ZX Broken key

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chlorate
My Cars:

ZX Broken key

Post by Chlorate »

I swear this car is trying to wind me up...
First the accelerator cable comes free and now this.

Ah well.

To business, is this gonna mean I need a new door lock and ignition barrel or is there a way to get a replacement key?
Even though the key I had wasn't an original; it fits the driver door, the ignition, the glove compartment lock and the (what I think is) alarm on/off thing under the bonnet.
So I'm guessing it was a replacement for the original key.
Would I be able to ring up a stealer with my chassis number to get a replacement, or would any locksmith be able to make a replacement from the broken bits?

-Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

If its the original the dealer might have the key blade code, but I am not sure.

When they were new (depends on age I think) you got a small tag on each set of keys with the number if you ever needed a new key.

Not to be confused with later transponder key codes, the tag is the actual key number.

A good locksmith should be able to make a key out of the broken parts though.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

This car seems to have a questionable history at best, hard to tell which bits are original and which aren't, and no sign of a key number anywhere. Thankfully tis an old key so no transponder to be found here.
Managed to recover the broken off bit from the lock, so it's a case of walking around the locksmiths of Brighton to see if anyone can do it.

No chance someone's familiar with Brighton locksmiths? :lol:

Thanks

-Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

There is a good hardware/architectural ironmonger in the North Lanes, Brighton, can't miss it as it is a ***kin' big shop. They should be able to do it.

I had the same problem with my ZX, but the key snapped in the ignition lock. :shock: Managed to retrieve the parts. 8-)

I now have Peugeot locks on all my doors as they do not wear like the useless Citroen ones.

H