LHM leak on the return... any "y" connectors handy?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

moosemaster

LHM leak on the return... any "y" connectors handy?

Post by moosemaster »

Hello one and all, I wonder if anyone can help me source a wee part?

Noticed a pool of LHM collecting under the front of my Xantia, took it into a garage and popped it on the ramp. There's a "y" shaped junction under the subframe that appears to be leaking, the mechanic reckons it's gone hard and brittle over the years and needs to be replaced. Does anybody know where I can procure such a thing, anyone got one handy? If anybody's had the same problem before and there's a quick fix I'd love to know.

Many thanks

Sean
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Re: LHM leak on the return... any "y" connectors handy?

Post by Stewart(oily) »

I have repaired return pipework using plastic push on connectors and fuel line suitable for diesel, I got the connectors on ebay and the line from my local factors.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Does it look like this? I have posted this long time ago for another member's leak case.
Since they are return pipes they are easier than the supply lines. As you can see those
pipes are "pop-in" type.

C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
moosemaster

Post by moosemaster »

Stewart(oily) wrote:I have repaired return pipework using plastic push on connectors and fuel line suitable for diesel, I got the connectors on ebay and the line from my local factors.
Thanks for the reply, that's good to know, would you be able to point me in the direction of the connectors you used? I've found some brass ones, not sure if they'd be suitable...
VertVega wrote:Does it look like this? I have posted this long time ago for another member's leak case.
Since they are return pipes they are easier than the supply lines. As you can see those
pipes are "pop-in" type.

The pipes pop into the connector but it looks different to what you've posted - I found this picture whilst trawling old posts trying to find a name for the bit I'm after; I'm after the connector the arrow on the left is pointing to...
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

You mean the ones over the rear sub frame :) The one I sent was in front sub frame, under LHM tank, close to steering pinion valve.

Any way the idea is same, pop in type and return line with no high pressure issues.
You can easily find them from scrap yards and they are almost with no value for the owner.

Edit: Here's pic from a scrap car. As far as I remember Y-link material is not metal but plastic/rubber as in my above pic's 4-way connector. This one would be the one on the right side in your pic :) Both left and right are same.

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Ive often knocked the offending item off the return stub at the front, just under the steering rack.

Ive got a car on the trailer to goto scrap, that had no leaks, unfortunally I wont be at the farm again till wednesday, but can have a look then and see if I can get it off it for you...
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
moosemaster

Post by moosemaster »

VertVega wrote:You mean the ones over the rear sub frame :) The one I sent was in front sub frame, under LHM tank, close to steering pinion valve.

Any way the idea is same, pop in type and return line with no high pressure issues.
You can easily find them from scrap yards and they are almost with no value for the owner.

Edit: Here's pic from a scrap car. As far as I remember Y-link material is not metal but plastic/rubber as in my above pic's 4-way connector. This one would be the one on the right side in your pic :) Both left and right are same.

Oooh, I'm still getting to grips with automobile terminology... #-o it's dangling alarmingly under the front of the car, and easy accessible when up on the ramp. Not sure if it's supposed to be... tis indeed plastic, thanks for the pic. Guess it's a scrappy hunt eh, can't find anything like it on ebay or online...

When swapping it over I take it it's just a matter of being as quick as possible?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if its the three way union in the last picy above here is price and part No. from citroen ( cough cough )

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
5451210 RET TUBE SLEEVE 12.65 GBP 15.18 GBP 15.18 GBP

one of the plastic pipes going to this union comes from the safety valve

theres no problem disconnecting these union as they dont have any pressure in them,
as they are just seepage/capillary returns
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Is it possible to send a pic of Y-connector? You can be sure that you'll get the item code and price here :)

In front and under there are not many Y-connectors. I guess it might even be the one in my first pic.
Since it has been cleaned, it might not look same as the one under the car which has collected
all the mud and oil for more than a decade.
Last edited by VertVega on 11 Nov 2013, 22:58, edited 1 time in total.
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Heres a link to what I have used, I think 6mm was the size, someone correct me if I`m wrong.
you will need rubber fuel hose to effect a repair too.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Y-Piece-NYLON ... 25786eaf5a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
moosemaster

Post by moosemaster »

citroenxm wrote:Ive often knocked the offending item off the return stub at the front, just under the steering rack.

Ive got a car on the trailer to goto scrap, that had no leaks, unfortunally I wont be at the farm again till wednesday, but can have a look then and see if I can get it off it for you...
That would be great, ta! Messaged a few folk on Ebay who are breaking Xantias and have been in touch with my local Citroen garage to see if they can get me the part. Will be in touch if none of my enquires are fruitful..
citronut wrote:if its the three way union in the last picy above here is price and part No. from citroen ( cough cough )

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
5451210 RET TUBE SLEEVE 12.65 GBP 15.18 GBP 15.18 GBP

one of the plastic pipes going to this union comes from the safety valve

theres no problem disconnecting these union as they dont have any pressure in them,
as they are just seepage/capillary returns
Lovely, looks like the right part - a google came up with a picture of the same piece

I think we're in business...
Stewart(oily) wrote:Heres a link to what I have used, I think 6mm was the size, someone correct me if I`m wrong.
you will need rubber fuel hose to effect a repair too.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Y-Piece-NYLON ... 25786eaf5a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ah great, I shall give this a shot if a replacement spongle doesn't work, thank you very much :)

Thanks for your help folks!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

it not worth fitting a second hand one of these, as once they have been pulled apart there is more chance of them not holding together for long
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
moosemaster

Post by moosemaster »

citronut wrote:it not worth fitting a second hand one of these, as once they have been pulled apart there is more chance of them not holding together for long
Very good point. Managed to get one ordered through my Citroen garage for a fiver, problem solved. Thanks for the help and advice everyone, you shall be rewarded in heaven :wink:
aneesh84
My Cars:

Post by aneesh84 »

VertVega wrote:Does it look like this? I have posted this long time ago for another member's leak case.
pipes are "pop-in" type.

Hi VertVega,

Exactly this part has cracked and LHM is leaking in my car. Can you please help me with the part number?
Xantia Estate 1999 2.0 HDI 110
C5 2005 2.0 HDI 138
Nissan Leaf 2018 40Kwh
aneesh84
My Cars:

Post by aneesh84 »

This is the picture of the leaking part from my car.

Xantia Estate 1999 2.0 HDI 110
C5 2005 2.0 HDI 138
Nissan Leaf 2018 40Kwh