Xantia series I Heater Problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

farghi

Xantia series I Heater Problem

Post by farghi »

I Hope Ive not missed anything, Ive searched the forums for answers I have been unable to find an answer, so here goes!
1. I dont have a leak on my matrix
2. The cooling system is not losing water
4. I have flushed the matrix from the engine bay, no restriction lots of water passing through no sludge.
5. The heat emanating from the heater is akin to my asthmatic auntie wafting her weak mildly warmed "sherry" breathe across my face, its bloody freezing.
Any clues hints or advice would be greatly appreciated
Farghi South Wales - bloody freezing !
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Hi Farghi, welcome to FCF!

Are the hoses actually getting hot when the engine is running? What's the engine temp doing? Does the car have climate control (ie numbers on the heat scale rather than just a cold - hot colour scale)?
Richard W
farghi

Post by farghi »

RichardW wrote:Hi Farghi, welcome to FCF!

Are the hoses actually getting hot when the engine is running? What's the engine temp doing? Does the car have climate control (ie numbers on the heat scale rather than just a cold - hot colour scale)?
Hi Richard - thanks for the prompt reply in answer to your questions
1.The heater hoses are getting hot but i can touch them
2. the engine temp is around 70 - 80 'C normally rises to 95 - 100 under load when towing for example
3. Car does not have climate control
4. I have blanked off some of the radiator in an attempt to get more heat out of car heater. slightly more heat car engine runs hotter 85 - 90
5. The only way to get a slight heat is to put heater control on re circulate - warmer but misty ! due to my breathe being re circed!
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

First cheap attempts: Change thermostat . Then Rad cap. If no luck. Go through the bleeding procedure.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi and welcome

is there much/any blow comeing from any of the heater vents,

if not and asumming the fan is working through all speeds up to full blow,

does your car have a pollen filter if so it might be blocked ( fit new one ),

also ist not usualy obvious that the matrix is clear/clean by passing water through the in and out spouts as both go into one end chamber, so you cant proove one way or the other, unless your matrix is getting hot,

regards malcolm
farghi

Post by farghi »

lexi wrote:First cheap attempts: Change thermostat . Then Rad cap. If no luck. Go through the bleeding procedure.
Right - stat changed in summer - no change, rad cap not changed but will try that
Thanks
farghi

Post by farghi »

citronut wrote:hi and welcome

is there much/any blow comeing from any of the heater vents,

if not and asumming the fan is working through all speeds up to full blow,

does your car have a pollen filter if so it might be blocked ( fit new one ),

also ist not usualy obvious that the matrix is clear/clean by passing water through the in and out spouts as both go into one end chamber, so you cant proove one way or the other, unless your matrix is getting hot,

regards malcolm
Malcolm thanks for reply - so the matrix is fed from one end ! so therefore the core maybe clogged up with gunge - just like domestic rads can get ! So in effect the result is a "short circuit! of heat in and out of the matrix.
If I now try to desludge the matrix ...... hmmmm smell of anti freeze no doubt and a new matrix required!!
G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

Malcolm wrote:

Now that is interesting, do you know if the matrix is similar to the one in a BX?.

If so, then the water flow and return does go into the chamber at the end of the matrix, but the molding has a divider built in between the flow and return.
Regards Brian.
Brian - 86 Visa 17D Sorn(192K)/ 86 BX 17RD (220K) Scrapped/ 92 BX 17TZD Turbo Diesel (191K)
96 306 XRDT (174K)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i dont think a partision Brian or at least not on the BX one's i have seen sepperated,

farghi
are you aware of what sort of job fitting a new matrix to a XANT is

regards malcolm :shock:

regards malcolm
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Pretty sure there's a partition on the one we fitted to Cassy, and resonably sized circulation pipes with heat disipating fins on them too.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
farghi

Post by farghi »

citronut wrote:i dont think a partision Brian or at least not on the BX one's i have seen sepperated,

farghi
are you aware of what sort of job fitting a new matrix to a XANT is

regards malcolm :shock:

regards malcolm
Er yes... thats why Im checking to see if I can try everything else 1st not the best weather to try and change a matrix especially outside?
G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

Well I have unearthed the old leaking one I kept for a reference.

There is definately a partition, difficult to show on a picture, but see below:

ImageImage
Just visible through the top holes.

Is this similar to the xantia ?...
Brian - 86 Visa 17D Sorn(192K)/ 86 BX 17RD (220K) Scrapped/ 92 BX 17TZD Turbo Diesel (191K)
96 306 XRDT (174K)
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Yup that looks like it, though the Xantia one is black.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

Thanks, there are what looks like aluminium springs that are fitted down each of the tubes, I assume to enhance the heat transfer, or to give the water flow a rotation effect to reduce crud drop out.

Also worth noting, when the water gate valve is in the off position, water will still flow through the valve, but not through the matrix.
96 306 XRDT (174K)
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Farghi, having read through your replies, you make no mention of bleeding/purging air from the system. Air in the cylinder head will normally purge itself after a short period, once the stat has open, but the heater needs to be bleed.

Before you start changing things, it might be worth doing that. Easy enough to do, just undo the valve cap on the heater matrix pipes elbows and replace once all the air is expunged and coolant fluid is coming out.

I have resolved this very same problem in a number of cars and it has always worked. :roll:

Does your blower motor do that, blow? That may be faulty, especial if it is a Mk1.

It might also be worth checking the stat in a bowl of hot water with a thermometer. Surprising how many 'new' units are very inaccurate, although I doubt this is your problem.

Xac, they come in all different colours, black, natural, sliver, etc........

Handyman