Xantia rear brake calliper

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Taffyrhys
My Cars:

Xantia rear brake calliper

Post by Taffyrhys »

Hi All (xantia HDI estate Y reg (203K)

I was changing the rear near side wheel yesterday and noticed the rear brake calliper bolt(lower) has sheared so i have the dreaded task of replacing it over the weekend, having read a few of the other posts it looks like a pain in the butt, ha ho it has to be done and I will tackle it this weekend.

However i have a few questions for those who have already carried out the task.
1. Can the calliper be moved out of the way while i remove the broken stub or do i have to remove the calliper?
2. If i remove the calliper the Haynes manual indicates i have to use a new seal for the union pipe? is this correct and what size seal should i use.
3. if the brake pipe break do i have to renew it the whole length back to the engine?

I have the 2 new M10 bolts on order from Citroen Hatfield for £4.75, I have also ordered some M10 HT bolts & nut from e bay just incase i have to drill the broken stub out as plan B.

Glad of any help, but i will keep you updated.

Cheers

Ade :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
KennyW
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Re: Xantia rear brake calliper

Post by KennyW »

Hi there,

The calipers doesn't need to be removed but f you can and you don't break pipe. I would fit new seal 3.5mm. The stealers sell them and I think they were 96 p each (part no 96085784 I think)

The bolt is not as bad as you fear. With careful drilling and good sharp drills, no problem. But I would clean the surface between caliper and hub bracket for the (rusting) oxidisation.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

hopefully there will be something to grip when you get the caliper off, buy a pipe seal from the dealer when you get the bolts, and if yours look rough a set of pads and a fitting kit. Take extra care removing the brake pipe, if it breaks it goes across the car to a connector but a careful man will take the time to get it apart intact, I have even done the job without removing the pipe at all, but you need to do the caliper work in mid air, I hung the caliper on a string to keep the weight off the pipe.
the broken bolt goes right through the arm, in the worst case drill right through and either re-tap it or use an over long bolt and squeeze a nut on the back, while you are in there clean the white powdery corrosion off the rear of the caliper, I made a visqueen gasket to keep the steel and alloy apart, when the big bolts are out theres not a lot holding the caliper together, keep it clean and dont lose the O ring when they go back together. easy :)
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
Taffyrhys
My Cars:

Post by Taffyrhys »

I was wondering what type of drill bits i should by to drill through the HT bolt stub? i was looking in screw fix but I'm a little clueless on HSS bit?

Any help will do?

Cheers

Ade :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Würth are very good but quite expensive.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

As for the event of breaking the brake pipe, NO its not a pipr front to back, theres a K joint on the under side of the nearside subframe, the caliper pipes run to this K joint ...

Carefull removing the caliper pipe union, to watch for the pipe twisting with the union.. This happens a lot.. Try very carefull removing the other bolt first.. if it does come away, then you could split the caliper and then grip the union and twist the caliper to undo the union.

Seals are cheap, but in the event of not getting any, use a cross head screw driver and "Unscrew" carefully the seal out the caliper, cut the shreads off the seal and refit...

Sounds like a tricky job ahead, TAKE YOUR TIME, dont rush...
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
KennyW
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Use Cobolt drills if you've got them otherwise HSS.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Ade

The two little stubs with the nut welded on were the solution to my snapped rear caliper bolts.

You may have come across my struggles in this thread

Xantia-Rear Caliper Bolts Removal

The successful conclusion for me was getting a nut welded onto each of the stubs of the caliper bolts which snapped off

The heat helps with the removal although it would have been better with an electric welder as the oxy acetylene very rapidly turns the nut into liquid!

I rejected the drilling out approach, as there was still a useful stub to work with when the bolts snapped.

I am fairly confident I would not have been able to drill out with any degree of precision, or success with the equipment I had.

regards

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if like a C5 i did a while ago, the problem is not any of the bolt left in the thread on the cast iron arm, as this will come out with just a bit of heat to the lug on the arm the bolt screws into,
the bit that really put up a fight was the full length of the bolt shank stuck fast in the caliper body,

ended up in the vice drifting this out, hefty blows with a lump hammer all the way, it was very very stuck, i belive due to a slight over dose of thread/bolt locking compound :evil: :evil: :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll: #-o ,

as Paul say on the pipe and seal you do not often need a new one, but iof you do mind it is of the proper type, and not just any old bit of rubber you have lying around,

it would pay to purchase a pair of the caliper bolts just in case the other one shears off
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

citronut wrote:if like a C5 i did a while ago, the problem is not any of the bolt left in the thread on the cast iron arm, as this will come out with just a bit of heat to the lug on the arm the bolt screws into,
the bit that really put up a fight was the full length of the bolt shank stuck fast in the caliper body,

ended up in the vice drifting this out, hefty blows with a lump hammer all the way, it was very very stuck, i belive due to a slight over dose of thread/bolt locking compound :evil: :evil: :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll: #-o ,

as Paul say on the pipe and seal you do not often need a new one, but iof you do mind it is of the proper type, and not just any old bit of rubber you have lying around,

it would pay to purchase a pair of the caliper bolts just in case the other one shears off
That threadlock turned an hours work into most of day +1 on having spare bolts.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
Taffyrhys
My Cars:

Post by Taffyrhys »

Yes it was a bieetch to replace the sheared calliper bolt that took more than 4 hours and a few drill bits, however the disc cutter saved the day.

So i'm off to the pub for an crazy eight :-D :-D :-D .
Stewart(oily)

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Have you done the other side yet ??? :)
And will you be slathering the new bolts in copper grease
Ford Prefect
My Cars:

Re: Sv: Xantia rear brake calliper

Post by Ford Prefect »

Why copper grease?

In the southern parts of Sweden where the roads are salted during the so called "winter" - cooper grease combined with alloy calipers and supporting arms of steel will build up alloy oxid between the caliper and the supporting arm.

Haven't you the same problem in GB?

I always use metal free paste instead of copper grease.

Skickat från min HTC Desire X via Tapatalk 2
Owns: C5 X7 2.0 BlueHDi Saloon
Previous owned: C4 Picasso, XM (rebuilt to a Pick-up), Xantia TCT Activa, C5 2.0 SX Breake, Xantia 2.0 16 Valve Breake, SAAB 900, Audi 80, SAAB 99
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The oxide already happens even without copper grease. When I sorted out the oxide I used normal grease on the bolts when I put them back on.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:used normal grease on the bolts
High Melting Point grease?

I'd in any event probably use copperslip
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )