When I was a kid we named our Commer Camper "Ethel". Since then I've given some of my cars names but not others. I don't know why. Some of them seem to have a "personality" about them.
I had a Saab called Bjoern. My Xantia estate was called Claude, the Beetle I owned in Brazil was called *ahem* Adolf, we had a V6 called Vernon, my first MX5 was named Marylin, we got Bertie the Berlingo and the Focus was called Fred.

and a dog called Spot, a Rabbit called Patch, a Pony called Princess and a Scottish mate called Jock :)

I am always ready to shoot my cars in the back of the head if they cost more than they should per mile/year........if they have names its harder to put them down

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike » 17 Apr 2015, 12:00

Stickyfinger wrote: I am always ready to shoot my cars in the back of the head if they cost more than they should per mile/year........if they have names its harder to put them down
Having owned, at last count, 132 cars since 1989 I've had no attachment at all to but perhaps 3 or 4 of them, one being the Berlingo we still have, the others were my mint Activa, Claude the shed of a Xantia estate and the three wheeler that recently caught fire - which I'm pleased to say my brother is making a speedy and good job of making good again.

My cats are called Tequila and Suzy, and I'm (-expletive removed-) if I'll ever own a pony. I did have a ginger cat called Jenson for years too.

citronut

Post by citronut » 17 Apr 2015, 13:35

i had an a 4 door A35 back in the 80's i called Black Betty, bet you cant guess what colour i toshed it over in #-o :-D :wink:

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 17 Apr 2015, 14:29

citronut wrote:i had an a 4 door A35 back in the 80's i called Black Betty, bet you cant guess what colour i toshed it over in #-o :-D :wink:
Green?

daviemck2006
Donor 2016

Post by daviemck2006 » 17 Apr 2015, 15:02

citronut wrote:i had an a 4 door A35 back in the 80's i called Black Betty, bet you cant guess what colour i toshed it over in #-o :-D :wink:
Pink?

citronut

Post by citronut » 17 Apr 2015, 17:33

good guess'ing but

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ve0t52uzo1db8 ... 7.png?dl=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 17 Apr 2015, 18:55

Ahh :idea: Got it!

Brown

Jodyone

Post by Jodyone » 17 Apr 2015, 21:29

This one's ended up being called Big Ron. Our old Merc is known as Serge. The logic of both escapes me now*, it started in jest and like so many ironies has become ordinary, to the extent that I might accidentally say something like "I'll go and get Big Ron" in normal company, and get some weird looks.
Last edited by Jodyone on 17 Apr 2015, 21:34, edited 2 times in total.

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike » 17 Apr 2015, 21:32

Our cat got called Tequila because my wife turned up a little drunk at a party with a bottle of Tequila, and shouted "Tequila!!" in her Colombian accent like something straight out of cartoon. Someone suggested that we call our then new kitten Tequila as it would be hilarious listening to my missus calling it... it was, for a while. 5 years on ... no so.