Xantia window regulator

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroenCrazy
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2000 Xantia Estate Exclusive, HDi
1999 Xantia Estate Exclusive, HDi,
C6 2.2 Manual
They're the modern ones.....

Xantia window regulator

Post by CitroenCrazy »

Hi all

I know this is quite a common one, and has been mentioned a few times on this forum, but I wonder has any kind soul done an idiots guide to repairing a Xantia window regulator ?

I've removed the failed assembly from driver's door of my S2 estate, and true to form, the grey slider has broken. I have a replacement on the way to me from ebay, but I'm struggling a bit to see how to reassemble the wires. Apart from anything else, I seem to have three free ends ??

Fortunately, nothing looks too mangled, so I hope I can get it fixed fairly easily, but if I jump in and splash about, I'm likely to do more damage than I started with.

Many thanks

Andrew
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Xantia window regulator

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

You will actually have 4 ends, as there are two cables. I have explained elsewhere on the forum how to re-assemble the mechanism; it isn't that hard but it is a bit of a PITA! I will assume you have the mechanism out and ready to work on. If I had pictures available I would post them. I have managed to do this myself, but it is awkward. The parts are a tight fit, and the tensioning arm and spring take practise to get them to line up properly (so when you have the motor, spool and cables off the frame, take the time to examine the arm/spring/frame layout).

Before starting, check both cables and the spool. If there are signs of damage I would seriously consider getting replacements for them first (a kinked cable is likely to pop off the spool, while a damaged spool could drop a cable).

Take the motor off the frame. The spool will come away from the motor. Fit one of the cables onto the spool, and wind it on until it gets to half way. Do the same with the other cable. They need to almost meet (groove next to each other, looking something like this when seen side on; _0_). Now secure them in place with tape (enough to hold them, but not too much, as you will have to remove it later).

At this point you can experiment without much chance of causing damage. Fit the slider onto the frame (making sure to get it the right way round). Now fit the tensioning parts (spring and arm) onto the lower end of the frame (again, make sure to get it right). This has to line up properly, otherwise you cannot get the cables to fit. Once you are satisfied the parts are fitted correctly, you can get onto the next bit.

Now re-fit the motor and spool, making sure to guide the cables through without snagging/kinking. Holding the frame in its' working alignment, IIRC you need to take the anti-clockwise cable (the one pointing up) over the top wheel, and then down onto the slider (and then fit it to the slider). Then take the other cable and fit it onto the other point on the slider. Now comes the tricky bit.

This requires some strength, and percywotsits (alright, perseverance). What you need to do is to get the cable onto the tensioner, and it is fiddly. The arm has two grooves; one at the pivoting point, the other at the end. Fit the cable over the pivot groove, and then over the end groove. If you have strong thumbs it will help. It can be done (I HAVE done it myself), but you might find that the air turns blue. A short, blunt flat screwdriver can help, but be careful.

Once you have got it all together, remove that securing tape on the spool, re-fit the frame, and good luck.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroenCrazy
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2000 Xantia Estate Exclusive, HDi
1999 Xantia Estate Exclusive, HDi,
C6 2.2 Manual
They're the modern ones.....

Post by CitroenCrazy »

Hi James
Thanks very much, it's starting to make sense now. I'll take some pictures as a I go along, & hopefully will be able to fit them to your words.
Cheers
Andrew
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If the cables or spool are damaged, then this might be worth a look;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-XANTI ... 4ab932303d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
MJM
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by MJM »

These may help.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77195466@N05/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MJM
1999 Dante red Xantia Exclusive 2,0 petrol. No smelly diesel for me. Now re-homed
2007 Wicked Red C5 Exclusive. Now a smelly diesel automatic for me.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

MJM wrote:These may help.
I'll say, most valuable :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MJM
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by MJM »

I've a few more of the regulator (not Will the dog!) if anyone needs them.
MJM
1999 Dante red Xantia Exclusive 2,0 petrol. No smelly diesel for me. Now re-homed
2007 Wicked Red C5 Exclusive. Now a smelly diesel automatic for me.