Who else names their cars?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Who else names their cars?

Post by Zelandeth »

First off, I am a terribly centimental creature who pretty much immediately bonds with any object animate or otherwise...the older and more cantankerous the better. Hence my friend with the coaches having to virtually pry the keys to his tatty old Bedford YNT Duple Dominant II coach out of my hands.

So...some of my cars get named...not all of them, but some.

My current (and so far only...but I doubt that will remain the case) Xantia is Gabriel...The reg ends GAB and it sounded suitability French.

The Skoda is Tango. She is bright, almost fluorescent orange so that was a no-brainer for me really. The alternative is Mr. Sideways on wet days.

My Saab is The Ambassador. Named for the colour (Embassy Blue) and because it just suits the character of the car so well. Seriously missing driving that one at the moment...

In terms of cars gone by, the one which immediately springs to mind is "Igor the 'orrible" that my much, much missed Lada Niva was known. It utterly fitted, and good lord I miss him!

My T25 Camper is Alice. That's a Star Trek (Voyager) reference that you're unlikely to catch unless you're as much of a Trek geek as I am. She's a lost cause by any sensible logic...but I refuse to weigh her in anyway...

The also missed Suzuki Cappuccino was simply The Pocket Rocket...because it was the size of a postage stamp and went like a scalded cat. I have never met a road car that could change direction as fast as that thing, nor where 90bhp gave such world bending performance. Many people laughed at that car...about up until the point I took them out in it at which point the jokes abruptly changed to grudging respect and questions like "where can I buy one?"

So who else has/had a named fleet? Also out of curiosity, what reasoning do you use?
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Who else names their cars?

Post by Stickyfinger »

Only ever one thing ....related to its parentage !
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Hehe, that comes up with mine too. Especially the Skoda!
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Never been one for naming cars really...

The Activa has always been known as 'The Activa' but the C1 is occasionally called 'Eyelashes' for reasons you can discover deep in my blog....

Look for entries around my birthday - late July :wink:

My V6s were known as 'Old V6' and 'New V6' Old V6 I have again as my V6 Activa Donor and New V6 has recently moved on to pastures new...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

The first car I named was the Peugeot 107 I used for work. It was The Bug. I swapped it for Lez, the c4 vts because it was irish and the reg was lez6446. Then came landie, obvious really a freelander then piece of sh1t, C2 sensodrive now fessa which is a fiesta. There were others between them but not named.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

When I was a kid we named our Commer Camper "Ethel". Since then I've given some of my cars names but not others. I don't know why. Some of them seem to have a "personality" about them.
I had a Saab called Bjoern. My Xantia estate was called Claude, the Beetle I owned in Brazil was called *ahem* Adolf, we had a V6 called Vernon, my first MX5 was named Marylin, we got Bertie the Berlingo and the Focus was called Fred.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Northern_Mike wrote:When I was a kid we named our Commer Camper "Ethel". Since then I've given some of my cars names but not others. I don't know why. Some of them seem to have a "personality" about them.
I had a Saab called Bjoern. My Xantia estate was called Claude, the Beetle I owned in Brazil was called *ahem* Adolf, we had a V6 called Vernon, my first MX5 was named Marylin, we got Bertie the Berlingo and the Focus was called Fred.

and a dog called Spot, a Rabbit called Patch, a Pony called Princess and a Scottish mate called Jock :)

I am always ready to shoot my cars in the back of the head if they cost more than they should per mile/year........if they have names its harder to put them down
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Stickyfinger wrote: I am always ready to shoot my cars in the back of the head if they cost more than they should per mile/year........if they have names its harder to put them down
Having owned, at last count, 132 cars since 1989 I've had no attachment at all to but perhaps 3 or 4 of them, one being the Berlingo we still have, the others were my mint Activa, Claude the shed of a Xantia estate and the three wheeler that recently caught fire - which I'm pleased to say my brother is making a speedy and good job of making good again.

My cats are called Tequila and Suzy, and I'm (-expletive removed-) if I'll ever own a pony. I did have a ginger cat called Jenson for years too.

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i had an a 4 door A35 back in the 80's i called Black Betty, bet you cant guess what colour i toshed it over in #-o :-D :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote:i had an a 4 door A35 back in the 80's i called Black Betty, bet you cant guess what colour i toshed it over in #-o :-D :wink:
Green?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

citronut wrote:i had an a 4 door A35 back in the 80's i called Black Betty, bet you cant guess what colour i toshed it over in #-o :-D :wink:
Pink?
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

good guess'ing but

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ve0t52uzo1db8 ... 7.png?dl=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Ahh :idea: Got it!

Brown
Jim

Jodyone

Post by Jodyone »

This one's ended up being called Big Ron. Our old Merc is known as Serge. The logic of both escapes me now*, it started in jest and like so many ironies has become ordinary, to the extent that I might accidentally say something like "I'll go and get Big Ron" in normal company, and get some weird looks.
Last edited by Jodyone on 17 Apr 2015, 21:34, edited 2 times in total.
2006 C6 Exclusive, 2.7 HDi
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Our cat got called Tequila because my wife turned up a little drunk at a party with a bottle of Tequila, and shouted "Tequila!!" in her Colombian accent like something straight out of cartoon. Someone suggested that we call our then new kitten Tequila as it would be hilarious listening to my missus calling it... it was, for a while. 5 years on ... no so.