dirty windows

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

oneday
My Cars:

dirty windows

Post by oneday »

is there anthing better for cleaning car glass than meths and paper.
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
Northern_Mike

Re: dirty windows

Post by Northern_Mike »

White vinegar and newspaper, about a 1:5 solution, in a bucket. Yes, you need to buy a few bottles of vinegar, but the value stuff from Tesco does the job well. I've never had any luck cleaning windows with meths, but vinegar always works.

Someone bought me a bottle of Rain-X Window cleaner and rain repellent a couple of weeks ago. I've been using that on the C5, very good it is too. No squealing wipers, no crud sticking to the screen in the freezing temps last week. £2.99 for a spray bottle of it from our local Asda.
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

thanks i,ll give that a go
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

I used rain x on my old Xantia once and it made the wipers judder. Never managed to cure it.
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

isisalar wrote:I used rain x on my old Xantia once and it made the wipers judder. Never managed to cure it.
I've found Rain X a complete waste of time and money... Sorry Mike...

The best for cleaning windscreens inside and out I find is a good strong solvent. The stuff they use in the electronics world seems to do the job a treat... Electrolube ULS is my favourite for the job...

Brake Cleaner might also be good although I've not yet tried it...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

isisalar wrote:I used rain x on my old Xantia once and it made the wipers judder. Never managed to cure it.
Juddering wipers are invariably down to the wiper arms not holding the blade at 90° to the screen causing only one side of the blade to wipe the screen which in turn means that in one direction the blade is being "pushed" rather than flipping over and being pulled across the screen. Long story short, giving the wiper arm a twist along its axis in the appropriate direction normally sorts it out.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The problems I've had with Rain-X were solved by a late member of the local car club. He pointed out it was the grease in locust corpses (victims of high speed impact on the screen) that bonded well with the Rain-X to be extra stuck...

An alcohol based cleaner gets some things off, as does a good car washing detergent (without wax); I also clay bar my outside glass at times. Ammonia based cleaners shift stuff the alcohol or detergent often doesn't really move. Fallout removers also have a place, as minerals can bond well to the outside of glazing.

Inside I seem to mostly use ammonia based cleaners except on tint film where it ruins it, also acetone sometimes (again, not on tint). Meths and water solutions for the tint film ones.
TooMany2cvs
My Cars:

Re:

Post by TooMany2cvs »

I've always found that using a household squirt gun of glass cleaner and a wodge of kitchen roll does the job just fine, inside or out. <shrug> It's glass, after all... No need for anything more exotic or difficult or expensive to source.
Adrian
toomany2cvs (a) gmail.com
A miscellany of motorised silliness, from 0.75bhp to 9ft tall.
http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I use Tesco window cleaner - its brilliant.

Peter
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Re:

Post by myglaren »

TooMany2cvs wrote:I've always found that using a household squirt gun of glass cleaner and a wodge of kitchen roll does the job just fine, inside or out. <shrug> It's glass, after all... No need for anything more exotic or difficult or expensive to source.
Among other things I use an industrial glass cleaner (I work in double glazing manufacture) It works but the effects don't last more than a couple of days.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote:
I've found Rain X a complete waste of time and money... Sorry Mike...
I agree Jim, until I tried the new spray/cleaner that they seem to have brought out. Works well enough to be of use. More interesting to me is the fact it stops frost sticking to the windows, which makes my cleaning of the frozen windows on the way out of a nightshift so much easier.

The old stuff was cack on windscreens, but worked well on my helmet visor.
Northern_Mike

Re: Re:

Post by Northern_Mike »

TooMany2cvs wrote:I've always found that using a household squirt gun of glass cleaner and a wodge of kitchen roll does the job just fine, inside or out. <shrug> It's glass, after all... No need for anything more exotic or difficult or expensive to source.
I used to do this until someone bought me the bottle of Rain-X cleaner. I'll likely to go back to doing it when it runs out. Tesco value glass cleaner.
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

tried the white vinegar can report it works a treet
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN