C5 Estate brake line replacement - What do I need?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PeteB

C5 Estate brake line replacement - What do I need?

Post by PeteB »

One of the brake lines that run the length of the car from the front to the rear is badly corroded near to where it joins the fexi hose at the rear.

It looks like a 3/16 pipe, am I right? What are the union sizes? Can i use a standard flaring tool?

Citroen want £66 for both pipes which is a joke. I was hoping just to make one up.

I cannot see most of the pipe as is it covered by shielding, is there a join under the car or does the pipe run right into the engine bay?

Thank you.

Peter
Buchan Loon

Post by Buchan Loon »

I've got a similar problem with my car. Pipes are 3.5mm or 4.5mm and specific to Citroen. Bench flaring tools are available but around £200. If you want to flare on the car there are mini tools, but they are very difficult to come by, one on Ebay this week made nearly £90!
Your best bet is to measure the length of pipe you need and get a company called Pleiades (google them) to make up a pipe complete with ends for you mail order

*sorry, just noticed yours is a C5, mine is a Xantia, I'm sure someone will be along to correct the above if it doesn't apply to C5's*
1999 Xantia 2.1 TD SX
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

do C5's have conventional pipe flair's, as i belive they use a conventional Euro box brakeing system,

not like full hydraulic citroens,

i think Steve ( myglaren ) will possibly know

regards malcolm
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I believe that is correct Malcolm but can't say for certain.
PeteB

Post by PeteB »

They are not fully hydraulic like older models. They have a separate braking system.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

PeteB wrote:They are not fully hydraulic like older models. They have a separate braking system.

yes we know this that is what i stated above, as the XANTIA is/was the last fuul blooded hydraulic citroen,

regards malcolm
PeteB

Post by PeteB »

Ok, thank you. Do you know if there is a join in the pipe under the car or does it run into the engine bay?

Peter
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

Brake pipes on a C5 are standard. They can be replaced with 5mm-3/16" copper or steel pipe using pipe, nuts and unions available from most auto factors. Flaring tools are available from about €20
PeteB

Post by PeteB »

That is great thank you. So I just get some 3/16 pipe and the unions are of a standard size?

I have a flaring tool I can borrow.