O-Rings for hydraulic pump, Citroen Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Brianszens

O-Rings for hydraulic pump, Citroen Xantia

Post by Brianszens »

Does any know where I can get O-rings for the hydraulic pump for a Xantia Estate?

Also is it a special type of O-ring, or an standard one?
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: O-Rings for hydraulic pump, Citroen Xantia

Post by Mandrake »

They should still be available from Citroen - there are two types, small green ones and larger black ones, for the two different sets of pistons. (steering and suspension) You need 6 of one and 2 of the other. I don't remember off hand which ones are which, and don't have the part numbers but I'm sure someone will be along with those soon...

There is also a large o-ring behind the triangular plate that holds the pulley on - this o-ring is NOT available or even listed, however if leaking it can be replaced by a green square section seal intended for a suspension sphere neck! (I've done this before, so I know it fits and seals properly...)

Are you wanting seals because of a leak ? Have you positively identified where the leak is from ? There are a number of different places on the pump that can leak.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Normal/common leaks from the pump are from the large hex that the metal pipe comes out of, this takes an o-ring available from Citroen for under a quid and is dead easy to replace. It would be worth replacing the identical seal on the blank large hex. There's a non tensioned spring under the large hexes so careful they don't drop out.
The seal between the main pump body and the bell end which feeds the power steering can also leak. This large o-ring is still available from Citroen, gain for less than a quid (or just over), but it's a pump off job and a vice comes in handy to hold the pump body while you gently ease off the bell end which is held on by three bolts accessed through the holes in the pulley. Use the bolts to help pull the bell end back on tightening each one in turn a bit to keep it straight.

The torx piston caps rarely if ever leak.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Brianszens

Post by Brianszens »

Identified leak on the pump, it would be the black ring, if I can get them from citroen, I will give it a go. Thanks for the advice.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

O ring part numbers...

Item 5 is the delivery union O ring and Item 4 the piston (Torx) head O ring...

Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Just done this replacing seal 5 in the diagram as there was a steady leak. I think it is fixed but just want to check I did it right, when dismantled there was no sign of an old O ring.
No dealers near me so I bought some rubber seals for plumbing, they were 16mm internal dia (too big) and next size just too small but did fit.
I removed the threaded bit and it had a groove in the end with some sharp bits, looked like it might have taken an o ring but not sure. The larger ring was too big but I put the smaller one in, even though it didn't touch the sides. There seemed to be a groove in the base of the pump which may have taken a correctly sized O ring.

So all refitted and no leaks so far, do you think this will hold as the ring must be clamped between the two flat surfaces of the fitting and the pump. If the exact size is important then I will redo it, I think there are a couple of knuckes I didn't skin putting it back. Or is it a case of leaving well alone and buying a correct ring manyana ?
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The problem with a normal rubber seal is that the LHM will eat it over time.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Ah, I will get a real one from the dealer next time I am there which could be a couple of weeks or so.
The original one was either never there or dissolved completely :)
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Still a slight leak and needed LHM (Stop kept coming on) so redid it. Sadly the O ring has been shredded and presumably now in bits in my hydralic system.....
Just redone using PTFE tape on the threads and no O ring. So far so good still to confirm the system hasn't been damaged by the shredded seal, only time will tell ?
Still trying to decide if it is sell or fix as car has been unreliable for a few months now, this is just the latest. I thought all was sorted.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I can't see PTFE tape lasting long - those two o-rings in particular are under a lot of strain and even the original types are prone to leak, for example when the accumulator sphere is left to go flat.

Is it really that hard to get the correct o-rings from Citroen and fit them ? It's not really fair to say the car is unreliable when it's had the wrong o-rings fitted previously (both by you and by the looks of it a previous owner) and now has PTFE tape in place of a high pressure o-ring ? :roll: That will certainly not add to its reliability...

Reading one of your previous posts again I think you might be confused about where the o-ring actually goes ? On the two large plugs (hex head not the torx head ones) there is a groove half way up the plug just past the threaded section where a large o-ring fits. You have to carefully roll the o-ring from the bottom up over the threads to get it into place. There is no other o-ring for those plugs. It sounds to me almost as if you're trying to fit a smaller o-ring down underneath the plug ??
Simon

1978 CX 2400
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Darn it, or words to that effect.
I have just topped up with 1L of LHM which will all end up on the floor when I do this again. Sadly I think the O rings I have will fit if slid up the plug, 16mm internal diameter.
I did think the bit at the bottom would not hold an O ring as sharp edges.
Strange there is no O ring at all on it. I will remove the shield under the engine before trying again as it currently has about 1L of LHM soaked into it, and the garage floor. I will put something to catch it this time.
Reliability is a big issue here as it is possible to drive for hours and not see another car. I do have recovery but they will take it to the nearest approved garage. Last time on a Transit with duff starter motor I was charged 100 Euros labour and 700 Euros for an exchange starter, on a van worth 800 Euros. I could have bought the starter myself for 200 Euros online but as it was 100 miles from home I had no choice. I had another part replaced by a local garage, I bought it for 100 Euros, garage price (they laughed at it themselves) 380 Euros + tax. Hence my needing someting that works and can at least limp home.
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Did this yesterday, wore my glasses this time, so what I thought was a solid top to the plug was also a rubber ring crushed into a flat edge. Looked to be all one piece and took a stanley knife to get it off.
Fitted the O ring I had and it fits perfectly, so far no leaks. The old one was so soild that stuff was seeping past.
Managed not to lose the LHM by clamping the incoming hose so hardly lost any, wish I had thought of that earlier....
Hopefully all the bits from the misused O ring will end up in the filter at some point and not jamming the hydraulics.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Excellent. Lets hope it holds this time!
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

You live and learn. If the 0 ring was normal rubber it should rot down and not cause any problems, and any fragments should be caught by the filters in the LHM reservoir.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

charentejohn wrote: Hopefully all the bits from the misused O ring will end up in the filter at some point and not jamming the hydraulics.
i dont think it will as by the time the citro blood goes through the pump it is way past the filters,

it will probably end up in the steering pinion, the pump workings and or the regulator
Last edited by citronut on 03 Dec 2014, 13:44, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years