Balancing centreless alloy wheels.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

handyman
My Cars:

Balancing centreless alloy wheels.

Post by handyman »

Now my current car has centreless alloy wheels (well done Citroen!) and as I am getting new tyres fitted, a ring around my local tyre fitters, in an effort to track down a half decent tyre balancer, flagged up a compound that can be added into the tyre to aid dynamic balancing.

From the description offered, it seems to be a 'lead' type powder compound that is added into the tyre in a measured amount during fitting. No extra external balance weights are subsequently required, as the compound is distributed around the tyre when in rotation to counteract the out-of-balance factors.

Anybody any experience of this 'magic fairy dust'? Apparently it can be recovered from the tyre when the casing is replaced and reused, ad infinitum. :shock: And it does not void any manufacturers warranty! :shock:

Handyman
Lighty
My Cars:

Re: Balancing centreless alloy wheels.

Post by Lighty »

I have the gear to balance the centre less wheels, can't imagine why they are used :(
Have not heard about your space dust, but sounds like a great idea.

http://www.hbc-system.com/Balancing-powder-6668.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just found this, will ask my suppliers today :)
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

it would be cheaper to have your wheels balanced as the 7.5kg tube is 174.51 €,

if you cant find a tyre shop that can do center less rims my local Chesington tyres can
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I've come across quite a number of places that "can do" centreless wheel balancing, however they're all useless even after I've stood next to the guy whilst he re-calibrated his machine, the only place I've found that can do the job properly is a Citroen dealer in Chalfont, not that expensive either.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hmm, Crowborough to Chalfont on unbalanced wheels! :shock: :shock:

Malcolm, you've found the expensive gold version of the magic fairy dust. :-D Pang trade list price is a lot cheaper and is made from ceramic beads of differing sizes and nice colours. :P

Dickie, surprised that you had not had experience with this stuff through the driving school, or is it just too progressive?

As long as I can get a signed statement that it will not void any manufacturers warranties on new tyres, I might just give it a try, as I was quoted an all in price on tyres whether I had conventional weights or this space dust stuff and it was no different. Might well do it and report back. I do understand the physics laws involved and it should work dynamically. Supposed to adjust as the tyre wears and has life benefit properties on suspension components and MPG. Sounds so good I might even start taking it myself. [-X [-X [-X

Handyman
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Three attempts to get my centre-less wheels balanced right by a company that shall remain nameless. :roll: (partly because I'm embarrassed I went there :lol: )

What really gets me is that the first time they didnt even question the fact that they were removing 25g of balance weight and adding 145 grams!!! They just blindly followed what the machine said, no common sense applied whatsoever. :x

When I took it back to complain about severe shaking they blindly rebalanced it and ended up putting about 145g on again, now if I was doing that balancing job I would have used some common sense to realise that something was going wrong with the customer complaining about severe shaking and the machine suggesting such a huge amount of balance weight was required.

Third attempt the boss himself did the job instead of the apparently just out of high school underlings, found that there was a problem with the way the adaptor was mounting the wheel, somehow adapted it to fit properly and managed to do the balancing absolutely spot on.

So as far as I'm concerned it's not a fault of the rims or even the balancer machines, it's a fault in the operator technique, and a failure of common sense to see that the results the machine are giving don't make sense. In other words operator error.

Can someone explain to me why centre-less rims should be so hard to balance ? Surely the rim is still mounted at the bolt holes ? And when the machine spins the rim up surely they can judge by eye whether the rim is running true or not ?? If the rim is not visibly running true at the edges due to not being mounted correctly surely they must realise there is no point in proceeding with balancing ?!
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hi Simon, from previous experience in teaching 'Erberts how to use these adaptors on centreless wheels, there are many more variables to add to the factors affecting the final balancing. That includes making sure the spider/adaptor is in good order, fitting it to and recalibrating the machine to ensure it is running true, mounting the wheel evenly and ensuring the bolts/studs are pulled up evenly and that the wheel and tyre spin true. It always was more critical balancing centreless rims than the standard types and always takes more time, something most tyre fitting companies are not willing to give for free.

They have resolved the problem on more modern tyre balancers, they just do not offer the option! :shock:

BTW, tyre balancers only spin the wheel upto about 15mph. maximum to read the wheel dynamics.

H
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

My local tyre mob at the end of my road are almost good at centreless wheels... In fact I'd say they were satisfactory in all the dealings I've had with them...

They seem to understand their machine and the job in hand.

I'll test them again next week as new V6 need a new set of fronts.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Wot U gonna fit, Jim?

H
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

This does not help you in anyway :lol: However, there is a place less than 2 miles from me who balance centre-less wheels without fault. OUr 2002 C5 and my V6 have centreless wheels and both cars have had their wheel balanced there. The Traction (also centreless) was also done there and they are perfect, no vibrations at all.

So there are places who can do a good job!
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Spaces
Location: Rarely in one place for too long - Hebridean Islands and Yorkshire are my favourites
My Cars:

Post by Spaces »

Mandrake wrote:
They just blindly followed what the machine said, no common sense applied whatsoever. :x
Not a phenomenon restricted to tyre fitters - most sheep with access to a computer screen which issues them 'facts' are fairly dangerous beings in my experience. Actually trying to suggest they may not be right can be a dangerous activity in some cases!
PeterN: "Honest John's forum put the last nail in the coffin of owning a 2000- car. Many were still servicable, but CR, DMFs and needing fault codes read because your horn doesn't work - no thanks. All my life I have generally understood cars - until now."
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

handyman wrote:Dickie, surprised that you had not had experience with this stuff through the driving school, or is it just too progressive?
Hasn't been the need for it as all the wheels have centre hole plus there'd be the problem of cost and concern over the issue of wear to the inside carcass of the tyre over the life of the tyre. Fitting it to aircraft tyres is one thing as they do little more than 10-20 miles a day on the ground, whereas the average Police car does something like 300 miles per day. Looks like a very expensive solution to resolve a stupid design.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

handyman wrote:Wot U gonna fit, Jim?

H
Round black ones I expect....

Seriously, likely BFGs. Always got on well with them...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xantianut
My Cars: 2002 C5 2.0 HDi 110 SX

RIP:
1993 Xantia 1.8i LX
1989 BX16TRS
1986 BX14E x 2

Post by Xantianut »

Ay up!

I always found that Avons suited my BX better than any others. At the moment I have budget Fate-O tyres on my Xantia and they're great!

Also the local ATS here in Wolves does a pretty good job on balancing centreless wheels. Their fitters interpret wot da mashine tels um! :lol:
C5 HDi 110 SX (Fifi 7 or Otterchops)

RIP
Citroen Xantia 1.8i LX (Fifi 6)
BX16TRS (x2) (Fifi 4 and 5)
BX19DTR (Fifi 2)
BX14E (x2) (Fifi 1 and 3)
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Having found a good machinist again (the previous one expired) I reckon the smart money is on cutting the centres out, to accept Series 1 click-in caps.

Also makes releasing the driveshaft nut with the wheel on, easy.