c5 service

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mm1

c5 service

Post by mm1 »

hi everyone.i have an 02 c5 hdi.the last time it was serviceg the sump stud
seemed to pull the threads on the sump,so just had to chemical metal it
back on solid.took the car to get service yesterday and he sucked it out
with an oil extractor.is this a good method?the reason i ask this is because
it didnt seem to suck out the amount of oil i thought would b in the sump.
he also over filled with new oil,is this ok?
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Re: c5 service

Post by Stempy »

Overfilling with oil is never a good idea, best get some sucked back out before something blows.

You can get the thread reapired with a helicoil or similar but probably best done with sump pan removed.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
Jeff
My Cars:

Post by Jeff »

Take it back and get a drop of oil sucked out but as long as during the service the majority of the oil was removed and a new filter fitted leave it alone. If your still concerned bring forward a couple of months the next oil change.

BTW up until last month (and for the previous 12 months) I had the max oil warning when starting my car. I'd only marginally overfilled it and have a dodgy sump thread like you so was not going to drop the small overfilled amount out.

If you start your car for a minute and turn it off and then restart you'll probably find the oil level in the sump is almost nothing, so I took the view it was good to have the over filled warning but in practice it would do no harm being slightly overfilled.....but as you have paid a garage take it back, its a quick fix for them.
Currently driving Citroen c5 2.0 HDI 51 Plate
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Depends how much is overfilled. A minimal amount won't do any damage but it's not best practice. If it's more than 5mm above the high mark get it removed.
As regards sucking the oil out with a Pella pump, a lot of garages do this now, especially those advertising cheapo services, but even some BMW garages do it now. The suction pipe goes down the dipstick tube and often drops very close to the drain hole so it's not a disastrous way to do an oil change.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

When my mother has her boat serviced, they have to use this way of getting the oil out, as the sump plug is nigh on impossible to see, let alone get a spanner on.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I use one on everything now. Didn't use it last time on the Berlingo because I'd filled it with old oil by accident and wanted to make sure it was completely dry of it. Used it twice recently on the Renault 4 engine in the DRK and got all the oil out both times.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
mm1

Post by mm1 »

thanks for all the replies guys.he overfilled nearly an inch,up to where the twist is on the dipstick.
the reason i asked was it a good way of taking out the oil was just because the sump looks slanted
back at an angle and it hard to imagine the small little pipe getting back there.
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

I'm wondering if the mechanic didn't try too hard to remove the old stuff. In theory the suction pipe should go to the lowest part of the sump or very close. If the pipe was pushed too far, it would coil upwards again and leave old oil in the sump. Assuming he made an effort to find the oil capacity of the engine , he would have put that amount in. If he hadn't sucked out all the old oil, then the level would certainly be too high. It would be poor practice for a mechanic to make a guess at how much oil was required, so you could have some old crap amongst your new oil.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.