406 Hdi Starter on a 2.1 td & Clock Mileage Issue?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ceet12

406 Hdi Starter on a 2.1 td & Clock Mileage Issue?

Post by ceet12 »

Hello, my car is a 1997(8) 2.1 td 406 estate

sorry to bother with these questions, ive actually posted this on another forum aswell, so please accept my apologies if this is against any rulings, im trying to get as much info as possible

The starters starting to play up on my 2.1 td, ive confirmed this with a multimeter, so im needing a new starter

ive heard the hdi (valeo) starter is a better starter, more ampage and more powerful kickover on cranking, and also its a bonus for higher mileage vehicle with less valve clearance, (be handy if needed as more miles are clocked up!)

this is the post im relating to regarding the starter motor post 11

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =4&t=38095" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

basically ive read people fitting it to the 1.9 td i think??, can anyone confirm if this will fit on my 2.1td?? also there a lot cheaper new i think then an original one for the td, which will be harder to come by now??

The second question i have is all of a sudden my mileage clock has totally dimmed, its barely visible in the day and non visible at night (please have a look at included picture)

im not sure if these are a lcd unit?? does anyone know? or is it as simple as replacing a bulb behind the lcd display, i think its an lcd display>? could have sworn i had a simlar issue years ago and peugeot confirmed it was lcd??

if it is an lcd display can it be fixed without having to change to a new lcd display??, as obviously itl be costly to put the milage back exact on the new lcd display, thats if it is lcd??

or again is it as simple as a bulb replacement?

id appreciate any help as always,

Thanks again

Kindest Regards

EDIT*** Im finding it difficult to find a valeo starter on ebay for this? im i off the mark here? do valeo make starters for the hdi? if anyone has any links id be grateful, providing its ok with the rules

Cant upload image due to message "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached." ive tried to add it below

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: 406 Hdi Starter on a 2.1 td & Clock Mileage Issue?

Post by Peter.N. »

I think the mounting is similar on all the starters what you need to do is check that they have the same number of teeth. I have never tried fitting and Hdi starter to a 2.1 but they do seem the whap the engine over in the Hdi at a rate on Knots.

I believe the display is illuminated by one or more bulbs in the rear, I expect these need replacing.

Peter
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: 406 Hdi Starter on a 2.1 td & Clock Mileage Issue?

Post by spider »

There's one bulb for the odometer display. Its actually slightly different to the rest of the illumination bulbs, in that its classed as a "long life" bulb although a normal one will fit I'm sure. The panel comes out quite easily once you've carefully prised the trim off with a suitable blunt tool.

Regarding starters see this (may also apply to XU diesel units) > http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 11&t=43319" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG