HDi Xantia Exclusive???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

scr8pdo

HDi Xantia Exclusive???

Post by scr8pdo »

Right, now driving a proper riding Xantia (suspension working as should) my mrs has really taken to them :) but she would actually like something half decent like a phase 2 HDi, the 1.9 we are using is a great little motor but it does look a bit tired tbh as it was used as a minicab for yonks so I may get rid on Monday and start saving up for a nice HDi :)

Are there any potetial problems to be aware of with the HDi? My original plan was to run the 1.9 for a bit but it does look a bit tired and she fancies something a bit tastier, if it was me I would run the 1.9 for ever but its what she wants to do and I do have my own TDi Volvo to play with.

She has been looking at some very nice Exclusive Xantias and they do look the business with the leather trim, heated seats etc, very nice indeed, I will let you all know, but I really think she has been converted to Citroens now, just a quick question, what are the early C5s like?, she also has been looking at HDi 406 pugs namley the 2.2s :)
1997 2.1 Turbo Diesel Xantia SX
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Re: HDi Xantia Exclusive???

Post by Citroenmad »

The 2.0HDi 8v is such a good engine you should not really havy too many problems with them, even at high mileage. Probably a search around on here might be the best idea, looking at the highmileage HDi thread might give you some ideas as to reliability.

Exclusives are fully hydractive so more spheres to look after and make sure are good on purchase. Also check the electro valves function properly. Not deal breakers but haggling tools.

I wouldn't get a 2.2HDi 406 (or C5), stick with the 2.0s as they are more most simple and most hardy, not to mention more efficient.

Early C5s are good, totally different car to a Xantia but I do like C5s. Again go for the 2.0HDi.

Check my post here for some info on the C5s. Some of it (mainly specs and later 2.0HDi 16v 138 engine) applies to the C5II but essentially the same otherwise.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

I Ditto Chris's response... GO for the 2.o 8v early units.. avoid the 2.2 unit in early C5's..

Ive a Xantia Exclisove HDi 110.. just past 200k, and theres a fair few other HDis on here with 200k plus on them, and they are still sweet as a nut engine wise.. All other areas same as any other xantia... Spheres, Heater Matrix's, drop links, etc etc.

Service intervals on the HDi's are longer then the old TD's, in that the TD was around 6-7k intervals, and the HDi is 12.5k this CAN mean cars miss half as many services for Skimping owners...

The HDi really IS a cracking unit. Just cautiously check for cooling system pressure after a run, but should not be worried about. Water loss useually down to Water Pump if the head gasket is good. Rads have a longer life on the HDi too.. being an all alloy unit they dont seem to disintigrate like TD rads..

Then of course theres the Economy, carefull light driving should see 50+ mpg!
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I repeat all Chris and Paul has said :) Nothing to add really except to say that the late Xantia HDi Exclusives had the diesel-fired Eberspacher auxiliary heater rather than the electric glowplug immersion heater on the earlier models.

In the winter an auxiliary heater on an HDi is essential else they take forever to warm up (due to their high efficiency which gives rise to their excellent economy) and get heat going in the cabin. The Eberspacher is a fantastic heater when working but sadly they rarely do after a few years and they can be very expensive to get going again if the problem is other than the glowplug. The earlier glowplug immersion heater is a lot more reliable albeit with perhaps less performance.

Drivers seat heaters rarely work after a few years and lots of bums sitting on them. Mine at 203K does still work amazingly!

On the engine side they're pretty bombproof but do occasionally consume MAF sensors. A duff one makes the thing feel a bit flat and it starts to use a little more diesel.

Apart from what's already been said, just check the normal S2 Xantia things like strut tops, heater matrix and condition of the PAS feed pipe to the rack.

In short, the best Xantia ever... It has a lot of fans on here...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
imperial21
My Cars:

Post by imperial21 »

Here Here To that, I have had mine for 18 months and i think its such a good mix of econommy, comfort & performance, Though I have to admitt i wish i had an estate one !
1999 Xantia exclusive 110BHP !! Now RIP !!
2002 C5 estate 110 hdi, Happily sold on !!!
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

Its a personal thing, but I dont like the electric seats in the exclusive, as they make the seats too high, otherwise the best car Citroen made if you ask me.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote:
Drivers seat heaters rarely work after a few years and lots of bums sitting on them. Mine at 203K does still work amazingly!
Doesn't it just! I was warned when I bought the car about that "It burns your bloody ahse"... :-)
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

I have a 2.2 C5 Exclusive and done 20k in the last 14 months (now on 79k) has full history and no problems to date. The fluid additive has been topped up as per service schedule, I guess these give anti pollution trouble when they are not looked after correctly.

