Xsara suspension variants

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Haakon
My Cars:

Xsara suspension variants

Post by Haakon »

I am finding the ride quality in my 2002 N7 Xsara 2litre automatic intolerably firm and bouncy... It seems to be particularly bad in the rear, and freeway driving in particular is horrible as it does a really irritating bouncing motion.

In short, it rides like a new Corolla - not a french car... :roll:

Now given the Pug 306 was known for its good ride quality, I am wondering about what the differences were across the 306/Xsara platforms.

Would I improve matters successfully swapping in shock absorbers from 306, or even a 206 - or do I need to be swapping in torsion bars/springs as well?

ie - is the firmness in the shocks, springs or both?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the torsion bars are the spings,

you will probaly find the rear arms are sitting at the bump stops, and over here the usual fix is swap the hole rear axle for one in better condition,

over her also when they have no travel in the rear suspension it is an MOT faliure,

regards malcolm
Haakon
My Cars:

Post by Haakon »

I realise how the suspension works - i meant torsion bars and springs, as in bars at the back, springs at the front.

Its not on the bump stops...

Its only 90,000km old - nothing is worn out.
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

The firmness and height is a mixture of the springs and dampers I believe.
The 306, ZX and Xsara are essentially the same car so the rear axles (and most other things) are reasonably interchangeable, not entirely certain how different the spring and damping factors are between them though. I know there were extra stiff suspensions fitted to the "sportier" versions of these cars, no idea whether or not the Xsara had stiffer suspension by virtue of being slightly heavier.

Perhaps invest in some adjustable dampers? Touch more expensive than stock, but you'll probably be happier with the outcome.

-Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
Haakon
My Cars:

Post by Haakon »

I'm beginning to think this model has VTS spec suspension - many Australian spec cars have an odd mix of specs like that...

There are some 306s at a local wrecker, I'll try some rear shocks off one of them and see what happens. Would be nice is softer shocks do - really not enthused at the effort of changing torsion bars or the rear beam complete!!

Anyways, was just hoping someone had an idea of what models had softer settings, and what were sportier. And did N7 Xsaras tend to the firmer end normally.
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

As far as the Xsara goes, the VTS and VTR are the sporty models with stiffer and subtly lower suspension.
On 306s the GTi-6 and XS models were the sporty ones.

Hope that helps :D

Hehe if you were in England, I'd be interested in doing a swap actually...my Volcane has a standard rear axle for whatever reason.
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
Haakon
My Cars:

Post by Haakon »

VTS and VTR both had the firmer suspension - thats interesting, as they're the only 2 variants we got! Although its a bit tricky when they made up specs for Oz cars.... Mine is supposed to be a VTR, but its an EW10 2litre automatic 5 door with no side airbags - not exactly a sporty drivetrain or high spec cabin. (awful seats - must dismantle drivers seat to add foam in the lumbar area...).

Would be nice to find a chart with all the different spring, bar and shock variants, and how to identify exactly whats in your car!

In my case, I just hope the bar/spring differences are minor, and the firmness is mostly in the shock absorbers.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Use Service Citroen to ID the actual bits fitted, then cross them against other specs. Most Australian delivered PSA cars are specified for poor roads and dusty atmospheres.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the shockers just control the springing rebound,

regards malcolm
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

The spring and damper rates are harder for all the sportier ZX, Xsara and 306 models. Without checking my workshop manuals, I think the front and rear anti-roll bars are 24 or 25mm diameter as opposed to 20 or 22mm for the lesser models. I seem to remember the torsion bars also being thicker by 1-2mm and the front spring rate will also be harder.

If you can find a lower spec ZX, Xsara or 306 the damping rates for the front and rear shox are also softer. All the parts are interchangeable between models, so you could try changing both anti-roll bars and the rear dampers. This does not apply to the break/estate models. They are different again.

The front springs for petrol models are softer than the cars with diesel donkeys.

You may get a softer ride but the rate of roll will also change, which will change the handling characteristics of the car.

If you were here in the Mother Country, I'd be able to help you set the car up correctly to your requirements. I can travel to Oz, but you'd have to buy the airline ticket! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I am currently running 206 diesel front shox with standard ZX springs and ARB, Xsara gas filled rear dampers and std springs, set two notches higher, with stiffer ARB on my ZX. Takes more for the backed to break away, but when it does, its like a switch going off, whereas before it would send me a telegram warning me of an imminent change of handling. Before the mods, I was able to get a front wheel to lift on tanking corners. :oops: :oops:

Handyman
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Citronut wrote "the shockers just control the springing rebound, "

No. no Malc, these are all two way damping nowadays. They work on compression and rebound. :lol: :lol: :lol:

How's your lectrickery? Did you get my email? :roll:

H
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Local content: Not sure on 206 diesels, never had any Oz delivered ZXs, very few 306 diesels and none in the Xsara.

I think relative to a medium/high spec longer wheelbase car like a Laguna or 406, you are always going to feel the Xsara is harsher.
Haakon
My Cars:

Post by Haakon »

I'm actually comparing it to the lighter Renault 21 at the moment - thats a magic carpet compared to this thing...

I'm sure its probably perfectly normal, and no doubt in keeping with the move to a firmer ride such as what the 307 was so criticised for...

Combined with a pretty poor seat design, its just uncomfortable. There is a 206 at one of the pick a parts - I'll grab its rear shocks as an experiment.

Overall though, were a bit underwhelmed with the whole thing. I'll move it on if I can anything approaching what I have spent. In the meantime though, I'll continue to play around with it ;)