If it goes to court there....it will here soon !

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

If it goes to court there....it will here soon !

Post by Stickyfinger »

Watch out re-mappers ! having a Government after you is not nice but the Greens will be tougher on you :)

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/01/ep ... ilter.html
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Northern_Mike

Re: If it goes to court there....it will here soon !

Post by Northern_Mike »

Stickyfinger wrote:Watch out re-mappers ! having a Government after you is not nice but the Greens will be tougher on you :)

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/01/ep ... ilter.html
I love reading the moronic comments from people who just don't get that the DPFs are there for a good reason, and think it's their god-given American right to do what the hell they want, however it affects others!
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Ive been Telling people for months now NOT to take them off.... we have a resident member who beleves its fine to remove them too!!

I wont, and dont want to either!
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Yep, crazy comments from the American public who believe their constitution allows them to do as they please. Some of the ill informed comments seem to come from single brain cell specimens.

The comment about pollution problems in China is so true. Having worked in two metal foundries and a production facility over there, I have seen the problem at first hand. OK, DPF's are not perfect, but they are a work in progress. Many Americans seem to think that anything less than a V8 lump is under-powered. There have been massive steps forward in the power of smaller, more efficient engines but as it often does, these advances seem to be lost on many of the super-charged , muscle car loving Americans. When I was last in Houston, every third vehicle on the Expressway seemed to be a massive 4 x 4 truck.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

That's also one of the reasons I'd rather go for a chip tuning solution than a remap ... I never investigated, but what happens in case you have a engine mishap (or any other fault on the car), and want to have the car inspected (to get the insurance money - not sure about the exact term, but that one when you're partly or full covered when it is not actually your fault), you did a remap modification which probably wasn't road approved (by central vehicle testing institutions in a country), and you lose the money (my theory) ... if you have a chip, you pop it out, and voila ... let them investigate all they want, they won't find that as a custom modification to the insured vehicle on paper ...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

citroenxm wrote:Ive been Telling people for months now NOT to take them off.... we have a resident member who beleves its fine to remove them too!!

They're there for a reason. I've been converted from being one of the "do as you please and take them off" brigade, to one who believes they should be in place and working. The Berlingo doesn't have one, but if it did, I wouldn't be removing it.

As for remapping for more power, I have no problem with it as long as the DPF/EGR are left alone. I don't really believe they cause as many car problems as they are blamed for - surely poor maintenance/not reading the owners manual and treating the car properly has something to do with this? In many cases with remapping for more power, I don't understand why the car owner didn't just buy a more powerful car in the first place. Obviously, with some cars like a S1 C5 or Berlingo HDi, you don't have that choice, but with so many others you can simply buy a more powerful version of the same car.

After the Berlingo and C5 are sold, I'll not be having any diesel cars or any Citroens for a long time, if ever!
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

vborovic wrote:That's also one of the reasons I'd rather go for a chip tuning solution than a remap ... I never investigated, but what happens in case you have a engine mishap (or any other fault on the car), and want to have the car inspected (to get the insurance money - not sure about the exact term, but that one when you're partly or full covered when it is not actually your fault), you did a remap modification which probably wasn't road approved (by central vehicle testing institutions in a country), and you lose the money (my theory) ... if you have a chip, you pop it out, and voila ... let them investigate all they want, they won't find that as a custom modification to the insured vehicle on paper ...
The issue with your theory is that if your car is recovered from being upside down in a ditch, and you're in hospital unable to remove the chip before they inspect it..... ;-)
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

northern_mike wrote:
citroenxm wrote:Ive been Telling people for months now NOT to take them off.... we have a resident member who beleves its fine to remove them too!!

They're there for a reason. I've been converted from being one of the "do as you please and take them off" brigade, to one who believes they should be in place and working. The Berlingo doesn't have one, but if it did, I wouldn't be removing it.

As for remapping for more power, I have no problem with it as long as the DPF/EGR are left alone. I don't really believe they cause as many car problems as they are blamed for - surely poor maintenance/not reading the owners manual and treating the car properly has something to do with this? In many cases with remapping for more power, I don't understand why the car owner didn't just buy a more powerful car in the first place. Obviously, with some cars like a S1 C5 or Berlingo HDi, you don't have that choice, but with so many others you can simply buy a more powerful version of the same car.

After the Berlingo and C5 are sold, I'll not be having any diesel cars or any Citroëns for a long time, if ever!

