Xantia Suspension Oscillation (Fixed! solution on page 2)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bostwickenator

Xantia Suspension Oscillation (Fixed! solution on page 2)

Post by bostwickenator »

I have a Xantia 96 estate (petrol 2.0i, auto, hydractive) and wondered if anyone could help me answer a few questions about the suspension. I find that when I hit bumps in the road I fairly often (depends on speed and bump shape) get a oscillation or harmonic if you will. The car will bounce up at the front then the back then oscillate between the two noticeably 3 or so times. In another car I would say it felt like soft shock absorbers but I wouldn't have a clue with a Xantia *lol*. Turning hydractive to sport (light on) makes the ride a little less disconcerting but not what I would call sporty. I believe the sphere's have leaf valves that do the damping? Do these get weak over time? I should also mention that the rear end drops quite rapidly after engine off. Sometimes it can take five minutes sometimes 30 seconds.

Any answers or pointers would be appreciated, I'm quite out of my depth here.
Last edited by bostwickenator on 05 Dec 2010, 05:11, edited 1 time in total.
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

Do you know whether the spheres have ever been changed? There's 8 on a Hydractive anti sink car!

Healthy Citroens could be described as bouncey to most people, it depends on how severe the bounces are. If it's a harsh bounce some of the spheres sound low on pressure and need replacing, however if its a slow wallowey bounce over a speed bump for example, that's fairly normal,
bostwickenator

Post by bostwickenator »

Unfortunately I don't know if the spheres have been changed. Is there a way to test their pressure?

The bouncing is wallowey at around 60hz so it seems very noticeable. My previous Xantia felt very different but it was the Hatch and didn't have hydractive so maybe it is just that.

Just to make sure I understand correctly old spheres with low pressure will cause sharp bumps because the gas has less of a cushioning ability? Where as 'good' spheres will give a bouncier more floating ride. If my old spheres were flat I think I preferred that +_+.
Jimothy
My Cars:

Post by Jimothy »

My old Xantia developed this problem - it is linked with the loss of nitrogen gas from the spheres, I believe.

I read that the spheres can be "topped up" if the loss is within certain limits, but if they've gone too far then the spheres need replacing, which is an expensive job in my experience, so get it looked at sooner rather than later.
bostwickenator wrote:around 60hz
Don't reckon that's right BTW (if it is then it's not the same problem afterall) - 60Hz means 60 cycles per second, which would feel like a buzz (like driving over a cattle grid at speed) rather than a bounce.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

The problem could be down to some sphere's being low on gas or having the wrong sphere's fitted, they can be tested for pressure, I and one or two forum members have sphere pressure testers, whereabouts are you as I'm willing to test them for you.

As for the rear of the car dropping that may well be down to the rear Hydractive block not closing which could also be a cause of the wallowing as that could mean that the rear of the car is permanently stuck in soft mode. Have you tried pushing down on the suspension when the engine is running then turning it off closing all doors, waiting for 30 seconds after which the Hydractive suspension should switch off (you should hear a faint click under each end of the car and a buzzing noise stop) then again pushing down on the suspension, at this point the suspension should have switched to firm and be harder to push down on.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
bostwickenator

Post by bostwickenator »

DickieG wrote:The problem could be down to some sphere's being low on gas or having the wrong sphere's fitted, they can be tested for pressure, I and one or two forum members have sphere pressure testers, whereabouts are you as I'm willing to test them for you.

As for the rear of the car dropping that may well be down to the rear Hydractive block not closing which could also be a cause of the wallowing as that could mean that the rear of the car is permanently stuck in soft mode. Have you tried pushing down on the suspension when the engine is running then turning it off closing all doors, waiting for 30 seconds after which the Hydractive suspension should switch off (you should hear a faint click under each end of the car and a buzzing noise stop) then again pushing down on the suspension, at this point the suspension should have switched to firm and be harder to push down on.
Unfortunately I'm in New Zealand so it would be a bit of a trip to get the spheres to you. I'll check with our local Citroen branch and see if they can test them for me.

As for that test you described I'll do it as soon as my girlfriend gets the car home. I figured the humming would be related to the suspension but the manuals don't mention it.
bostwickenator

Post by bostwickenator »

Jimothy wrote:My old Xantia developed this problem - it is linked with the loss of nitrogen gas from the spheres, I believe.

I read that the spheres can be "topped up" if the loss is within certain limits, but if they've gone too far then the spheres need replacing, which is an expensive job in my experience, so get it looked at sooner rather than later.
bostwickenator wrote:around 60hz
Don't reckon that's right BTW (if it is then it's not the same problem afterall) - 60Hz means 60 cycles per second, which would feel like a buzz (like driving over a cattle grid at speed) rather than a bounce.
Very interesting I'll definitely ask about this at Citroen hopefully it is somewhat cheaper than a new set. And you are completely right about the speed I in fact meant 1Hz. (I've got to start proofreading)
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Get in touch with Chris de Jong if you need new (aftermarket) spheres. He constantly sells them on TradeMe at very decent rates.

All spheres should be tested regularly - even a "new" one before it's fitted!
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Just to cover the simple things first...

Have you exercised the system to expel any air in the suspension circuits? Air bubbles can give symptoms similar to those you describe.
kevlights
My Cars:

you may need a spheres and LHM flush out with filters clean

Post by kevlights »

http://www.fastfrogs.co.nz/index.php

http://www.fastfrogs.co.nz/index.php/topic,5719.0.html

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =324761990

and for some home work this

http://www.attfield.dircon.co.uk/Hydrau ... Xantia.pdf

explains the ins and out of the suspension

next time you are passing a car sales yard take the Citroen you see on sale for a run to compare with yours ,cheap comparo info to be had first hand!!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The simplest way to check the spheres is to bounce each corner of the car with the engine running. A hydractive with good spheres should give a movement of 4"-6" at the rear and a little less at the front, if you are not getting anything like that spheres need replacing.

Peter
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Theres always a problem with "Newer" owners to Citroens identifying the citroen "Bounce" and "Float"

Im not point the "Newer Owner" description at you, bostwickenator, or anyone in particular..

Theres a VERY obvious difference with the Flat Bounce and the Gass Float!

The bounce gives a sort of "Rubbery" type of Flex bounce, were as gasses spheres give a nice smooth floaty bounce, its NOT a bounce really, more like a Shot shock absorber on lesser "Normal" boring cars...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

There seems to be a bit of a time-warp in this thread, the original post was 2 months ago :?
bostwickenator

Post by bostwickenator »

Lets do the time warp again!

Since I've posted this I've noticed that the bounce is only in the front suspension the back rides perfectly. Would this further suggest that it is the front spheres that have lost pressure?
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It's also well possible your front ride height's excessive. Have a look about halfway down the page in this linked thread, for my photo of unmolested ride height at the front with motor running.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... c&start=15