Gearbox oil, should I be worried? C5 2.2 HDi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Millerboy79

Gearbox oil, should I be worried? C5 2.2 HDi

Post by Millerboy79 »

Hello,
I changed my drivers side driveshaft at the weekend, I'm just a little concerned that when I pulled the driveshaft out I didn't lose a drop of gearbox oil! Not even a trickle. I did mean to check the level but the sleet kind of put me off!!! Is it normal to lose no oil? The box isn't notchy, everything selects as it should! But no oil loss!
Cheers Todd
NOW- Renault Megane Scenic RX4 52 plate! 1.9 DCi
C5 2.2 HDi P.O.S Shed on wheels! Ripped from the Citroen factory in 2001! With a manual gearbox! <<<<<<GONE!!!!!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Gearbox oil, should I be worried? C5 2.2 HDi

Post by CitroJim »

It's not normal to loose no oil when swapping a driveshaft in a manual box but perfectly normal if it's an automatic 'box. They run 'dry splines' and have a different sealing arrangement to a manual box that run wet driveshaft splines.

In my experience manual boxes can survive for ages and ages on a very little oil with no symptom but will fail rather badly when under a heavy load, such as towing. I had a case recently where a Pug 306 TD wrecked it's gearbox spectacularly whilst towing another car over a distance of 90 miles. Until then it had been fine for months and months despite being almost dry.

If yours is a manual 'box then drain what's left in there as it will not be good and refill with the specified amount of new oil of the correct grade...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

yep it's a manual ;)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

jgra1 wrote:yep it's a manual ;)
Then it's empty :wink:

If so the reason will almost certainly be a failed driveshaft oil seal. They're cheap and easy to replace and they all use the same ones, MA, BE and ML...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Not forgetting that LH and RH seals are different.... :-D
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i spoz if you had the car upside down whilst swapping the driveshaft it wouldnt loose any oil :shock: :twisted: :roll: :wink:

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote:i spoz if you had the car upside down whilst swapping the driveshaft it wouldnt loose any oil :shock: :twisted: :roll: :wink:

regards malcolm
Yes it would, it would run out of the breather :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

Millerboy79

Post by Millerboy79 »

I've decided I must have a peculiar car. I drained the oil out of the box, all 1.8 litres of it! And put the same amount back in. It didn't lose any when I changed the driveshaft yet it had the right amount in.
C5 2.2 HDi P.O.S Shed on wheels! Ripped from the Citroen factory in 2001! With a manual gearbox! <<<<<<GONE!!!!!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Well :? There's bizarre! Can't explain that one unless you changed the driveshaft whilst parked nose-down on a steep hill :)
Jim

Millerboy79

Post by Millerboy79 »

I thought it strange! And it was up at the front drivers side when I changed it. The whole bloody thing is odd!!!!