c8 died with battery light while driving

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pde
New User

c8 died with battery light while driving

Post by pde »

Hi all,

I experienced what I thought was a strange failure with my 2006 c8 2.0 petrol last night. While doing nice and even 90 km/h the battery light came on, flickered off for a second, then came on again and the car got noticeably weaker.

I immediately suspected the alternator and "limp mode", but assumed I would be able to run on battery for a while to be able to get off at the next filling station.

Alas, the ride lasted no more than 30 seconds from the initial battery light and I was barely able to roll off the main road with a dead engine.

Subsequent start attempts were unsuccessful - starter pulled strong but no ignition. I also tried to reset the car by disconnecting the battery minus for 10 min but to no avail. No other warning lights or messages from the car, but it eventually entered "economy mode".

The car finally got towed and I'm waiting to hear back from the shop. Curiosity finally got the better of me though so I had to post here to see if there is someone with more experience than myself that can tell if this is consistent with a broken alternator or if there is a better explanation.

Cheers
2006 c8 2.0 petrol
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: c8 died with battery light while driving

Post by spider »

Did you lose any other electrics ?

This sort of sounds a bit like a main engine earth lead has gone as that can have very very strange effects if it happens while you're moving, I've had one break years ago, instant loss of lights and everything else. Engine kept running but battery light remained on.

At least its easy to check them I guess, I'd examine the earth lead on the transmission as a starting point.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
pde
New User

Post by pde »

Thanks for the theory! All other electrics working just fine as far as I could tell. Pulling nicely on the starter but wouldn't run and not a hint of ignition.

Cheers
2006 c8 2.0 petrol
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Times like this you can guess endlessly.....you need it on a lexia mate
Alasdair