Problem on hard acceleration

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xenton

Problem on hard acceleration

Post by xenton »

Hi,

The 2.0 HPi C5 I just acquired runs lovely, gets a decent MPG, but has a problem on hard acceleration. It hesitates and then warning lights come on and it goes into limp home mode. Switching engine off for about 10 mins and restarting returns everything to normal. Other than this engine runs lovely.

Experience would tell me to check air filter and MAF sensor but either one of those would normally effect the running of engine more generally?!?

Any help much appreciated.
Mark D.
2001 C5 2.0 HPi exec.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Problem on hard acceleration

Post by myglaren »

:welc:

Welcome to the forum Xenton.

HPi models are a bit of a rarity here, can't think of anyone else with one.

My first guess would be to check fuel rail pressure with a Lexia funning live data so you can see what is happening when it fails.
It will record the faults but a snapshot of what is actually occurring is invaluable.

If you happen to be near one of our members who have offered to run diagnostics for other members for beer tokens then I would take contact and go from there.
Or if you can make the CXM rally in Little Horwood at the weekend there will be several members there who will have a Lexia with them.
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

I have found he HPI to be a bit of a nightmare. Lexia is the only thing that will diagnose it for starters.
Main two problems are in tank low pressure pump with built in fuel pressure regulator, Citroen only now I think, ecp used to sell them,they are very expensive.
2nd and most common is the High pressure fuel pump on the end of the camshaft, all cars with this system seem to go wrong, and this pump is about £600 as well.
BMW mini with the psa engine has a similar type of pump, same as the pug 207 turbo and DS3. They fail a lot, bought a pump for a 207 from my BMW dealer in March. (£100 cheaper than Peugeot) he had sold 27 pumps since January:(
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
xenton

Post by xenton »

Thanks for the replies. The pump in the tank has already been replaced by the previous owner in an attempt to resolve the problem. I'm not to far from a lexia owner so I will drop them a PM later.

Thanks for the help.
Mark D.
2001 C5 2.0 HPi exec.
xenton

Post by xenton »

Right,

I'm coming up to meet all you wonderful people on Sat, and hopefully get my car diagnosed by one of you kind people.
Mark D.
2001 C5 2.0 HPi exec.
xenton

Post by xenton »

Right, unfortunately didn't make it to the meet, but have a lexia on order and a nearby member willing to help me.

I have just got the rest of the paperwork for the car which includes the service history. It turns out it was the high pressure fuel pump that was changed, not the tank pump. Also the EGR valve was replaced at the same time.
As soon as I get the lexia up and running and figure out how to use it I'll post with those details, but mean while any other ideas/suggestions would be gratefully received.
Mark D.
2001 C5 2.0 HPi exec.
xenton

Post by xenton »

Right, got myself a lexia, managed to get the software installed okay. If you could talk me through what options to go on to get me in the right place to log the live data I need, that would be great. I plan on exploring it fully at some point, just have to used a borrowed laptop and am pushed for time atm.

Many thanks
Mark D.
2001 C5 2.0 HPi exec.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

First off I would suggest running a fully diagnostic check. Do a Global search, it will run through all of the systems and check for fault codes - no doubt logged on your car if it has been in LHM. Then you will be able to go into the menus and find what the fault codes mean, clear them etc.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
xenton

Post by xenton »

Right I'm actually off to do this now, installed a clean install of xp on my mums laptop with only sp2 and lexis installed, so I'm off to try it now.
Mark D.
2001 C5 2.0 HPi exec.
xenton

Post by xenton »

Success, Plugged it in and it worked just like that. Got some fault codes. I'm pretty sure the EGR valve has been replaced, so maybe an old code and also a couple of fuel pressure regulation fault. I'll post pics, to ensure I don't mistype a code.

Mark D.
2001 C5 2.0 HPi exec.
xenton

Post by xenton »

I cleared the codes, am off for a drive after my Chinese arrives, then will see what codes have reappeared.

Would be very grateful to know what people think the problem is or how to obtain further, more useful data. I would guess fuel pressure regulator at this point, but that's probably too obvious, and I'm guessing things other than the fuel pressure regulator can cause pressure regulation problems.

I await your wisdom.
Mark D.
2001 C5 2.0 HPi exec.
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

hi think you had better type them you cant realy make them out from the pics
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
xenton

Post by xenton »

Ah sorry, here they are in higher res:

Fault codes are: P1162, P1291, P1288
Mark D.
2001 C5 2.0 HPi exec.
xenton

Post by xenton »

Just to add, this problem is much worse when the engine is cold, can rev higher without a problem once engine is up to temperature. I mention this as with most HPi fuel pressure problems I have read about, it's always been worse at higher engine temps, so thought this may be diagnostically relevant.
Mark D.
2001 C5 2.0 HPi exec.
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

P1162 SIRIUS 81 - Exhaust gas recirculation. Coherence

P1291 Injector High side short to GND or VBATT - Bank 1
SIRIUS81 (EW10D)- Fuel pressure regulation fault. Output/Locking.
Fuel rail pressure. Low value received.2

P1288 Cylinder head temp sensor Out of self test range
SIRIUS81 (EW10D) - Fuel rail pressure. Low value received.1

mostly seem to be pointing to fuel rail pressure. looks like you need to look at live data on a run to try and find the cause of the fault.
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN