Torx Bit

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

guzgog

Torx Bit

Post by guzgog »

Hi can anyone tell what size torx bit i need to remove the front brake caliper on a c5 hdi 2002, cheers Stan.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Torx Bit

Post by CitroJim »

I would assume the same as a Xantia - Torx T55
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

It may be worth you purchasing a *good* quality set of these as they are so handy its difficult to imagine a modern toolbox without them. If funds are tight (well, everyone's are at the moment lets be honest) Halfords may offer some at a reasonable price, the 'pro' stuff, although I've not looked.

Sometimes there are good quality ones on Ebay (yes really) as I've replaced a couple of my Mac ones with ones from there, smaller sizes and they have been good but I tend to steer clear of the really cheap stuff as its no good if it chews things up...

Torx bolts especially as they are annoying to get out if someone's damaged them, sods law says it happens to the inaccessible ones, XUDT inlet manifold in my case, the one nearest the OS the "difficult at the best of times" one (I think it was a rounded out hex key but same principle)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

spider wrote:It may be worth you purchasing a *good* quality set of these as they are so handy its difficult to imagine a modern toolbox without them.
Absolutely Andy. You can't really do much on a PSA vehicle without them really...

Quality is an issue though. Those caliper bolts will be tight and they need a good bit. Some are too soft and twist under heavy use and others are too hard and shatter with a breaker bar on them...

Draper ones I find are made of cheese but the Halfrauds Professional ones I find are excellent. I've given the latter some very severe abuses and even a T27 one will live to tell the tale after being on the end of a three foot breaker bar...

A tip for the caliper bolts... The heads are a bit shallow and tend to collect dirt which prevents the bit fully bottoming in the head. Clean them out and then hammer the bit in to make sure it's fully bottomed. Then use a long breaker bar gently rather than a short one harshly...

The bolts - if they've not been out previously - will be Loctited. A tad of heat on the bolts will help soften it. Be careful though as there's plenty to damage nearby if the flame is too big. Ideally heat with oxyacetylene...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
guzgog

Post by guzgog »

Cheers everone for all your useful info
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

It's worth getting a nice selection of 6 and 12 point torx bits. When they get old and crusty the socket in the bolt is quite easy to round out, and when that happens a nice solution is to select a slightly larger 12 point bit and hammer it in.

Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil: