misbehaving suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

misbehaving suspension

Post by froggy »

H imy S2 Xantia, the rear suspension of the car will not stay in the middle position.When doing Citroen robics, the front of the car will move happily through the three positions, but the rear will only move low to high or visa versa, not reconising the middle position. anybody got any idea? cheers Terry. :oops:
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: misbehaving suspension

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I would raise her to full height, support her so she cannot drop (especially as the suspension is playing up; if you don't, and she drops, she WILL kill you!), and to check the linkages and mechanism at the back. It could be due to accumulated dirt causing the height corrector linkages to bind (apparently the height correctors themselves rarely fail). I am not sure about this, but it could also be because the dog bone has failed or come off (a plastic connector that links the anti roll bar to the height corrector linkages), or the clamp has failed on the anti roll bar.

I AM NOT KIDDING ABOUT THE NEED TO SUPPORT THE CAR BEFORE GOING UNDERNEATH HER, ESPECIALLY WITH SUSPECT SUSPENSION!! SHE MUST NOT BE ABLE TO DROP, SO USE GOOD SUPPORTS (AND THIS DOES NOT MEAN JACKS!).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

froggy wrote:H imy S2 Xantia, the rear suspension of the car will not stay in the middle position.When doing Citroen robics, the front of the car will move happily through the three positions, but the rear will only move low to high or visa versa, not reconising the middle position. anybody got any idea? cheers Terry. :oops:
Agree with James, from experience, that it is most likely to be a dog_bone failure or that as in my case, the 'hook' for it on the ARB has rusted away
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Yep, dog bone link or the roll bar clamp link.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive