what would have happern if i had normal suspesion ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jacksun1987

what would have happern if i had normal suspesion ?

Post by jacksun1987 »

I got up for work normal day. Started driving noticed this thumping niose. Must have drove 5 miles it was getting loader. I stopped i did the back right side tryer was on the rim with holes in it. I didnt have my fone on me.. I drove back home this tyers with holes in it on the rim. Took me ages was going between 5 and 10 mph. Surly some kids deflated it or somthing. Surly a tryer doesnt go down over nite with no reason?
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: what would have happern if i had normal suspesion ?

Post by Mandrake »

There will be a nail or something similar in it - usually when I've had an overnight leak its been a nail, or on one occasion a sharp sliver of stone/concrete that stabbed through the tread of the tyre like a spear :shock: Because it blocks the hole it makes (assuming it stays in) the leak is very slow and may take all night to go down.

I bet you will find something like a nail or piece of glass buried in the tread if you look hard enough. (unless it was actually kids having a laugh)

PS did you not have a spare tyre ? Not sure that I would have been happy driving back home 10 miles on the rim, fancy suspension or not... And would you get pulled over for it if caught ? I'm not sure that "sorry officer, I didn't notice it" would have held water :lol:
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I drove a CX Safari for several miles on the newly built M5 some years ago, with a flat front o/s tyre, I thought the ride was a bit rough but the car handled fine, but that was a much better suspension/steering system than any modern cars have.

Peter
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Peter.N. wrote:I drove a CX Safari for several miles on the newly built M5 some years ago, with a flat front o/s tyre, I thought the ride was a bit rough but the car handled fine, but that was a much better suspension/steering system than any modern cars have.

Peter
Same here with my XM V6 SEi, was driving striaight as a Die, then when I came to a junction, thats when I felt the issue.. and had to change the tyre there and then!
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

This is the advantage (and dis-advantage) of the hydro-pneumatic suspension. I remember hearing that, not long after its' launch, a DS was entered into the Paris-Dakkar rally. During one of the stages the OSR wheel got removed by a large object (but the brake disc was left attached). Despite this slight problem the car managed to make to to the next service point, where a new trailing arm was fitted.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

You drove 10 miles on a completely flat tyre? No way, the tyre would have disintegrated long before leaving you with a badly damaged wheel rim.

And knowing you had a flat you drove 5 miles back? Pretty stupid thing to do no matter what speed. You don't have a spare or breakdown cover? You say didn't have you phone but there are still such things as public telephones.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

That was quite lucky!

Its a little different to a blow out at speed, as a sudden deflation upsets the balance and the sudden drag from the flat tyre will upset things further. Driving from rest on a flat should have been noticeable too, if it was right down on the rim. The ride quality of a Citroen and the stability it provides can mask such things slightly, which is why they have a few mentions of driving with flat tyres in their past.

It is an offence to drive with underinflated tyres, driving with a flat tyre (known about or not, as you really should) would not be an easy thing to get off with.

Of course, keep driving on a flat tyre and it will soon wear the sidewall very thin and you risk it coming off on a corner. Or the sidewall will wear right through and the tyre will come off that way. At speed, that is very alarming and with speed comes heat, which makes a flat tyre wear out over quickly. Even a soft tyre will wear out quickly at speed.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Homer wrote:You drove 10 miles on a completely flat tyre? No way, the tyre would have disintegrated long before leaving you with a badly damaged wheel rim..
I have no idea how long the tyre on my Xantia lasted when I had a blow out at 90. Probably more than 5 miles. I'd been smelling a slight burning smell for some time before I pulled into the motorway services to investigate. Tyre was completely flat but hadn't disintegrated at all. Smelt a bit. Handling was unaffected until I got into the services and had to turn sharply.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

jacksun1987 wrote:I got up for work normal day. Started driving noticed this thumping niose. Must have drove 5 miles it was getting loader. I stopped i did the back right side tryer was on the rim with holes in it. I didnt have my fone on me.. I drove back home this tyers with holes in it on the rim. Took me ages was going between 5 and 10 mph. Surly some kids deflated it or somthing. Surly a tryer doesnt go down over nite with no reason?
Rust inside the wheel rims leading to them not sealing and the tyre going down overnight. This happened to me on RUNN, the white Xantia TD I had in the summer, on both rears within a week of each other. Each time the tyre place inflated them and showed me exactly where they were leaking at the rim. A good wire brushing seems to have cured them as they haven't gone down since.
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

got the spear on now so need to get another wheel tryer from somwhere