Fixing battery terminals - how to?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vince
My Cars:

Fixing battery terminals - how to?

Post by vince »

Hi guys,

Ok, since the Xantia was crashed into ive been somewhat on the fence as to wether to carry on fixing it up or to bide my time and then shift it and get something else......I cleaned it up the other day and decided it is still a great car so im going to fix it back up :wink:

Ok....i need to get the dashbulbs done but firstly need to tackle the negative battery terminal. Its knackered. Last night i got into the car and waiting for the glow plug light to go out. Whern it did i turned the key and everything went dead...the CD spat out and all power was gone. I got out, shut the door, locked it and unlocked it with the key and then everything was back normal again and i drove home. Straight away i thought...earth problem somewhere.

Today i have checked the battery negative and its very loose although its bolted up. The problem is it has been repaired in the past and the bolt when tighted as much as possible has started to cut through the body of the terminal. This means i cant tighten it up any further or it will break. Whats the best way to fix it? Im cant just hack off the terminal and put one of those bolt on jobbies as ive been told in the past it would involve removing the complete negative lead which in itself is a big job?

I was thinking to get a second hand lead of anotehr Xantia and swapping it over....anyone done this or have any other ideas?

Regards
Vince
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Fixing battery terminals - how to?

Post by citronut »

if you get the clamp type of repair terminal which clamps the cable core, rather than the type with two grub screws that go through the core, you can just cut off the old terminal and fit the new in situe,

it is obviously better to find a good second hand lead and fit that though

regards malcolm
mirafioriman

Post by mirafioriman »

I've just had the very same issue. Hacked off the old terminal in situe and fitted a new universal one with the two screws holding the cable in. Sorted the problem, the car now starts much better.
Former Proud owner of a 1994 Citroen Xantia 1.9d and BX 19RD

Now driving an Alfa 159 but god I miss the Xantia!
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

If you pm me your address Vince I've got a pair of decent clamp terminals you can have.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

citronut wrote:if you get the clamp type of repair terminal which clamps the cable core, rather than the type with two grub screws that go through the core, you can just cut off the old terminal and fit the new in situe,

regards malcolm
I only found the grub screw type, can you point me in the direction of a clamp design one? I had to replace all three of my negative terminals on all three Xantia's I owned, the original design only works with the correct terminal thickness, no design for lee-way which I suppose is fair enough seeing as it should give the best possible earth.
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Awesome! thanks for the repliesd guys....there is light at the end of the tunnel :)

Rich i'll PM you my details....

Vince
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Dommo wrote:
citronut wrote:if you get the clamp type of repair terminal which clamps the cable core, rather than the type with two grub screws that go through the core, you can just cut off the old terminal and fit the new in situe,

regards malcolm
I only found the grub screw type, can you point me in the direction of a clamp design one? I had to replace all three of my negative terminals on all three Xantia's I owned, the original design only works with the correct terminal thickness, no design for lee-way which I suppose is fair enough seeing as it should give the best possible earth.

dont tell Vince but it was GSF's opposition ECP had the clamp type, they are also quike release from the terminal, lever operated,

regards malcolm
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Same as is standard on the C5 arent they?
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

vince wrote:
I was thinking to get a second hand lead of anotehr Xantia and swapping it over....anyone done this or have any other ideas?

Regards
Vince
Had the same problem with the +ve terminal on an Activa recently. Got a very good heavy duty type clamp from Halfords of all places. I chopped the old clamp off with a Dremel as close to the clamp as possible. Pushed cable in, tightened the two decent clamp bolts that hold the cable in place, fitted it to the battery, tightened it up and it solved the problem. Took me about half an hour to do a proper job.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Activa_Mike wrote: Had the same problem with the +ve terminal on an Activa recently. Got a very good heavy duty type clamp from Halfords of all places. I chopped the old clamp off with a Dremel as close to the clamp as possible. Pushed cable in, tightened the two decent clamp bolts that hold the cable in place, fitted it to the battery, tightened it up and it solved the problem. Took me about half an hour to do a proper job.

Picture of clamp fitted here - public link

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope that helps
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The original terminals are just lead alloy; you can saw them with a hacksaw blade - first to cut off the eye, then longitudonally in several places to peel the lead jacket away. No loss of length then.
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Re:

Post by Dommo »

addo wrote:The original terminals are just lead alloy; you can saw them with a hacksaw blade - first to cut off the eye, then longitudonally in several places to peel the lead jacket away. No loss of length then.
That's what we did, and it worked well enough.
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Awesome guys thanks....thanks for the picture Mike
Northern_Mike

Re:

Post by Northern_Mike »

addo wrote:The original terminals are just lead alloy; you can saw them with a hacksaw blade - first to cut off the eye, then longitudonally in several places to peel the lead jacket away. No loss of length then.
I started to do this, then realised there was plenty of spare length on the cable, got bored with cutting gently, and just chopped the manky end clean off.
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

One could also remove the securing bolt on the clamp, hacksaw about an 1/8th inch off one of the opening lugs, refit securing bolt and presto, one tight clamp again

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS