Xantia suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

Xantia suspension

Post by froggy »

Hi, When I start my ,1997 Xantia , the suspension rises, stops at its height. Then as Iam about to drive off, it jumps up again ( back only )
is this correct ? many thanks in advance, cheers Terry .
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

may be whilst you are waitting for it to rise you have your foot on the brake pedle,

as this would cause what you are getting,

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The jump you see Terry is the rear anti-sink valve closing when it shouldn't. This may be caused by you keeping the brake pedal pressed or by a completely flat anti-sink sphere. Despite it's name, the anti-sink sphere, whilst having nothing to do with sinking does have a little to do with preventing 'jolts' in the rear suspension by maintaining a reserve of pressure to keep the anti-sink valve from inadvertently operating as it appears to be doing.

It will often happen if you keep your foot on the brake so it's worth consciously trying not to and seeing if it changes the symptoms.

Because the anti-sink sphere seems to do nothing useful, it's often neglected despite its important but largely hidden functions.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

Xantia suspension

Post by froggy »

Thanks Jim
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC