ROAD TRIP TOMORROW.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

ROAD TRIP TOMORROW.

Post by qprdude »

Off to Woking from Aberdeenshire tomorrow morning.
561 miles, then several mini journeys from Surrey to Sussex coast Hampshire and Kent, before heading back North around the 16th of May.
Should be around 1500 miles -ish by the time we get home so not exactly a world beating distance.
Joined the AA yesterday for a little peace of mind. Just the basic cover, but at £39 for a year ,( plus I get £20 worth of Boots vouchers) it seemed like a good idea.
I have a dealers warranty but they only pay up to £60 recovery and it can cost over £150 so I think it's worth it.

A96 - A90 - A9 - M9- M80 - M73 - M74 - M6 - Toll - M40 - M25 - A317 - A320. Job done.

Probably stop around Crewe/ Stoke for a kip as we are in no hurry. :)
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Re: ROAD TRIP TOMORROW.

Post by mooseshaver »

Watch out when your cover comes to renewal time. Despite my cancelling, the AA took the large renewal amount anyway. They would not agree to a refund until they played back the phone call I made and then took more than a month to pay it back after admitting it was their fault (operator ignored my cancel request)
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
taffy
My Cars:

Post by taffy »

tyre pressures!
99 silver 2.1td exclusive xantia
99 red 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia..
00 black 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
99 blue 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
06 silver 1.6 hdi vtr c5
57 blue C4 GP 1.6hdi exclusive
08 black C4 GP 2.0hdi vtr
taffy
My Cars:

Post by taffy »

aa is the best for sure (i got subby on my insureance but they will get me home)
was talking to one otherday as my mates turbo wastegate seized shut after only plodding about and put his foot down and blew all his oil straight out the zorst!
he was telling us that all he was seeing latelt was transits mk 7 as they were rushed out of the factory as it was due to close and they have been thrown together and fked up...he said :look at this...the ecu wire havent been tied up properly and they are rubbin againt the cross member...and sure enough they were..apparenty vauxhalls have also had issues like this..vectras was a big one...
heads up to transit ownwers drivers have a good look around ur vehicle!
99 silver 2.1td exclusive xantia
99 red 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia..
00 black 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
99 blue 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
06 silver 1.6 hdi vtr c5
57 blue C4 GP 1.6hdi exclusive
08 black C4 GP 2.0hdi vtr
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

mooseshaver wrote:Watch out when your cover comes to renewal time. Despite my cancelling, the AA took the large renewal amount anyway. They would not agree to a refund until they played back the phone call I made and then took more than a month to pay it back after admitting it was their fault (operator ignored my cancel request)
Had it before and I always phone and cancel. To be fair, they sent me a renewal notice in plenty of time, and I always insist on Email confirmation. I'm insured through the AA as well as they matched the best deal I could find online.
Rick.

mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

My insurance is with them too. And the recovery is free for a year with it, but they insist on having a card on file to charge if you don't stop the renewal which they give notice for.
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Yes, I had free recovery and home emergency the first year I was with them, but you don't get it free after the first year. It's getting to be standard practice to keep your card details on file and put the onus on you to cancel.
Rick.

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

My AA subscription has gone up and up, I had thought about leaving them but because I have been with them for over 50 years they keep adding freebies so shall stick with them for the moment.

Enjoy your trip. I was born and bred in Kent and shall be going to the north of Scotland next month so following you round.

Peter
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Arrived Crewe at 4 pm. Absolutely perfect so far.
Rick.

qprdude

Post by qprdude »

1170 miles so far, in supreme comfort. Sport mode in the Surrey hills was fun. Done Kent twice, East and west Sussex and Hampshire. Heading back north on Sunday, stopping in Carlisle as SWMBO is not keen on the journey without a break. No trouble so far, except for the left rear tyre needing a few pounds again to clear the tyre pressure alarm.
Rick.

neil123
My Cars: 2001 Xantia 110 Hdi Forte estate - owned from new.
1984 2cv Special
Various modern crap!

Post by neil123 »

Auto Aid - £39 quid, full service home start/breakdown/recovery - pay and claim, they organise a breakdown service, who you pay by card and reclaim. Does exactly what they say, includes spouse cover and covers you both in ANY car, in UK. A third of the price, been with them 10 years, claimed a few times, never waited more than an hour for a breakdown or three days for a cheque! Ring them on 01277720700 or Google AutoAid.

In Europe - (and in theory in UK - but read on!) ADAC. German breakdown club, the way AA used to be.
Check out http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=178187" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Their number is 0049 8022 22222 (If you get an answering machine in German, leave your number and they will call you back in English in office hours. Obviously their breakdown number doesn't do that - they always have English speakers!) They're also a lot friendlier than we're used to...!

About £60 quid for same full cover throughout Europe. Have to ring them in Germany, but they have English speaking staff and are like the AA used to be - still a breakdown CLUB, with club ethics and service. (They admit their service in UK doesn't win any prizes 'cos their partner here is the AA, who don't like Brits getting their service for less than half price...) so it pays to have both ADAC and AutoAid if you want the best in UK and in Europe and beyond...

Hope that helps.

No connection with either except as a very satisfied customer!

AA? Pah!
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Not sure whether it's of any help to be honest. I have already joined the AA. I have a full warranty, but only £60 cover for recovery, hence the basic AA cover.
Rick.