Couldn't agree more with you mike!!
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

northern_mike wrote:
vborovic wrote:That's also one of the reasons I'd rather go for a chip tuning solution than a remap ... I never investigated, but what happens in case you have a engine mishap (or any other fault on the car), and want to have the car inspected (to get the insurance money - not sure about the exact term, but that one when you're partly or full covered when it is not actually your fault), you did a remap modification which probably wasn't road approved (by central vehicle testing institutions in a country), and you lose the money (my theory) ... if you have a chip, you pop it out, and voila ... let them investigate all they want, they won't find that as a custom modification to the insured vehicle on paper ...
The issue with your theory is that if your car is recovered from being upside down in a ditch, and you're in hospital unable to remove the chip before they inspect it..... ;-)
I agree on that, in which case of course I'd be more worried about my life than that of the car ... :D ...but what I meant was, situations that could prevent you from getting the payout because someone from the insurance company figures out some modifications are made to the car (which aren't documented and/or approved), which you can't easily revert (remap) ...
dei9
My Cars:

Post by dei9 »

I was talking to Paul (citroenxm) only yesterday about it (messing with the EGR valve), and he was like whats the point, and i was like yea, and i drove off home, and thought, yea whats the point, the car is fine as it is, and it's to spec. I've always been one get cars up to standard spec, but then again i've also removed the cat from a 2.1td before, the difference wasn't worth the naughty feeling of having one over the government (even if it is legal), and as paul mentioned to me, the legislation changes so often it's best not to bother.

Here in europe we have squeezed so much power from small units whilst the Americans still have small displacement V8's, that produce less than 200bhp, and V6's that produce less than 150bhp, I think it's pretty cool that my mate has a Ford Focus 1.6tdci with the same engine and bhp as mine yet mind is a 2.0 (still a PSA/other brand joint venture). The only cool thing to come from America in terms of a green car is the Tesla, and I just hope long terms Elon Musk has calculated if the cost of producing the car and maintaining the battery is more economical than me keeping a Xantia 2.0 Hdi on the road.
...from Dei

1999 Xantia 2.0 Hdi 110 Exclusive (8396)
2001 Xsara 2.0 Hdi 110 LX Auto
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Pity than the vast majority of Americans have no knowledge or experience of anything beyond their own borders, and quite often their State borders. Had to have a laugh at the guy who complained that the Prius is the most polluting car ever. His reasoning was mostly because of the ships that bring the Prius to America are hugely polluting!!
I wonder if he thinks the BMW's, Mercs, Honda's etc arrive at their golden shores courtesy of a magic fairy?
Another one reckons it's his money, his choice and he will do as he damn well pleases! Yeah, planet earth calling mate.
Rick.

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

BMW's, Mercs, Honda's etc .....they are made in Mexico and driven up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive ... present.29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In defense of the US choice of the Pick-up.

Try going Hunting every season with anything less, remember your towing a massive speed boat or Trailer
Try attaching anything large...(all things are large in the USA)
Try getting around in winter with 3 feet of snow
Pick-Ups need to carry 2 tonne to be considered really useful...and this is correct for the use they put them to.
Highly tuned high power engines are a no go in many many areas as the population is so low, easy powerful local thumpers are the tradition and the need.

All the above IF applied to a town driver makes them just stupid, but go any big City to see stupid.
Last edited by Stickyfinger on 29 Dec 2014, 14:54, edited 1 time in total.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

qprdude wrote:Pity than the vast majority of Americans have no knowledge or experience of anything beyond their own borders, and quite often their State borders. Had to have a laugh at the guy who complained that the Prius is the most polluting car ever. His reasoning was mostly because of the ships that bring the Prius to America are hugely polluting!!
I wonder if he thinks the BMW's, Mercs, Honda's etc arrive at their golden shores courtesy of a magic fairy?
Another one reckons it's his money, his choice and he will do as he damn well pleases! Yeah, planet earth calling mate.
The Prius is not as clean as the un-informed think. Think about the manufacturing processes, and the recyclability of it (such as the batteries). It also depends on how it is driven. I recall a Top Gear program where they had a few high speed laps with a Prius versus a BMW M5, and at the speeds they were travelling the BMW had a much better MPG.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

I wouldn't say top gear is a scientific programme, but in any case, I thought the post was about pollution rather than MPG.
Rick.

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

qprdude wrote:I wouldn't say top gear is a scientific programme, but in any case, I thought the post was about pollution rather than MPG.

The Argonne National Laboratory ran a side-by-side comparison of hybrid and conventional vehicles over their entire life cycle, which includes vehicle production, vehicle operation and the energy required to produce fuel for both cars. If you assume that both vehicles travel 160,000 miles (257,495 kilometers) over their lifetime, the conventional vehicle requires 6,500 Btu of energy per mile compared to 4,200 Btu per mile for a hybrid. That higher energy input results in far greater lifetime greenhouse gas emissions for conventional vehicles compared to hybrids, more than 1.1 pounds (500 grams) per mile compared to 0.75 pounds (340 grams) per mile [source: Burnham et al]

So, hybrids, though duller, are better for the planet even taking into account the production emissions.