Still having problems with aux belt tensioner

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dowen

Still having problems with aux belt tensioner

Post by dowen »

I set to this morning in the freezing cold, to tackle the hp pump leak.
So, I removed bolt "3", and really slackened "2", It will just not release!
I will sort that out later, I thought, and got the belt off by removing pump pully.

The leak was from the blanking bolt (19mm") I hope! the pump came out with no probs, and I have replaced all 8 "O" rings, got the pump back on.So I hope thats solved the leak for MOT!

Now, getting the belt back on!! The whole tensioner is loose and I cant see anything jamming it, but the idler just wont move more than a few mm towards the slack position to get the belt on. Strangley its only a few weeks since I changed the belt with no problem.
Can I remove the tensioner complete? I there anything that could jam it?

It was too cold to look at it , and I had to pack up before I went and fetched the lump hammer!
Regs Dave (xan V6)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Still having problems with aux belt tensioner

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, Dave, no problem in removing the tensioner complete. It comes off as a complete unit very easily after removing the big bolt the whole thing pivots on.

Here's a nice picture of the thing with the car removed for clarity!!!

Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
dowen

Post by dowen »

Thanks Jim, thats a nice pic! Looks like your pumps also got a leak.
Well I found the problem, bolt "2", had managed to get itself jammed in it`s slot, so as soon as I removed it completley the whole thing was free.

Replaced 8 O rings, on the pump and it still drips! How do you feel about thread sealent? or even PTFE?
Thanks again for your help.

Regs, Dave.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's good news Dave :-D

The pump had a biblical leak Dave :) That shot was taken when Old V6s engine was out during gearbox overhaul and is part of a sequence on cambelt changing...

Where exactly is the pump now leaking from? I've known V6 pumps leak from the shaft and cover the aux. belt in LHM. Is the back of the pulley wet.

The other problem might be a crack in one of the threaded bosses.

Also, and I've been cauget out like this before on a V6, the small rubber stub pipe on the feed side from the reservoir can develop hidden cracks and splits that weep. It looks for all the world like a leaky pump but it's just LHM oozing from feed pipe down the body of the pump and dripping off the lower hexagon...

Here's the one that caught me out... The split was undetectable and only came to light when I really went for it...

I felt like a right idiot when I finally found it. I'd looked at it twice in the past and never found it and then, thinking it was the pump at fault has Pleiades rebuild it :oops: :oops: :oops: It was that little pipe all along :roll:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
dowen

Post by dowen »

Thanks Jim, no its not that pipe I had it off and had a good look, also put kitchen paper around joints and they were bone dry, so it must be one of the bungs.The shaft is dry also.
When i took pump off it was too LHMy to see where the leak was.
I`ve got some locktite and new o rings on the way, Ijust hope it`s not cracked!
Still I`m getting quicker at taking it off, I still think its better taking headlight out, gives you room to get a flare spanner in.
Take a look at this:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220938466653? ... 1423.l2649.(sorry if that hasnt come up as a link)
They say its suitable for a V6!!
Regards, Dave.