I am glad i got the 2.2 16v over the 2.0 8v but each to their own.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Activa_Mike wrote:
CitroJim wrote:Drivers seat heaters rarely work after a few years and lots of bums sitting on them. Mine at 203K does still work amazingly!
Doesn't it just! I was warned when I bought the car about that "It burns your bloody ahse"... :-)
I've found wearing clothes when driving reduces that effect :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Don't forget the Exclusive can be had with the 2.1 TD. Simpler engine with less electrical control to go wrong, much cheaper injection parts and if swapped over to a Bosch pump can be used with veg oil. Same output but slightly lower mpg and different torque curve.

Ive had a HDi Xantia & C5 Exclusive and 2 2.1TD XMs. Both are good engines but with the HDi you really need access to a Lexia if it goes wrong. Oh and a good remap on a HDi makes them even better. I'd still like a HDi XM!

Steve.
not applicable
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi Jim,
Not sure if it is relevant to Eberspacher units on cars, but as I said elsewhere in this forum, we had to fire the heaters up in our trucks at least once a month in the summer to stop the burn mat drying out. Dry burn mat = pig to get going properly when you want it, if it goes at all.
Greg

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
scr8pdo

Post by scr8pdo »

Thanks for the replies, we will be defo looking for a nice HDi then, do these have DPFs on though and if so do they play up etc, I havent heard a bad word said about the 2.0 HDi 8v not just here but elseswhere, I was warned to be careful of the 2.2 as they can go wrong but they sound like a very powerful diesel, I would be happy with the same performance as the 2.1 if the HDi provides it!

Seen a couple of leggy HDi Exclusives on ebay with high miles but they do seem to be a good motor, thanks for all your help guys
1997 2.1 Turbo Diesel Xantia SX
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

2.0 8v HDi's don't have DPF, 2.2's HDi's in the C5 and Peugeot's are best avoided like the plague from my experience, I've had the dubious pleasure of working on a few of them now and wouldn't touch one with a barge pole.

If you're going for a Xantia the HDi is the preferred option for me, engine torque is greater at lower revs than a 2.1 so it picks up quicker from low engine speeds and has far better economy, I feel hard done by on the rare occasion I get less than 50mpg, the last fill up was 54.5mpg :-D HDi's are also far quieter, if you need to do an early start with a 2.1 park it well away from your neighbours :wink: The auxiliary belt tensioners on 2.1's are a complete pain in the proverbial to change and don't appear to last very long either.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Prilliant03
My Cars:

Post by Prilliant03 »

Just ticked over 180,000 miles on my HDi during a trip to Glasgow and back and it still refuses to miss a beat while seeming to sip fuel like a pensioner with a glass of sherry.

Now if I could just figure out the electrical mayhem..... :?
98 Xantia HDi 110
02 Aprilia RST1000 Futura

Life is like a sewer...... You only get out of it what you put in.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

scr8pdo wrote:Thanks for the replies, we will be defo looking for a nice HDi then, do these have DPFs on though and if so do they play up etc, I havent heard a bad word said about the 2.0 HDi 8v not just here but elseswhere, I was warned to be careful of the 2.2 as they can go wrong but they sound like a very powerful diesel, I would be happy with the same performance as the 2.1 if the HDi provides it!

Seen a couple of leggy HDi Exclusives on ebay with high miles but they do seem to be a good motor, thanks for all your help guys
I would be afriad of high miles at all either, as long as the service is good.. and theres NO pressure in the cooling system. Mines just ticked 200k, see another topic on here about peoples and their high milers! Theres a few about. They certainly ARE NOT like the XUD cousin which suffered a lot of cooling system problems.. I think this is down to useing a multi layered steel gasket from factory, unlike the XUD that didn't..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto