Brakes not releasing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

smoker

Brakes not releasing

Post by smoker »

Xsara 110hdi estate, 52 reg. Had the car for a few months and notice that an advisory from the last MOT was the front brakes not releasing properly - with a number of 25% next to the advisory tho' not sure exactly what this means.

Also, whilst on a stop start run the other day, I noticed the brakes binding - e.g. car wouldn't roll down a hill where it normally would. Can't say which wheel(s) at fault, but all seemed well once cooled down. I'm guessing this could be a caliper related issue, but could it instead be master cylinder or ABS related? If calipers, can they be rebuilt (new pistons/seals) or are descent refurbished calipers available and the preferred way forward?

Any advice appreciated - MOT due April and need to get sorted by then.

Cheers
52 reg Xsara 110 hdi
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Brakes not releasing

Post by Peter.N. »

I think you were probably right the first time and the calipers are sticking. I you pull back the rubber seals and squirt some brake fluid in behind them and can work them backwards and forwards they should ease off. You really need to take the pads out and put a tyre lever or something similar between the disc and caliper, if you can push it back even a little then press gently on the brake pedal to move it forwards, do this a few times squirting more brake fluid in each time and it should loosen up. Only remove one pad at a time and always keep something between the caliper and disc, otherwise the piston may come right out and jam.

Peter
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the other cause of this can be the flexi hose/s collapsing internally, this can act as a valve allowing fluid through one way,

trouble with this whilst it is causing the pads to stay in contact with the discs longer than they should, it will cause the calipers/discs to over heat,

if/when you try Peter.N's suggestion of pushing the pistons back, if they are very difficult to push in try opening the bleed nipple, if the piston then retracts easily it will prove the flexi is at fault

also check out for seal kits/calipers/brake components

http://www.biggred.co.uk/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

they are extremely helpful and do get back to you if they say they will, even out of business hours
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
old-un77
My Cars: Renault 14...now skyward
Renault 19.. skyward also..
'03 Xsara 1.8 Picasso in silver met his maker
'06 Desire, again in silver also gonn to metal heaven

Post by old-un77 »

My old Renault ('91) 19 disks front, drums rear..........had a rear brake shoe problem, when reversing after being overnight parked up, releasing the handbrake, there was a sometimes a click .
and all was well........
if driving forwards straight away instead the shoe, drum and cylinder would overheat until there were NO brakes at all...

this occurred twice, once nearly fatally, until it was noticed that the rear brake was smoking....and the click (sticking shoe)was connected to the brakes problem

it never happened to me,while I had the car as I always reversed from my garage, but after my daughter took on the car, she often drove forwards from her drive......

the first time her garage thought it was a cylinder head problem...........???? and did the head gasket job.££££
..when it occurred the second time they noticed the smokey brake, and wanted to charge her again to do the brakes....she doesn't use that garage any more....
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Check the handbrake cable outers where they curve around the strut, they can break and cause dragging, also check caliper sliding pins are moving easily(needs pad removal for this) and lubricate pistons, I like to pull back the handbrake mechanism rubber cover and lubricate with an oil/grease mixture too.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Stewart(oily) wrote: Check the handbrake cable outers where they curve around the strut,
they'd have to be very long hand brake cables Stewart :yikes: :o #-o :-D :lol: :rofl2: :rofl2: , as this being a Xsara the H/B is on the rear wheels
Regards, malcolm.

Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

citronut wrote:
Stewart(oily) wrote: Check the handbrake cable outers where they curve around the strut,
they'd have to be very long hand brake cables Stewart :yikes: :o #-o :-D :lol: :rofl2: :rofl2: , as this being a Xsara the H/B is on the rear wheels

Xantias on the brain, thats me :)
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
smoker

Post by smoker »

Great thoughts and links, many thanks. I have bought new discs and pads so will have a set-to in the near future. Never thoughts about trying to lubricate sticky pistions (always assumed they would be lubricated by fluid in the system) so definately worth a try. I've wondered about replacing the flexies as a matter of course (>14 yrs) but don't like the look of the connection to the metal pipe. Maybe if I'm feeling brave...

Thx again.
52 reg Xsara 110 hdi
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

smoker wrote: I have bought new discs and pads so will have a set-to in the near future.
i would not fit new discs and pads till you sort the binding problem out, as brakes binding can and will cause warped discs then these will be scrap,
smoker wrote: Never thoughts about trying to lubricate sticky pistions (always assumed they would be lubricated by fluid in the system) so definately worth a try.
if the pistons are sticking it can be caused by the rubber boot between the caliper body and the outer edge of the piston not holding the dirt and water out,
so in this case it will be sticking on the outside of the main pressure seal,

the other cause of sticking pistons can be if there were another fault causing the pistons/calipers to over heat, in this case the seals tend to swell up, causing the piston to be very very tight,
Last edited by citronut on 04 Dec 2014, 13:59, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, malcolm.

wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

A brilliant device for investigating sticking brake problems are non contact thermometers like this one > http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/361135003818?nav=SEARCH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Take the car for a drive then stop & you can instantly measure the temperature of the brakes, you can then pinpoint which corner is sticking. They also have loads of other automotive uses & its something my toolbox would never be without now.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Hi wheeler - can you confirm the model of IR thermometer you bought and approximate cost ? Your link goes to a sale that has ended which shows a lot of similar suggestions of various prices but they're all slightly different models etc..

I've wanted one of these gun style IR thermometers for a long time, didn't realise they were so cheap now! Definitely one for the Christmas sock. :)

I have a suspicion my front brakes might be intermittently binding just enough to cause problems - a couple of times I've noticed a burning brake smell after moderate driving and the handbrake cable feels a bit seized in operation...(it pulls tight unusually quickly)
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive