Berlingo drive shaft oil seal replacement advice please.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tmm

Berlingo drive shaft oil seal replacement advice please.

Post by tmm »

Hi
Just wondering if anyone has a how to guide on replacing the oil seal in my gearbox where the drive shaft goes fits into.(passenger side) please. 2004 Berlingo 1.9d
I am assuming it is the oil seal.
I replaced the strut yesterday and while replacing it the hub pulled the drive shaft out a little bit and oil started to leak from the gearbox. i pushed the drive shaft back in which stopped the oil(or so i though) coming out quickly but when i got up this morning there is a drip coming from the gearbox where the shaft goes in.
Xantidote
My Cars:

Re: Berlingo drive shaft oil seal replacement advice please.

Post by Xantidote »

Always a possibility the drips you are seeing is just residual oil from the initial leak, unless you cleaned the area up thoroughly afterwards. Otherwise, maybe somehow you've damaged the seal on refitting the drive-shaft?
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
tmm

Post by tmm »

Xantidote wrote:Always a possibility the drips you are seeing is just residual oil from the initial leak, unless you cleaned the area up thoroughly afterwards. Otherwise, maybe somehow you've damaged the seal on refitting the drive-shaft?
I was hoping that's all it would be but its still leaking :( The drive shaft never came that far out to be honest but its obviously been enough to damage the seal.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

well you have already near as dam it hed the shaft out of the box already,

the next time on intentionally pulling the shaft out place a tray under the diff, normally expect to loose about a liter of gear oil, so unless you intend to drain the full box content ( gear oil change ) just refill with one liter of new 70/80 oil of the correct spec for PSA box's

once you have the shaft clear of the box, wipe the area around the shaft port in the diff, then with a large screw driver place the tip up inside the seal and prise it out of the diff/gear box, it usually comes away very easy without any force,
then re/wipe the area and press/tap the new seal home, mind the outer edge is flush with the edge of the diff casing
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
tmm

Post by tmm »

Thanks you citronut that is the answer i was looking for :) I thought maybe i had to loosen something else off maybe the ball joint or something along them lines.
So basically if i just take the bottom of the strut out and pull the hub(on an angle from top to floor) the shaft will come all the way out of the gearbox? for me to change the seal?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

tmm wrote:Thanks you citronut that is the answer i was looking for :) I thought maybe i had to loosen something else off maybe the ball joint or something along them lines.
So basically if i just take the bottom of the strut out and pull the hub(on an angle from top to floor) the shaft will come all the way out of the gearbox? for me to change the seal?
i personally do split the lower swivel on doing this job,
i think it is a bit/very tight to get the shaft out of the box by just splitting at the strut to hub carrier,
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Can be easiest to unbolt the lower ball joint from the arm.
tmm

Post by tmm »

Thanks everyone for the help its really appreciated.
I loosened the bottom ball joint then pulled the drive shaft out and replaced the seal that way.
cancunia
My Cars: 2004 Berlingo 2.0HDi

Post by cancunia »

Same thing just happened to me but looks like I'll need to replace the oil too as I've drained out over a litre to be sure it's under the level of the shaft. I have a 2004 2.0HDi but assume its the same procedure?

Thanks
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

Pretty much the same for all PSA left diff seals AFAIK & for the peace of mind it's worth changing the gearbox oil as well unless it's only been done recently.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

cancunia wrote:Same thing just happened to me but looks like I'll need to replace the oil too as I've drained out over a litre to be sure it's under the level of the shaft. I have a 2004 2.0HDi but assume its the same procedure?

Thanks

It is, but you might have the one-piece lower arm like mine does, and you'll have to split the ball-joint to pull the shaft. I pulled it out by accident when changing the lower arm on mine.
cancunia

Post by cancunia »

Thanks for both of your replies, looks to be something I can get done without too much bother. The additional groan factor is that I put a litre of new oil in before I realised it was still leaking! Ah well you learn all the time I suppose. I have saved over a litre of oil in clean containers, but the oil is not the same colour as the stuff I put in earlier.
Is there a trick to splitting that ball joint? I've seen a diagram that seems to show a lever under the gearbox with a chain around the bottom arm, do I just need to apply some leverage, or does it need a tap as well?
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

I'd advise getting either a splitter, or a Hell Razor James with patience and a big hammer!

I had no splitter, and it was a total pain in the arse. In fact, James came round and attacked it with a big hammer and I went off to buy a splitter. He phoned me to tell me he'd got it off just before I bought it!
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

:D

Mind you, I did not know that I had to tighten up the clamp a lot tighter than I did. Fortunately we had a friendly MoT tester, who not only understood what I had done wrong, but had the tools (and inclination) to correct my mistake.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
cancunia

Post by cancunia »

I think I'm ok on the hammer front and may even have a ball joint splitter somewhere so will get on with it once it gets a bit warmer outside.
On the subject of seals, I see that there are 2 types on offer. One is the standard shaft type oil seal and the other type has a nylon cage which I guess is intended to protect the seal & guide the shaft. Anyone tried a plain standard seal without the cage successfully?