misbehaving suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

froggy
donor 2017

misbehaving suspension

Post by froggy » 15 Nov 2014, 14:14

H imy S2 Xantia, the rear suspension of the car will not stay in the middle position.When doing Citroen robics, the front of the car will move happily through the three positions, but the rear will only move low to high or visa versa, not reconising the middle position. anybody got any idea? cheers Terry. :oops:

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Re: misbehaving suspension

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 15 Nov 2014, 14:22

I would raise her to full height, support her so she cannot drop (especially as the suspension is playing up; if you don't, and she drops, she WILL kill you!), and to check the linkages and mechanism at the back. It could be due to accumulated dirt causing the height corrector linkages to bind (apparently the height correctors themselves rarely fail). I am not sure about this, but it could also be because the dog bone has failed or come off (a plastic connector that links the anti roll bar to the height corrector linkages), or the clamp has failed on the anti roll bar.

I AM NOT KIDDING ABOUT THE NEED TO SUPPORT THE CAR BEFORE GOING UNDERNEATH HER, ESPECIALLY WITH SUSPECT SUSPENSION!! SHE MUST NOT BE ABLE TO DROP, SO USE GOOD SUPPORTS (AND THIS DOES NOT MEAN JACKS!).

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren » 15 Nov 2014, 21:10

froggy wrote:H imy S2 Xantia, the rear suspension of the car will not stay in the middle position.When doing Citroen robics, the front of the car will move happily through the three positions, but the rear will only move low to high or visa versa, not reconising the middle position. anybody got any idea? cheers Terry. :oops:
Agree with James, from experience, that it is most likely to be a dog_bone failure or that as in my case, the 'hook' for it on the ARB has rusted away

Mandrake

Post by Mandrake » 15 Nov 2014, 23:41

Yep, dog bone link or the roll bar clamp link.