Hdi Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Hdi Xantia

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

Evening chaps
I spotted a very nice Hdi 90bhp green Xantia in Nottingham the other day and now i am in two minds as to whether to actually buy it or not,the bodywork is stunning,interior is perfect and has been regularly serviced etc etc

My main concerns are that i don't know really know much about them or if there is much point in switching to a Hdi over the Xud which i am VERY fond of :lol: If i do get it i will stick a tuning box in more than likely.The main reason i want it is because the exterior and interior look like new :) Stupid reasons for wanting a car i know :twisted:

Are there any real benefits or advantages with the Hdi's?

I'm after spending (wasting) so much money on this current car that it's making me uneasy buying something that will need as much work again when it's going to leave me out of pocket just buying and actually just collecting the car

Convince me to buy it or tell me i'm mad [-o<
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
2008 C4 grand Picasso exclusive 105k #-o
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: Hdi Xantia

Post by DickieG »

Personally I'd only buy an HDi if it's the 110, same consumption as the 90 but much better performance, IMO the 90 is a bit of a waste of space.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Did they fit the 110 to the Xantia? The 2.0 Hdi is a very good engine, as mentioned the 110 is better but the 90 will give you similar performance to the 1.9 but a much better fuel consumption - if you don't thrash it.

Peter
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I know a couple of people with the HDi90, one with a Picasso and the other with a 307.
Both are bitterly disappointed with the performance.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Peter.N. wrote:Did they fit the 110 to the Xantia?
Yes, all Exclusives and a number of SX's were 110's, world of difference between a 90 and 110.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Ah right :?

Peter
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

DickieG wrote:
Peter.N. wrote:Did they fit the 110 to the Xantia?
Yes, all Exclusives and a number of SX's were 110's, world of difference between a 90 and 110.
I have a Berlingo 90 and a Xantia 110.

There is a world of difference between the engines. However, with a tuning box, or even better, a proper remap, the 90 can be made to give at least the same power and torque as the 110.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

The 110 HDi was initially the FIRST engine and was fitted from 1998 S reg.. So ALL S and T reg HDi cars will be 110.. The XUD 1.9 was then finally replaved on V so this is when theres the choice of 90 or 110 engines in V W X and Y reg cars.

ALL Exclusives are 110 bhp.. but an LX and SX can be either engine.

As for 90 bhp engines, What do you want? I bought in a 90bhp LX Xantia, and when I took it for MOT I was pleasently surprised how well it actually went!! It wasn't a slouch!

As for changing to HDi YES do it! I havent looked back, they just do not compare with each other.. better for high miles, less likely to have head issues, better fuel exconomy within reason of course, quieter!, better starter, no need to wait for heater plugs, or need to change them either!

Theres lots of high miles (well low in comparison) HDi drivers on here, Im one at 223k, and I bought history unknown, loosing water at 156k... Turned out to be water pump. Been perfect since..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
KennyW
Donor 2024
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Dave,

I bought a HDi 90 hp and I'm delighted with it as a replacement for the 1.9 TD as already said better fuel economy and power the same. I do think it responses better in acceleration than the 1.9 because it is direct injection.

Otherwise it is the same car, considering a tuning box but in no desperate hurray

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

The Hdi has different torque characteristics to the 1.9, it develops much more at low revs which means less gear changing and clutch wear at take off. Its much more like the 2.1 engine.

Peter
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

I just cannot make up my mind one way or the other :x

I'm very frustrated at the moment,i'm leaning towards not buying it simply because of the costs involved and because of how much money i have put into my own

Money is the main reason though i'd have to use all my savings and visit the "bank of mum",other than that i think i'd like to take a punt on it

We will see before the day is out one way or the other #-o
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

If it is going to stretch you both in terms of finances and time to do any repair work (there is always something, even with the perfect car), then I would stick with your 1.9TD. You have done a lot with that car and spent a lot of money on it, money you probably wont see back if you should sell. Plus you know your car and not the other one ...

Since its the 90bhp version I would stick with yours, performance will be very similar and economy will be slightly better but that doesnt justify the change totally. Yes the HDi is quieter and has a very different nature about it but is that reason enough?

Perhaps if it was the 110 then there might be more reason to change, as your gaining quite a bit of performance.

If your 1.9TD is a good one and your happy with it, just keep it :-D
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

citroenxm wrote:
As for 90 bhp engines, What do you want? I bought in a 90bhp LX Xantia, and when I took it for MOT I was pleasently surprised how well it actually went!! It wasn't a slouch!
The 90 is fine around town and pottering about, but compared to the 110, at , erm "motorway speeds", for overtaking, it is a slouch. The extra torque of the 110 really tells between 50 and 90 (or more, in Germany of course). You don't even have to change down going up hills like you do with the 90 (which, IME, has little effect other than increasing noise), just put your foot down and ride the big torque wave :-)
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

XantiaDaveEire wrote:Evening chaps
I spotted a very nice Hdi 90bhp green Xantia in Nottingham the other day and now i am in two minds as to whether to actually buy it or not,the bodywork is stunning,interior is perfect and has been regularly serviced etc etc

My main concerns are that i don't know really know much about them or if there is much point in switching to a Hdi over the Xud which i am VERY fond of :lol: If i do get it i will stick a tuning box in more than likely.The main reason i want it is because the exterior and interior look like new :) Stupid reasons for wanting a car i know :twisted:

Are there any real benefits or advantages with the Hdi's?

I'm after spending (wasting) so much money on this current car that it's making me uneasy buying something that will need as much work again when it's going to leave me out of pocket just buying and actually just collecting the car

Convince me to buy it or tell me i'm mad [-o<
Buy it. Stick a tuning box on it from http://www.tdi-tuning.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, and you won't regret it.

The 1.9 isn't a bad engine, but the HDI is a lot better. It's much more driveable, it's more economical, it is going to be newer and more reliable. Some maintenance - cambelts for example, are easier to do than the XUD. Oh, and the car it's in is nice and shiny inside and out, which always helps. It's not a stupid reason for wanting a car. It's not a necessity for me, but I do like the inside at least to be clean.
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

Citroenmad wrote:If it is going to stretch you both in terms of finances and time to do any repair work (there is always something, even with the perfect car), then I would stick with your 1.9TD. You have done a lot with that car and spent a lot of money on it, money you probably wont see back if you should sell. Plus you know your car and not the other one ...

Since its the 90bhp version I would stick with yours, performance will be very similar and economy will be slightly better but that doesnt justify the change totally. Yes the HDi is quieter and has a very different nature about it but is that reason enough?

Perhaps if it was the 110 then there might be more reason to change, as your gaining quite a bit of performance.

If your 1.9TD is a good one and your happy with it, just keep it :-D
Exactly my thinking Chris! which is why i decided against it :) I drove mine yesterday whilst i was still deciding and i love the agricultural sounding Xud :lol: and there was no way i could drop down from a car that i know so well and have always wanted.It's driving very nicely and won't need anything major doing in a good few years and that will only be a timing belt and waterpump change.

I'm going to get myself a rotary instead and spend some decent time trying to get the bodywork up to a good standard

Dave
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k