Fitting a xantia heater matrix

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stekelly
My Cars: 2022 Trafic work van
2017 Kadjar

Previous
06 C5 1.6 HDI
00 Xantia 1.8
00 Clio 1.2
98 Xantia Activa (briefly)
97 Partner van
97 Safrane 2.5 Auto
94 Safrane 2.0

Fitting a xantia heater matrix

Post by Stekelly »

So I've done the easy bit and got myself a new heater matrix. Have to go and fit it now. Any tips? Do I just start stripping everything from the centre of the dash till I find it or what?

Cheers in advance.
Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Fitting a xantia heater matrix

Post by CitroJim »

Ste, a good search on here will pay dividends but in short....

Take care removing the scuttle panel to avoid breaking it and the windscreen. Use a long-bladed sharp craft knife to slice the bonding sealant...

No need to remove the LHM reservoir.

Try to separate the heater matrix water elbow but if you can't don't risk busting it but revert to plan B and separate the second joint inside the car.

Disassemble the dash and note how all wiring runs - take a few pictures if need be - some runs are not intuitive. make a note of any odd screws and where they came from.

The seats do not need to be removed to get the centre console out. Motor them right back and recline as far as possible. Disconnect handbrake cables at calipers so the lever can be pulled up to the maximum extent.

On the bulkhead, undo the nut and washer that secures the RH side of the heater box.

Split the heater box by undoing the two gold 10 mm screws and nuts top and bottom. If the elbow didn't come apart, disconnect the matrix at the internal joint.

Manoeuvre the wiring loom well out of the way. Pull the heater box back and remove the old matrix. Clean out the heater box of spilt antifreeze and other crud that may have gathered.

Reassembly is a reversal of disassembly.

That'll get you started. have fun!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

CitroJim wrote: make a note of any odd screws and where they came from.
isnt that what the glove box is for ( left over nuts, bolts, screws, and any other oddments you have left over ) :twisted: :wink:
CitroJim wrote: The seats do not need to be removed to get the centre console out. Motor them right back and recline as far as possible. Disconnect handbrake cables at calipers so the lever can be pulled up to the maximum extent.
i have never reclined the seats for this job, or disconnected the hand brake cables,
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Like to a previous (CitroJim!) thread in here: http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 11&t=29981" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote: i have never reclined the seats for this job, or disconnected the hand brake cables,
Maybe it's only necessary in a car with leathers and a driver's armrest Malcolm... If you don't disconnect the handbrake cables you can't, in my experience, pull the handbrake lever up far enough to allow the console to come out easily...

Richard, thanks for posting the link!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
h2ocooler
My Cars:

Post by h2ocooler »

Good luck doing that, done it once and it was FUN, think it was about 4-5 hours it took me.
Have plenty of plastic tubs for the bolts/screws and mark on them where they come from, makes life so much easier when putting it all back.
Only reason i did it was the heater matrix was blocked, changed it then the next year it blocked AGAIN!!!!!!
2005 Renault Laguna II Sports Tourer Initiale 2.0 Turbo Auto Estate
2003 Citroen C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive Captains Chair
2007 Renault Megane 1.6VVT Cabriolet Coupe Dynamique
02 C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive Auto Estate (my Dads) DE_FAPPED
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

superloopy wrote:Stekelly, whereabours in uk are you, not northeast by any chance?
Not unless there's a locality up your way called Dublin, Ireland Mike :wink:
Jim

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

CitroJim wrote:
superloopy wrote:Stekelly, whereabours in uk are you, not northeast by any chance?
Not unless there's a locality up your way called Dublin, Ireland Mike :wink:
:rofl: :rofl:
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

With my car being a left hand drive is the steering gear likely to get in the way? I'll just bet it will!
Fred, a silver 1998 1.9TD SX Xantia.
Gwin, a white 1994 1.1 AX.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Jaf wrote:With my car being a left hand drive is the steering gear likely to get in the way? I'll just bet it will!
No, because everything is a mirror image on a LHD car Jaf so you’ll be OK... The steering gear gets well in the way on an RHD car and the whole column has to be dropped down...

Mike, that sounds like a good gig :-D Didn't realise Billy Joel was still going...

I'm sure someone up your way will be doing a matrix eventually... Citroenmad's fairly local isn't he? He's got two Xantias :wink:
Jim

Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Hmm, thanks Jim. One less excuse then! Will do it one day.
Fred, a silver 1998 1.9TD SX Xantia.
Gwin, a white 1994 1.1 AX.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Unless you do them with a helper, and frequently, it is simpler to entirely remove the steering column complete with wheel.

I'm annoyed at having to take my dash out again for the collision repair pulling.
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Very useful having a second pair of hands to remove/lift out the dash from car, and for physically putting it back into car again
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Xantidote wrote:Very useful having a second pair of hands to remove/lift out the dash from car, and for physically putting it back into car again
I'd say bloody essential :) I know I can't lift a dash all on my own.
Jim