Sudden head gasket failure

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

martinwiseman2000

Sudden head gasket failure

Post by martinwiseman2000 »

Hi,

Last Friday evening after driving about 200 miles and with 30 miles to go my Xantia 2.0 16V (W reg) suddenly overheated. I stopped immediately the red light came on and found the top radiator hose had blown off. After about an hour and a half the hose was reattached and the radiator filled. Cranking the engine produced a fountain from the radiator filler at which point the car was declared dead and loaded onto a tow truck.

I now have the head off and was surprised/concerned that the failure is not obvious. I was expecting to see a clear point of failure or physical damage on the gasket but can't.

Is this normal for a HGF and other than having the head pressure tested and checked for flatness should I be looking for anything else?

Prior to the failure there had been no history of overheating and no symptoms of HGF (such as mixing of oil and water).

Thanks,
Martin.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Very odd! Is there much corrosion to the water passages in its head? How does the thermostat look? Check it's open and shut temperatures if you can cobble up a double boiler with saucepan and basin.

The other weird one (very "old school" in terms of modern engines) is a split bore.
martinwiseman2000

addo wrote:Very odd! Is there much corrosion to the water passages in its head?
No evidence of corrosion at all.
addo wrote:How does the thermostat look?
Looks ok, but I'll test it this evening.
addo wrote:The other weird one (very "old school" in terms of modern engines) is a split bore.
I was wondering about that, as it's the only other place a fault could lie. Would it be obvious it would it only be the sort of thing you could find with a pressure test?

Thanks,
Martin.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Sounds though, more like that fact the gasket hasn't failed, but due to lack of water the head has got too hot... and warped the cylinder head instead..

When you refilled at the side of the road did the car actually start and run?

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

or maybe it was just your rad fan/s were not cutting in,

regards malcolm
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Mine's a TD engine but I had the same issue - over-pressurised coolant from combustion gases. The gasket showed no signs of damage (see my blog pics) so I too was concerned there may be other engine damage but with a repair gasket and head skim, she's still going strong 10Kmiles later.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The other possibilty of course is a cracked head :(

Peter
martinwiseman2000

citroenxm wrote:When you refilled at the side of the road did the car actually start and run?
No, it coughed and spluttered, sounding as if was only firing on one or 2 cylinders. I stopped cranking before it actually ran.

When I took it apart there was water in the middle two cylinders. Assuming this was the case when I was cranking it the damp spark plugs would have prevented them from firing. I assume the fault would have initially occurred on one cylinder and that the overheating warped the head allowing a second cylinder to leak.

Martin.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

At a wild guess, I'd say the head's been off before, and there was a pre-existing issue with one or more bolts bridging the centre two bores, then.

Either too tight (entered plastic deformation stage) or not fully tightened (perhaps torqued in wrong order).
martinwiseman2000

Update - the engine is back together and so far looking promising. The temperature is stable and there is no evidence of the cooling system pressurising.

Unfortunately there is steam coming off the radiator, so I guess it was damaged by the pressure. More expense. javascript:emoticon(':(')