307 Hdi no starter question

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

trooper30
My Cars:

307 Hdi no starter question

Post by trooper30 »

Alright fellas :))
I have a 2002 2l HDi Rapier 307 sitting here, it wont start :(
If I bump start it, 2nd gear, pop the clutch turning the key, it bursts into life. There is no smoke form the engine, the engine and turbo pull well, no missing of juddering, firing on all pots well, infact it runs perfectly and pulls fine.
But once you turn it off it will not start again. It has lots of power and turns over fine, but just wont fire unless it has a bump irreverent if its hot or cold, or even it it was running 20 seconds earlier, and then runs perfectly with no warning lights on the dash!

Anyone any ideas, opinions appreciated fellas :-)
2000 Xantia Hdi
2006 Laguna DCi
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: 307 Hdi no starter question

Post by spider »

Does it crank fast enough ? , they do need a decent cranking speed as the injectors will not be signalled to be opened by the ECU if the cranking speed is too low.

The same for fuel pressure in the rail too, too low = injectors wiill not be signalled to be opened.

Both cases a push start would get it running as there would be enough build up from dragging it along in gear to force it into life.

I'd suggest having the codes checked, even if there's no 'k' light on now it may of stored something about fuel pressure that would be my initial thought. Possibly sensor in the rail or the pump itself.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
trooper30
My Cars:

Post by trooper30 »

When you say crank you mean turn over right? It cranks/turnover as quick as expected, no noticeable lag or slownes
2000 Xantia Hdi
2006 Laguna DCi
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Yes if its slow to turn it won't start as it needs to go at a decent speed. See here > http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 11&t=43319" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , it probably is not that though.

I'd go for fuel pressure concern if you think its cranking OK. I thought about injector leak off rates but I'd expect it to run / start just be very poor performance if they were really bad.

Go with checking for any stored codes then work from there.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
trooper30
My Cars:

Post by trooper30 »

Thanks for the advice, but I just took it out for a spin after changing the fuel filter which was black and a bloody powersteering burst all over the road so aint gonna put anymore time into it, just gonna sell it off for £600 as it stands.
2000 Xantia Hdi
2006 Laguna DCi
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would suspect the HP diesel pump, I had this problem with my C5, it got progressively more difficult to start when cold and was almost impossible when hot. I bought a secondhand one off ebay for £55 and changed the cam belt and water pump when I fitted it, it starts spot on now. Could possibly be the common rail pressure sensor but I changed it first on mine and it wasn't.

Peter