Help wiper linkage!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jodyone

Help wiper linkage!

Post by Jodyone »

My drivers wiper stopped working (with a clonk) today, on a very rainy M4... Passengers is fine, but the two aren't linked any more. Any clues as to what to expect? Within the capability of a mobile mechanic today or will they have to order parts? Thanks for any help!
2006 C6 Exclusive, 2.7 HDi
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: Help wiper linkage!

Post by Xaccers »

Check that it isn't just the nut that's come loose and allowed the arm to slip free - fingers crossed it is! :)
Otherwise it's a scuttle panel off job which isn't dificult, just cut through the black silicon that holds it to the screen, and make sure you've got a new tube of it when you've finished.
There's a bung at each end that keeps it in place too, and a few pegs down in the scuttle that fit in gromets in the bulkhead.
Slow and gentle wins the day.
Once it's off you can see the wiper mechanism.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Had a quick look at my S1. Are you able to see between the black plastic scuttle panel and the bodywork, on the offside? If so, can you see the push/pull rod that transmits the to & fro motion from the wiper motor, which should be located on the nearside under the scuttle. When the wiper(s) are operating, is the rod moving? Has it come off at the joint where it connects to a short (3-4"?) arm that connects to the wiper spindle. If this has become disconnected, it might be possible to access it without removing the entire scuttle, by cutting out a small piece of the scuttle with a hacksaw blade. I've cut out a corner of my Xantia's scuttle (about 6" x 2"?) in order to sort out broken washer tubing. Rivetted the cut-out piece of scuttle back in place afterwards, just to make it look right. The piece removed did not affect the scuttle's integrity.

Presumably there's a similar connection (ball & socket?) at the other end of the push-pull rod, nearer to the wiper motor, and I guess it could also have come apart at this point instead - hopefully not, as in this case I'd hazard a guess that the scuttle might need removal, as Xac suggests

If all this seems intact, then as Xac suggests, problem is with the spindle & nut.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Jodyone

Post by Jodyone »

Thank you! I've found a local guy who's looking at it, but hes receptive to any help- I'll send him this thread. I hate not doing this stuff myself but work is ballistic currently..!
2006 C6 Exclusive, 2.7 HDi
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Useually when the drivers wiper stops its the Plastic "Cup" at the end of the linkage infront of the driver, you can just get at it without removing the scuttle.. Had this on mine a while back. Fitted another arm linkage from the drivers wiper to the centre all is well..

The cups dry their grease then the ball joint wears the nylon cup, it then pops off when theres too much wind resistance.

"Cut through the silicone holding the Scuttle"!! Pah, you be VERY luck to do that if its the original stuff citroen used!

The join is SOOOOOOOO hard your very likely to crack your windscreen. I have used a hair dryer on low to heat the scuttle and cut it at the same time. If you dont you either need the sharpest knife in the world or you want to fit a new windscreen after.

Mine is on its original "Glue" so I ended up cutting the scuttle to pieces to get at the linkages.

In hindsight, it only needs sticking down on the passenger side to stop water comming off the windscreen and going into the heater blower intake and into the car.
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Here's a mirror image of a LHD assembly which act as RHD windscreen wiper mechanism.
I hope it would be helpful.

What kind of knife do you use. Hair dryer tip is a good one =D>
Mine is still factory installed and may be one day I might need this information :-D
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

an old meat knife sharpened to obliviation!! a long blade to get a slight curve on it....
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Thanks for the tip 8-)
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual